Suggestions for vanilla campaign setting?

Droopy

First Post
I am looking for suggestions on a campaign setting for new players that has the following characteristics:

1. Vanilla: I would like the setting to introduce as few new classes, races, spells, and monsters as possible. I think that getting the new players acclimated to 3.5 and the PHB may be tough enough without having to "unlearn" the core classes and races of standard 3.5

2. Good Maps: IMO excellent maps are a strong draw to new players.

3. Excellent -- but not too heavy -- history and backdrop: A simple and logical setting is best for newer players.

Feel free to add other characteristics you think would be useful to serve as ways to evaluate settings best for newer players.

Thanks for your help!

Eternalknight

First Post
Greyhawk? It's the default setting in the Player's Handbook, and you can grab the D&D Gazeteer or the Living Greyhawk Gazeteer pretty cheap; both come with maps.

Lonely Tylenol

First Post
If you're willing to wait a bit, and pay a bit, Ptolus promises all the things you're looking for. Otherwise, Greyhawk and the Forgotten Realms are pretty good. Greyhawk is harder to find material for these days, but both of them have recently seen big poster maps bundled with Dragon magazine, although they may now be hard to come by. Myself, I prefer FR. More interesting material there, I find. But that might just be because there's more material, period.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
I'd go with Kingdoms of Kalamar or Erde. Both are your 'bog-standard' fantasy setting with only a tiny amount in the way of setting-specific rule additions or changes (by tiny, I mean 'three pages tops'), both have eye-catching maps, and both have detailed (though not ultra-heavy) histories.

Of the two I'd lean towards Kalamar just because it seems to have a more believable economic system and societial structure, but depending upon the tastes of your players, these things may not be of importance. Also, if published adventure support is important, I think that Erde is a bit stronger in that department. Finally, Kalamar has an entire book of full-color maps available for it as a supplement (The Kingdoms of Kalamar Atlas).

Last edited:

Aus_Snow

First Post
Well, from what I've heard at least, Kingdoms of Kalamar might be your best bet, I think.

On the other hand, I know for sure that Forgotten Realms 3rd ed. is both nicely presented and very well-supported. I couldn't honestly say whether either or both of those things apply to Kingdoms of Kalamar. Anyone?

edit --- FR is not amazing for maps, though (the Campaign Setting book, anyway).

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Aus_Snow said:
On the other hand, I know for sure that Forgotten Realms 3rd ed. is both nicely presented and very well-supported. I couldn't honestly say whether either or both of those things apply to Kingdoms of Kalamar. Anyone?

Kalamar lacks a lot of support in terms of supplements, but that's because it doesn't really need them - the main book is incredibly detailed and well-written. In terms of presentation and detail, it really blew the FR main book out of the water, IMHO (in fact, IIRC, it also sold out its first rather largish print run in near record time).

Aus_Snow

First Post
Apparently, Kingdoms of Kalamar can also be got for about $10 (USD) online, at places like Noble Knight.

All in all, strikes me as being quite possibly a tempting proposition, given your criteria.

And yes Eternalknight, you're right there. I agree.

Ceresco

First Post
Hey Droop!

I think the recommendation of Kingdoms of Kalamar is pretty decent. It's well developed AND is an RPGA campaign that has many adventures already available for download for free. I don't know anything about the quality of advenutres, personally, but I have heard good things about it.

Of course we've discussed The Kyngdoms. Perhaps you can get some first hand accounts of that setting from some one who's played in it.

There is also Murchad's Legacy. http://www.parentsbasementgames.com/
It's written by a board member Biggus Geekus. He always has well thought out, or at least entertaining, comments on this board. He may even see this post and comment on the setting himself.

Talk at ya later,

ed-

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases