Look, Polish Florentine!

Viktyr Gehrig

First Post
Herobizkit said:
What's Polish about wielding two shields?

It relates to the ethnic stereotype of the Polish lacking in common sense. Note that I am pointing out the existence of the stereotype, not endorsing it.

Wielding two shields in combat is not a sensible thing to do.

Dirigible

Explorer
It relates to the ethnic stereotype of the Polish lacking in common sense. Note that I am pointing out the existence of the stereotype, not endorsing it.

As a quarter Pole, sir, I find your even refering to this offensive.

Now if you'll excuse me, there's an adorable burning dog I need to go pat.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
As funny as fighting with two shields is, what's MORE funny is the Blockader.

Back in AD&D2, a bunch of us found the "make your own class" rules in the DMG. We all pumped out horribly unbalanced classes, except for one fellow...

The Blockader's purpose in life was to "stand there" and take hits for the party Mage. He had d12 HP, Fighter armor and THAC0, but the only weapon(s) he could use were spiked shields. His "special ability" was the ability to TWF with both shields like Drow and the ability to Haste himself once a day (to get all kinds of whacks, much like a 3.x Monk's flurry). In a way, he was the precursor to the Dwarven Defender.

But man... did we ever LAUGH for almost an hour as the player proceeded to PLAY the damn thing.

DM: "It's your initiative. What do you do?"
Player: "Is there anyone coming after the mage?"
DM: "No."
Player: "I stand in front of the Mage and defend."

OMG that's right. Another "special ability" was the ability to DOUBLE the AC bonus from BOTH shields if you just did nothing but guard for a round. :p

Thomas Percy

First Post
There was never such style in the history of Poland, I think this is game/movie-only style of fighting.
Most know historical Polish knights were hussars with biiiiiig vertical wings on their backs to scary Saracens' horses.

Samloyal23

Adventurer
Hehe, I created a series of three and four-handed weapons for a Xill warrior. They were things like axes with a pair of attached flails and a bow that fired multiple arrows at once...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases