What do you use for a character sheet?

What do you use for a character sheet?

• Photocopies/printouts of the sheet in the PHB.

Votes: 41 15.1%
  • One of the alternate character sheets WotC has one their site.

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • The sheets from one of the Deluxe Character sheet packs (or copies of them).

Votes: 26 9.6%
  • A character sheet I downloaded from the internet.

Votes: 113 41.7%
  • A character sheet I designed and printed out.

Votes: 76 28.0%
  • The output of a character generator program (etools, PCGen, etc).

Votes: 54 19.9%
  • A normal sheet of paper.

Votes: 52 19.2%
  • Other (please describe).

Votes: 24 8.9%

Glyfair

Explorer
I've read a few things lately about character sheets and what people use. I'm curious what the overall tendancies are for characters in D&D/d20. What do you tend to use as a character sheet?

RithTheAwakener

First Post
I make my own. I really hate the layouts on every character sheet ive ever seen, so I write out my own with all the essentials on a single front page, and it works out perfectly. it looks something like....

str----#--+/-#---------name-------------------------fort save
int----#---------------level / class------------------ref save
wis----#--------------exp---------------------------will save
con----#--------------gold
dex----#--------------ac-----------------B.A.B.
cha----#--------------hp----#/# ----------Initiative +

skills$---------------------------------------------feats / abilities@
$--------------------------------------------------@
$ --------------------------------------------------@
$ --------------------------------------------------@

equipment (wearing)!----------------------------misc equipment %
!----------------------------------------------- %-----------%
!----------------------------------------------- %-----------%

It's a pretty basic design, and it works flawlessly. If im a caster, spells per day on the front side, spell list on the back. Sorry if I answered the question a little too indepth.

Last edited:

mhacdebhandia

Explorer
I make my own sheets using tables in Word. I have a fairly standard layout which can be modified for spellcasters and other complicated characters (like the meldshapers from Magic of Incarnum), but at the base it reads:

• Name, race, class, alignment
  • Ability scores
  • Saves, base attack bonus, initiative modifier, hit points
  • Armour class
  • Feats
  • Skills
  • Spells per day, spells known (and the like, if applicable)
  • Special abilities, special qualities
  • Attack "profiles" with at least one and typicall two commonly-used weapons, usually melee and ranged
  • Equipment (if there's room left on the first page)
With spellcasters especially I tend to keep this sheet together with their spells known copy-pasted from the System Reference Document - if possible. I tend to play sorcerers when I play spellcasters so this works out even at high levels, because it's nice to have all of the spells you have access to right there rather than flip through several books each session to refresh your memory of how they work. This was invaluable in Hong's Britannia campaign, since several of my spells were from Oriental Adventures or Complete Arcane.

Equipment also goes on a second page if necessary, and I've been known to keep a summary of the character's backstory in this kind of stack too.

Li Shenron

Legend
I use EMA's character sheets from the internet, because they have lists of all spells in a nice class-by-class format. They are a bit redundant in the feats section, but overall they are the best sheets I've seen so far.

shilsen

Adventurer
I've given up using a traditional character sheet for the last couple of years. I just utilize a detailed stat block.

BullMarkOne

First Post
Normally I use marbled composition notebooks, with post-it notes for tracking hp's. Character goes on the first couple of pages, with campaign notes (written in character if I feel up to it) following, until the char dies, or the notebook gets full (still havent managed to fill a notebook with one character :( )

If a character dies before the notebook gets full, I start a new character on the next page.

The last character I played I deviated a bit, and used a 3-ring binder. An internet downloaded char sheet went right in the front. It was followed by a few pages of looseleaf paper for taking notes. Behind the notepaper, was the characters spellbook, cut and paseted from the SRD. Finally, since I was using alot of material from a number of different pdfs I also printed out any relevant info and stuck it into the back of the binder.

All in all it worked quite nicely, but didnt seem to have the same feel as a good old composition book.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases