D&D 3E/3.5 Tomb of Horrors for 3.5

FEADIN

Explorer
I own the older and I read the new, ok for a 9 level group, higher you'll have to make adjustments to the demons in the ethereal, there is more power at lower levels in the 3.x edition.

I'm thinking of running this as a one-shot with my group. They would roll up completely new characters (probably several each :] ) and I would then run it no holds barred. This way they can experience the true deadlyness (I think I just made that word up) without having to worry about my campaign being ruined. It would make for a nice change of pace too.

Olaf the Stout

the Jester

Legend
Haven't touched it. That is because Return to the Tomb of Horrors was the adventure in which my current epic game became epic. :) They were nigh-epic at the beginning of it, and mostly epic by the end. And they beat it.

My 'baseline' for the conversion was the winterwight at CR 23 (in the Epic Level Handbook).

And just to clarify, I started this game at 1st level. Several of the pcs go back to 2nd edition. :)

That's right, I ran Return to the Tomb of Horrors (which includes the original ToH as only one piece of a more deadly whole) in my regular campaign.

Garnfellow

Explorer
Played it as a one shot a couple of months ago and had a blast. It ended in a TPK -- the revision is just as deadly as the 1e incarnation. That freaking mutant gargoyle is crazy deadly: I think he alone killed 4 guys from a 9-man expedition.

Garnfellow said:
Played it as a one shot a couple of months ago and had a blast. It ended in a TPK -- the revision is just as deadly as the 1e incarnation. That freaking mutant gargoyle is crazy deadly: I think he alone killed 4 guys from a 9-man expedition.

Good to hear! :D

I might get each player to make 2 characters in an initial party then. That will stop things from slowing down when their first character gets killed.

Olaf the Stout

the Jester said:
Haven't touched it. That is because Return to the Tomb of Horrors was the adventure in which my current epic game became epic. :) They were nigh-epic at the beginning of it, and mostly epic by the end. And they beat it.

My 'baseline' for the conversion was the winterwight at CR 23 (in the Epic Level Handbook).

And just to clarify, I started this game at 1st level. Several of the pcs go back to 2nd edition. :)

That's right, I ran Return to the Tomb of Horrors (which includes the original ToH as only one piece of a more deadly whole) in my regular campaign.

Your regular campaign! That's ballsy. Obviously you had enough faith in your players that they wouldn't all die at the first hurdle.

Olaf the Stout

The Blue Elf

First Post
Olaf the Stout said:
Your regular campaign! That's ballsy. Obviously you had enough faith in your players that they wouldn't all die at the first hurdle.

Olaf the Stout

Well my DM try a conversion of that It didn't turn out as good as it planned We left that place as quckly as possible.

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
Playing it now as part of regular campaign.

Players doing very well. Almost died at entrance, when I had a demonic group repairing and resetting after previous adventurers ;)

From there on in they have covered the 3.5 conversion quite well. (Mind you there are 9 characters from 8th to 11th level).

Blood motes almost did in one PC and the fight with 'Acererak the lich' had them in real trouble, with one PC about to be disintegrated, if it wasn't for the quick thinkin and lucky spells of the wizard. Having an 8th level cleric join the group just prior to the adventure was a huge help too.

C

Remove ads