Midnight: A Lost Faith's Shadow. Book 1, The Awakening. Chapter 2, Flight

Hrothgar

First Post
The Erenlander smiles at Starhl. Aye. You won't find anyone supporters of the Shadow in the Blue Sky Traders. But come. Why are you here? Who sent you. And what is your business with the Blue Sky Traders?

Aislinn grasps Kaela, unwilling to let go. I am fine. I was safe with the Giant as my protector. But, we almost left you... The girl shudders with the memory. She turns as Fallax shambles into the trees, wheezing loudly in the wet night. My heart will burst if we keep this up! complains the old academician.

Lodric searches the base of the old oak, slipping occassionally in the darkness on the wet base of the tree. On the side facing the river, Lodric finds a massive rent in the base of the tree. The inside is pitch blackness, and unbidden images of wild animals lurking on the interior leap into Lodric's mind. If only he had a light source.

Herger and Kaela once again look over the broken branches and logs near the old oak. If not coincidence, the logs that are hollow have also had branches seemingly stripped, leaving adequate handholds along their entire lengths.

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
Lodric takes his dagger, carves some thin shavings of wood from the tree and places them at the base of the opening. He takes his flint and steel and tries to get the shaving to catch, blocking any flame from sight with his body. He then takes one of his precious candles, lights the wick, and peers inside the rent.

Krug

Newshound
"We chanced upon them. We seek allies, and no one... sent us, unless you count the foul blades of the Shadow," says Starhl, gripping the hilt of his sword. "And who are you? WHO sent you?"

Hrothgar

First Post
With a few strikes, Lodric's nostrils pick up the pungent smell of smoke. Blowing on the tinders, a soft, orange fire springs up momentarily, long enough to light a candle. Blocking any emanating light by stooping in the rent, Lodric raises the candle to peer around the inside of the old oak. The interior is massive, large enough to hold even Herger if he could squeeze his massive frame through the opening. Animal droppings, most likely fox, line the edges. The interior is dry, a nice change from the continual slow, cold rain outside.

Swinging the candle to his left, Lodric sucks in air between his teeth, his heart racing rapidly. An intact skeleton lies on the ground, its back propped up against the worm-eaten wall. The left arm lies across its lap, the fingers twisted into some macabre sign. The right arm has been extended, its boney claws grasping the uneven, brittle wall and its index finger pointing south. In the flickering light, shadows wave in the deep recesses of the skeleton's skull, the story it could tell lost in antiquity.

The Erenlander leans back with his arms across his chest and smiles at Starhl. If you wish. My name is Geoffrey Took of Baden's Bluff. I'm here to funnel slaves across the Pelluria to the resistance or to safety in the south. His smile widens, revealing strong, white teeth. There. With that bit of information these River-Folk are much more apt to kill you than deliver you. The smile quickly disappears and his voice begins to take on an edge. Show me similar courtesy, Northman, if you can. Who sent you and what is your business with the Blue Sky Traders?

Bobitron

Explorer
Kaela finishes her embrace with Aislinn just as Falax rushes up. Ignoring his arrival, she touches Herger softly on the arm in thanks and turns back to Lodric. Seeing him peering into the tree with a candle, she steps up to him and speaks.

"Lodric, the candle should be preserved." She reaches into her pocket to pull out the small, mysterious stone. "I can light the way." She peers inside, gasping at the sight of the body. "Herger, there is room in here even for you! But wait here for a moment with Aislinn while we make certain it is safe." Nodding to Lodric, she steps inside the trunk.

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
Lodric snuffs out the candle and follows Kaela into the trunk, warily looking about.

ooc: is south, the direction the skeletons' finger is pointing, downstream? The Blue Sky Traders is upstream, right?

I'm so disoriented...

Krug

Newshound
"My name you have in return. I am Starhl. No one sent us. We are on the road after our village was destroyed, as many others have been. The Blue Sky Traders we seek as we seek others who we can join to fight the Shadow, rather than lying in wait for death," he says. Starhl's hands press on his wound, realising how badly hurt he is. "So you deliver slaves to safety, or do they become freemen after?" Starhl eyes Geoffrey suspiciously.

maddmic

Explorer
Bobitron said:
Kaela finishes her embrace with Aislinn just as Falax rushes up. Ignoring his arrival, she touches Herger softly on the arm in thanks and turns back to Lodric. Seeing him peering into the tree with a candle, she steps up to him and speaks.

"Lodric, the candle should be preserved." She reaches into her pocket to pull out the small, mysterious stone. "I can light the way." She peers inside, gasping at the sight of the body. "Herger, there is room in here even for you! But wait here for a moment with Aislinn while we make certain it is safe." Nodding to Lodric, she steps inside the trunk.

Herger nods and places his hand gently on the girls shoulder. "We shall wait here until you let us know it's safe." He casts a glance over his shoulder at Fallax as he gasps for air.

Valurel watches the exchange between Starhl and the Stranger warily. The man didn't seem overly threatening and Starhl didn't seem agitated so he assumed all was okay. He wished he could understand what they were talking about but had never picked up the northmen tongue.

Remove ads