Small House Rule to Combat Expertise

Stalker0

Legend
Combat Expertise has its innate +5 cap because in general when you want to bump your AC, you don't care about your attack too much and so are willing to throw in as much as you can. Now, this feat makes the intelligent fighter sterotype work...but it only rewards a 13 int, no higher. So here's a small change to make those very smart fighters get a little more bang for their buck.

Combat Expertise
Prereq: Int 13

You can subtract a number from your attack rolls and add it to your AC. The number can be no greater than 4 + int mod or your BAB, whichever is lower.

Last edited:

XeviatTranion

First Post
Is BAB still a cap as well? I dislike the fact that the momment your BAB hits 5, you'll never again want to use the Total Defense action. I also don't like the fact that Combat Expertise and Fighting Defensively are two different actions: I think they should be treated as the same (or combat expertise should be treated as an advanced fighting defensively option). I also think that one should be able to gain double their maximum Combat Expertise bonus to their AC if they expend a standard action, but they cannot take any attacks (not even attacks of opportunity or any other form of attack).

If a defense monkey wants to defend themselves, let them. Oh, and by the way, I think Combat Expertise should be a Shield bonus; you're blocking attacks with your weapon, and just like a shield it can still get hit by a ray.

PS: A player of mine recently learned to sunder or disarm an opponent's weapon if they use combat expertise too much. Was brilliant ... made me proud.

Stalker0

Legend
The point of this is to make the basic combat expertise a more attractive option for characters with an even higher int than 13. Improved Combat Expertise would work as it normally does, but again it costs another feat.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases