Norum da Salaex: The Blade of Phoee

Funeris

First Post
So, here's the thread for our In-Character role-playing (seeing as how the use of EnWorld was preferred to the use of the Group Boards).

Characters/Enworld Handles
(in no particular order)

DM -- Funeris
Cassock of Cael -- TheYeti1775
Rhynos 'The Grimhand' -- hobbit_killer
Anastrianna Rowen -- happycat2000
Soter Tene -- Wasteland Knight
Gregor A. Romura -- dorgin_malgard

RULES

For the most part, I will handle any dice-rolling that needs to be done. In the event that I call for a roll, we'll be using this DICE ROLLER. Make sure you enter your own email address, as well as mine (use ronjr@psaltd.com).

Aside from that, I expect everyone to reply at least twice a day, even if it is just: No comment. If you're responding specifically to someone or something, use the Quote function to quote what precisely you're responding to.

You can use bold text for emphasis...try to use italics for Out-of-character comments. And let's try to stay away from different colors--to prevent any problems with viewing.

If anyone needs help with anything (using italics, bold, quotes)--you know how to get a hold of me.

So, let the craziness begin.

~Fune

Funeris

First Post
So...let's begin

DAY 7 within THE BURROWS

attachment.php

Ana sighs over her breakfast. Finally, the Caeliban had shown some humanity—they had popped in apparently over night to leave some fresh game for a meal. It’s uncooked and she struggled for an hour to light a fire from the garbage strewn across the upper level—all to half-cook a bird she really didn’t want to eat anyway.

She sighs again and pushes the “meal” aside. Day seven without light. Day seven without bright sun or fresh air. Day seven in this place that saps the happiness from your soul the way Rhynos used to drink the life from a mortal’s body.

Would anything ever be the same again?

Cassock had stormed in minutes before but ignored her completely. He was lost in his own thoughts now. The priest of Cael had returned to soon from his meeting; he looked the angrier for it. Now he paced in the corner farthest from Rhynos.

The wailing below had silenced not long after Cassock returned. The dining hall (#20) was drowning in uncomfortable silence.

Rhynos had been pacing all morning and muttering to himself. Every now and then, the warlock reached up to grab a strand of hair as if he were going to slam his face into the cool, stone walls. Soter usually hopped up at that point to whisper something but Rhynos always shook his head, let go of the hair, and resumed pacing.

This must be hell. An unknowing, stagnant hell.

Would anything ever be the same again?

Suddenly, the door to the room bursts open. Rhynos and Cassock stopped their pacing—Cassock’s arm snapped toward the neglected blade at his side. Rhynos’ hands twitched out—flaring with the typical green bolt of energy. Soter’s eyes dart upward, but neither he nor Ana move to prepare for an attack.

A middle-aged man—a human not one of the Caeliban—with shoulder length, black-but-graying hair walks briskly in. His eyes are cold and exacting, examining every minute detail of the room layout and its inhabitants. His face is likewise a mask devoid of any emotion. He flattens his ruffled robes—which look unkempt despite the silver threading that accents the black and violet designs. He almost looks like Royalty.

He shifts a satchel on his shoulder, one arm delving into its interior and takes a few steps into the room…

Attachments

• Burrows - 1st floor.jpg
    Burrows - 1st floor.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 218
Last edited:

TheYeti1775

Adventurer
Cassock

The hand remaining at the hilt studying the newcomer, his eyes probing as he asked, "And you are?" Slowly moving towards Ana to move her back incase of trouble.

hobbit_killer

First Post
Rhynos

"Obviously human and obviously one who practices the arcane arts."

"But for once I agree with you priest. An introduction from our guest and the reason he has so graced us would be polite."

Rhynos' scowl melts into a feral smirk as he continues, "And my good sir, if we had known you were coming we would have baked a cake, but alas you'll have to settle for cold steel and eldritch energy...unless you have something useful to tell us...of course."

Funeris

First Post
Well, I'm going to fill in for Wasteland Knight for a moment...I'm not sure his internet access is full time yet...

Soter steps half-behind Rhynos--an incantation springing eagerly to mind. "If he tries anything," the sorcerer whispers into Rhynos' ear, "he's mine."

dorgin_malgard

First Post
TheYeti1775 said:
Cassock

The hand remaining at the hilt studying the newcomer, his eyes probing as he asked, "And you are?" Slowly moving towards Ana to move her back incase of trouble.

"Not here for you, kind sir" he responds coldly.

hobbit_killer said:
"Obviously human and obviously one who practices the arcane arts."

"You are quite corr... my Liege, forgive me..." he quickly drops to one knee, head bowed in reverence. "I did not expect to find you so soon."

happycat2000

First Post
Anastrianna

Ana watches as the stranger comes into the room. She notices that both Cassock and Rhynos are on edge at the sight of the newcomer. She is tense at this intrusion upon her inner thoughts. She wonders who this person is and why he is here. She stands up from her chair at the table and start towards the stranger with her weapon at her side.

Wasteland Knight

Adventurer
Funeris said:
Well, I'm going to fill in for Wasteland Knight for a moment...I'm not sure his internet access is full time yet...

Soter steps half-behind Rhynos--an incantation springing eagerly to mind. "If he tries anything," the sorcerer whispers into Rhynos' ear, "he's mine."

You know, that's exactly what I had decided to have Soter do. So no further comment from me at this point...

Funeris

First Post
RP over Yahoo Messenger

Hobbit_Killer, Dorgin_Malgard, and myself were all on Instant Messenger tonight--actually last night by the time I write this. So, we did a little continuation of the roleplay...below are the posted results of the 'mini-session'. A lot of it actually involved their relationship...but then we took it a little farther than I expected.

As a warning to the two that conspired with me during this...my computer crashed tonight and I lost the saved conversation. So...I had to go purely from memory. If there's something I didn't touch upon and you think I should--let me know. But I think I hit everything...and switched some of the speech around to give a little more balance.

so...without further delay....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The strange middle-age man knelt with his head bowed in deference.

Cassock smirked and stepped closer; Ana followed suit—her bow prepared but pointed easily toward the floor.

“My lord…I did not know my task would be so quick and easy.”

“What are you doing here?” Rhynos demanded, his fingers still rippling with the eldritch energy.

“My Liege,” the man dared a glance upward, “you asked me to deliver this to you here.” He removed his hand from the satchel, clutched in his grasp were two sealed letters. Ana lowered the bow that had leapt upward at the sudden movement, scowling. One writ was sealed with a black glob of wax—he handed it to Rhynos. The other was closed with a red glob—this he prepared to open.

Rhynos frowned; the arcane energies dissipated. Cautiously, the warlock opened the letter. Soter leaned in—glancing toward the paper but Rhynos stretched upward, nearly snarling at the sorcerer. Leuo’s sorcerer shrugged and turned his mind to these strange events.

“Warlock! What is it?!” bellowed the priest. “What is in the letter—and who is this man?!”

The Grim Hand’s eyes darted back and forth—devouring the writ. As he reached the end of the parchment, Ana’s bow leapt in defense—Cassock’s blade danced from its scabbard—and Soter’s arms began the practiced motion of controlling the forces of the arcane weave. The writ burst into flames.

Rhynos smirked, “STOP, all of you.” The middle-aged man looked up as his own piece of parchment was consumed by fire and turned—almost immediately—to ash.

“What is going on here?”

“Cassock, Priest of Cael, you feel your destiny lies not here but back in our homeland, yes?” The sickly sweet words slithered from Rhynos’ mouth.

“Yes.”

“This, priest,” he said—not completely insultingly, “is Gregor Alexander Romura—a trusted associate.”

“You know him?”

“In a manner of speaking—yes I do. But I have another question for you, priest.”

“What would that be?” Cassock slid the sword back into its scabbard—a suspicious look creeping into his unshaven face.

The warlock’s mouth opened and his finger shot into the air, “One moment.” He turned first to Soter and then Gregor. “You are determined to travel with me?”

“Yes, my Liege,” the wizard answered obediently. “It is my destiny.”

“You know the path of your destiny do you?”

“Yes—unless it has changed since last you spoke with me.”

“Then you know that this is a one way trip for you.”

“Wha—”

“If you return with us, there is no coming back for you—unless you don’t age.”

“Y-yes my Liege,” Gregor stuttered.

“Very well.” The warlock spun to the sorcerer, “And you, Soter? Do you wish to accompany us? There will be no return for you either.”

“Where are we going?”

“Not where. When. We are returning to our home—and for you to travel with us would be a death sentence.”

“Backward? Will it help Leuo?”

The warlock frowned. “It may. There were no Caeliban in our time. Perhaps, you can prevent your village’s suffering.”

“Help or not, you won’t want to be here after we leave,” Gregor added coldly.

“Then I will go.”

“I need your unwavering loyalty,” Rhynos demanded from both.

“Yes, my Liege.”

“Of course,” answered the sorcerer confoundedly.

“Cassock,” Rhynos directed the words toward the priest, “then I offer my services to you.”

“Services?”

“You may have leadership of this—”the warlock smiled sardonically—“merry band. I pledge myself to you—as an advisor.”

“And what exactly do I get out of this? I fail to see the difference.” He leveled a stern gaze at the warlock but Rhynos just shrugged it off.

“I know how to return home, priest.” Cassock’s jaw opened wide with shock.

“Yes, but, Liege—we’ll have to go soon,” Gregor hissed. “Unexpected guests will be arriving momentarily—and we shouldn’t get caught in the crossfire.”

“Who?” At Gregor’s widening eyes, the warlock demanded, “Humor me—enlighten me.”

“The Kaeruniban, Lord. Don’t you remember? It was scarcely more than an hour ago that you spoke to me…” the words trailed off into a few stuttering moments of ambiguity. “The Sons of Kaeruna? The Sons of Law? The Allies of Aedil?” Gregor’s face dropped in shock. “The Machines with Soul? Do you not remember? General Mechae will be arriving with a contingent of soldiers momentarily—there is a blood feud between he and Lok—do you not remember that either?

“Yes…yes…” Turning to the others, he posited, “Is there any way we can use that chamber (#18)?”

Cassock’s smirk returned in full. “NO

“Why not?”

“It is laden with energy,” Soter added hopefully.

“Because,” the priest answered, “that chamber is of the foulest of magicks. It will not help us.”

“What do you mean? Explain.”

“Perhaps I should be the advisor,” Cassock smugly muttered. Rhynos bit his tongue. “Don’t you recognize the room? The runes? The layout? What about the very substance it has been crafted from?”

“Yes. It looks like that tower near Llewyllyn Manor. What of it?”

“It is a birthing room. You remember the woman in the bottom of the tower—the one that had been pregnant—split open and a child had climbed out…”

WHAT OF IT?

“The child was—within ten paces—completely grown…”

YES?!?!

“I saw the same event in that chamber this morning…or at least the beginnings of the event before Lok had me thrown out to deal with an intruder.” Cassock smirked toward the wizard.

“I can vouch for the end,” interjected Gregor, ignoring the disrespectful glance. “The woman this morning was split in twain during the birth. Within seconds the child was full grown and speaking. Then, like Lok, he vanished.”

“It’s beginning to make sense now. Those papers—from the towers…”

“—talked of an experiment,” Ana interjected.

“Do you think it was the first Caeliban?” Rhynos asked of no one in particular.

“I don’t know if it was the first,” Cassock answered. “But it would have had to have been one of the elder ones…” His mind immediately jumped toward Master Lok.

“There may be hope, yet, for your village, Soter,” Rhynos murmured.

“We need to go,” Gregor reminded.

“Yes—but what can we use?” the warlock demanded.

“There was a portal—” the wizard suggested.

“Incomplete though,” clarified Soter.

“True—”

“What would it take to get it up and running?” Rhynos questioned.

“Weeks of work,” stated the sorcerer.

“And casters beyond my experience,” added the wizard resentfully.

It’s good to see you feel something, at least, murmured Cassock.

“Is there time?” Rhynos arched his eyebrow in thought.

Gregor nearly laughed. “NO. There is no time. We need to follow the river Leuo—past the village and to a lake. There is a cave—”

“We know all about the Cardinis Chamber, Gregor,” admonished the warlock.

“Of course. Well—inside there is a key—”

“You mean this?” Rhynos pulled the metal disk from his pocket—engraved upon its surface, the planar cosmology shone dully with an inner light.

“Ah…yes, my Liege. That is the key.” Gregor bowed deferentially again. Cassock rolled his eyes.

“We should go,” Cassock decided. “No time to lose.”

“Don’t want to get caught in the crossfire,” added the wizard quietly.

The party quickly gathered their gear and turned to exit the room. From somewhere above, a large crash rang—rumbled rather like thunder—down the vertical shaft and throughout the Burrows.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That last bit [the bold and italic part] was not told the other two players. And thus, they have no prep-time for response...let the roleplaying/play-by-posting resume.

Sincerely, Your Wanna-Be-RBDM, Fune

TheYeti1775

Adventurer
Turning gathering the few scant belongings, Cassock waits for everyone to file out.
Quickly he carves into the wood of the table the runes of Cael, Myr, and Phoee intertwined. Smiling at his work, he carves the celistal rune of 'return' around them.
Under his breath whispering the prayer, "I heard you father, and I have found my purpose. I am your humble servant, and shall set right to these wrongs."
Dark energy whirls around Cassock as he intones his blessing (OOC: Bless Spell) into the carved runes, flickering along each line of the runes the energy seems asborbed by the by it.

Exiting the room quickly Cassock joins with the group, at Ana's questioning look he just returned an unnerving smile. Where had she seen the look before, that gleam. Then it hit her, she had last saw that look at the bridge and he was covered in the blood of his enemies.

"How many can return with us?" Looking to Rhynos and the two other men.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases