proposed idea for stat generation. Is this too big a can of worms?

Imperialus

Explorer
I was thinking of trying somthing radically different with regards to stat generation in my next game. Basically I'll remove all the stops. Players can use any generation method they want, 4d6 drop the lowest, 32 point buy, heck they can pick the numbers (up to a maximum of 18 before racial mods) they want and write them on their character sheet. I keep my DM fiat however as well as the unique spell known as "rocks fall" which may spontaniously eradicate anyone that has abused the system. Overall my group is reasonably mature and I expect that they would come up with reasonable characters but I wanted to hunt for other oppinions too. I'm sure that other people have taken approches like this before so I'd like to hear what other peoples experiances are.

smootrk

First Post
I think I would be able to produce a viable character (and I mean realistic for a particular character idea) for your campaign, but my experience has shown that very, very, few folks would be able to restrain themselves from abusing that situation.

Good Luck.

Cabral

First Post
I tried a tell-me-about-your-character-and-I'll-make-it-for-you approach but only one person filled out the questionaire :)

Sravoff

First Post
I am going to be runnign either of two systems for my next campaign, player choice.

Either ther "We're-All-Adults-Here" method, or the grid version here.

http://invisiblecastle.com/statgen.py?a=grid
The grid version.

Any character who abuse the adult method can esily be taken care of via the "Offend-The-Local-Lord-By-Way-Of-His-Daughter" technique. :p

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
I don't like the idea at all. You're forcing the players to guess at what you will allow. Any system that requires the players to read your mind is a bad system.

Say Joe decides to push his luck with the new system, writes down all 16s or some such, and convinces you to allow it. Bob on the other hand plays it safer, uses much lower numbers than Joe did, and has to make tradeoffs in stat placement. Bob ends up with a much weaker character, through no fault of his own, because he had no way of knowing where the line was. That's blatantly unfair, and contributes to jealousy and other not-fun situations at the game table.

If you do decide that someone has pushed too far, and apply the "rocks fall" fiat, then what? Do you destroy the PC and force the player to pick a new race, class, and concept? Does the replacement come in with penalties? Or is the player perhaps disqualified from entering the campaign at all?

Of course you let him recreate the same PC, with the stats reduced to a reasonable level. But if you define "reasonable" based on what feels fair to you in that particular situation, it'll all depend on your subjective judgement, which seldom works out fairly in practice. The guy who spilled Mountain Dew in your lap last week will tend to get shafted.

If total spontaneity were a good idea, we'd have rules for it. :)

Sravoff

First Post
That is a very good point. Just as in life, you must take the good with the bad. o if they want all 18's, they may ahve them.

thanks Auraseer, you may have saved my campaign. :heh:

-Sravoff

General Barron

First Post
I agree that this is a terrible idea. A point-buy method is the only way to ensure that all players feel fairly treated. I personally don't like rolling for stats or HP either, since the one roll sticks with the player for the whole game (unlike any other roll).

Currently you are telling them to pick a number of points, and assign them as they please. Instead, you decide on the number of points, but they still get to assign them as they please.

Cabral

First Post
I don't think it's a bad idea, but rather than offing the offenders, why not suggest that they are too strong (or too weak) at character generation?

Nyaricus

First Post
just thought I'd chime in with some of my favourites - the recent thread it was on discussed all sorts of stat rolling methods.

Alternative Stat Rolling Methods
my favourites
http://www.enworld.org/showpost.php...23&postcount=53

Other than that - I say choose one type of stat generation and stick with it - perhaps even hold a vote amougst the players and let them decide (you choosing the cataergories, of course).

That is what i am doing for my next campign - first we will vote on either Standard or Organic Methods. Then for specific stats, either 3d10, drop the lowest 1, or 4d6 drop the lowest 1.

Majority will rule, and it might not be what everyone wants, but that group is fairly mature - i doubt there will be problems.

Bayonet_Chris

First Post
Picking stats

The GM for the current game I'm playing in (AU/AE) allowed us to generate stats in any way we liked. I don't think it was abused - everyone seems to be pretty fair. Just my experience with it. No one made someone with all 18s or anything.
-C

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases