Excalibur

Doom3524

First Post
Anyone know if there is maybe a Legacy Weapon makeup for excalibur? Or if not, anyone have any suggestions as to how to make it?

Crothian

First Post
It's probably stated out in one of the two books I've seen that cover the Round Table, but since Weapons of Legacy is not open game mechancis only Wizards can stat it out that way in a book.

Shadowbane2

First Post
Ancient texts seem to state that it was a greatword that was as light and easy to use as a long sword. Throw in a +3 magic bonus along with the holy quality, and you've got yourself Excalibur!

Or mabye even let it make one smite attack each turn. Now THAT would be a legendary sword for sure!

Legildur

First Post
I thought that in 1e (or was that 2e?) that Excalibur was a (+3?) sword of sharpness?

In 3.5e that could mean the keen and/or vorpal property.

And likely axiomatic (rather than holy, IMO) as well.

But I don't know enough about Legendary weapons to say any further than that.

Talic

First Post
Do you want it to be a normal magic item or do you want it in the realm of artifacts.? By the book, artifacts can stack bonuses over +10 and usually have more unique powers...tho apart from smiting already suggested, I have no ideas for :p

I agree that it should be at least +3 weapon and Lawful. I'd go Longsword or probably Bastard Sword myself. I like the smiting ability, and maybe tack on the Defending ability. Merciful would be an interresting take too. It was supposedly unbreakable, so Adamantine would fit the bill as well.

Acording to myth, the scabbard that accompanied it kept Arthur safe from harm. Another lil detail ya might be able to do somethin with.

Doom3524

First Post
Thanks guys, thats all great info. I am probably going to make it an artifact so people cant try to just buy something similar.

Talic said:
It was supposedly unbreakable, so Adamantine would fit the bill as well.
Why not just make it nearly unbreakable: "This weapon cannot be damaged by any means short of the direct intervention of a greater deity."
Adamantine is tough, but not that tough. And there's probably a slew of special abilities or spells that ignore hardness when attacking objects.

Doom3524

First Post
Those are all great!! I might make it a Legacy Weapon Artifact. Give it new properties as the character levels up. I think that might be the best way to go. That way if someone of a lower level miraculously is able to get it, it isnt godly right away.

Nac_Mac_Feegle

First Post
Excalibur was virtually unbreakable, but it was broken, and no smith in the world could repair it, it had to be thrown into the lake for the lady to reforge it.

If I remember my mythology correctly

Feegle Out :cool:

Doom3524

First Post
That brings me to another question. What kind of class would you consider the Lady of the Lake? I am preparing for a new campaign that I am starting in January based all aroung Arthurian legend. The idea is for the people in the campaign to become Knights of the Round table and take on the enemies of legend (Morrigan, Mordred, Black Knight, Cerdic & Cynric). I am using the legend of old with a bit of the new movie aspect thrown in. Any suggestions for more villains would be greatly appreciated.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases