Shackled City Adventure Path Campaign (Thread Closed)

Phyrrus

First Post
General Information[sblock]

Standard week:

Day Activity
Starday work
Sunday work
Moonday work
Godsday worship
Waterday work
Earthday work
Freeday rest

Common Calendar:

Each month is 28 days long, each festival is 7 days long.

Month/festival Season
-Needfest midwinter
Fireseek winter
Readying spring
Coldeven spring
-Growfest
Planting low summer
Flocktime low summer
Wealsun low summer
-Richfest midsummer
Reaping high summer
Goodmonth high summer
Harvester high summer
- Brewfest
Patchwall autumn
Ready’reat autumn
Sunsebb winter

A year is 364 days long.

Two moons:
• Luna, large, pale, cycles in 28 days
• Celene, small, aquamarine, cycles in 91 days[/sblock]

Cauldron[sblock]

Built inside the mouth of a dormant volcano, the town Cauldron is aptly named. The town's buildings, tightly packed and built from volcanic rock and wood, line the inner bowl of the volcano. Cobblestone roads form concentric circlesaround a small lake of cold water, which fills the volcano's basin. Although the town's sewage seeps into the lake, local clerics routinely purify the water for the citizens of the city in exchange for a sizable charitable donation to each of their temples from the Lord Mayor, Orbius Vhalantru.

A 50-foot-tall fortified wall of black malachite encircles the city, tracing the outer rim of the volcano. Four roads descend the outer walls of the volcano, becoming major throughfares that lead to the other towns and distant sites. The districts nearer to the rim of the city tend to be occupied by the upper class families and elite merchants. The closer one gets to the center of town (and the closer to the pungent odors of the central lake), the shoddier the construction and the more dangerous the back alleys.

Most people get around Cauldron on foot, although the town has its share of wagons and carriages, most of the owned by the merchants and nobles.

The hot days of summer have rolled into autumn, and with its passing overcast days which allow brief flashes of sunshine before unleashing a drizzling rain have become the norm. Also the air has begun to have a chill in it as the nights grow longer, and many in the town grumble and speak of the bad omens this chill wind brings.[/sblock]

History[sblock]

Over 600 years ago, the towns of Redgorge and Cauldron were founded by Surabar Spellmason, a great wizard from Sasserine. Numerous profitable mines attracted prospectors and adventurers to the area.

The rim of the extinct volcano acts as a natural defense against the local monsters. This, along with the discovery of underground complexes below the city, favored Cauldron’s growth over the centuries.

Several decades ago, rainy winters resulted in massive flood damage to the lower reaches of Cauldron. As the local churches have successfully dealt with this annual problem, The Flood Festival is founded.

Seven years ago, a plague of filth fever struck Cauldron. Several hundred people die before the plague is brought under control.[/sblock]

Common Knowledge about Cauldron[sblock]

Cauldron’s Concentric Streets
Obsidian Avenue (outer most)
Magma Avenue
Lava Avenue
Ash Avenue (inner most)
Crater Lake - lies at the center of the city[sblock]

Temples in Cauldron[sblock]

Cathedral of Wee Jas
• Obsidian Ave southeast
• impressive tower, one of the most beautiful in Cauldron
• responsible for dealing with unclaimed dead, and maintaining catacombs
• maintained by a large staff of about 25

Church of St. Cuthbert
• Obsidian Ave north
• two-story church with white marble walls with veins of vivid blue
• inscription above doors: “Within law lives hope”
• maintained by a medium sized staff

Shrine of Pelor
• Magma Ave south
• simple yellow tower, 60 feet tall
• maintained by a solitary cleric

Temple of Lordly Might (Kord)
• Obsidian Ave southwest
• simple stone two-story church; lower floor is mostly a large open air arena
• many statues depicting creatures in competition
• sponsor sporting events throughout the year
• maintained by a large sized staff[/sblock]

Meeting Places[sblock]

Coy Nixie: High-class tavern and dancehall.
Cusp of Sunrise:High-society club; membership by invitation only.
Drunken Morkoth Inn:Caters to traveling merchants and adventurers.
Laughing Horse Inn: Lower cost inn catering to adventurers.
Minuta’s Board: Low cost inn and flophouse.
Slippery Eel Tavern: Working class watering hole.
Tipped Tankard Tavern: Best food and drinks for common folk.[/sblock]

Shops[sblock]

Back 0’ Beyond Outfitters: Provides equipment for adventurers and hunters, including trap making supplies and bows.
Garthun Imports: Specializes in alcohol, tobacco, gourmet sweets and seafood.
Gurnezarn’s Smithy: Regarded as the finest smith in town; independent of the Lathenmire family.
Lathenmire Smithies (four locations): Association of blacksmiths, weaponsmiths and armorsmiths; under the control of the Lathenmire family; near monopoly of arms and armor in Cauldron.
Maavu Imports: Specializes in rare and unusual books.
Penryn's Creations: A small magic shop that includes various clockwork mechanisms, animated toys, and magic items of all types.
Skie’s Treasury: Buys and sells magic items.
Sure Foot Livery: The only livery in town.
Tygot’s Old Things: Well-stocked antiquity shop; frequently buys old documents and art objects.
Weer’s Elixirs: Alchemical items and potions.
Westkey’s Map Emporium: Good selection of regional, local, building and treasure maps.
Zanathor’s Provisions: General store with reasonable prices.[/sblock]

Other Points of Interest[sblock]

Bluecrater Academy: One of the tallest buildings in Caulron; where most youth go to learn a trade; upper floors consist of libraries and research offices; maintains registry of tutors, including arcane casters.
Duskhaven Moneylenders: Offers reasonable loans; money changing services for associated guild members, including exchanges for gems; secure banking services.
Jarran’s Playhouse: Local theater company; caters to middle class merchants.
Lakeside Park: Park along Crater Lake; popular fishing point for children; includes pavilion where the Lord Mayor makes occasional announcements.
Tinkers’ Guildhall: Odd looking building made of a patchwork of materials and uneven surfaces; supplies and support for Cauldron’s non-traditional artisans.
Town Guard Barracks: The guard hires mercenaries; offers martial training; houses an underground prison.
Town Hall: Land, property and historical archives are kept here; maintains registry of legal advocates; money changing services for Cauldron citizens, including bars of precious metal for large denominations.[/sblock]

Local Currency[sblock]

Uniform Coin Elements

All coins printed in Cauldron have a small 'hole' cut in their centers. Initially this was done for to very practical reasons -
1 The first was to reduce the 'cost' of the currency by reducing the metal needed even if the saving was not substantial.
2 The second reason was to thread the coins together on a thick string to carry around a person's waist.

Today the practice is still retained for traditional reasons and to symbolize Cauldrons volcanic foundations within the dormant volcanoes mouth.

Copper 'Common'

When debate about the currency of Cauldron was first being debated amongst the new nobles, dignities and businessmen of the new town, the copper coin was almost not included in the currency. The nobles of the town argued that the copper coin found in most countries of the world were unsightly and rarely used except by the commoners. Eventually the merchants and businessmen convinced the nobles to print the coin so that the 'commoners' would have a coin to use.

This is where the term 'Copper Common' comes from. A coin for the commoners.

Silver 'Steadier'

The criminals of Cauldron are executed in front of the town hall for the most heinous of crimes. Before the headsman swings his axe to behead the wrong doer must pay the headsman his wage - a silver piece - ensuring a quick death. Criminals who choose not to pay the headsman can expect a haphazard job sometimes taking numerous blows before the unfortunate criminal is finally beheaded and feels no more.

Paying a silver to 'steady' the headsman’s axe is considered money well spent and is where the term ‘Steadier’ comes from.

Gold 'Tumbler'

Cauldron was initially colonized, founded and eventually constructed by Sundabar Spellmason. When the popular mayor of the time died their was great debate as to his successor. To alleviate any conflict the nobles decided to give the post to a distant descendent of Sundabar. The poor fop was both arrogant and stupid and did not realize the truth behind his distant appointment and was thrilled to lead the city to a new golden age. The nobles had agreed to use the fellow as a figurehead and lead the city jointly, at least in theory.

In an attempt to promote his unusual appointment, the nobles decided to spread lavish tales of his royal heritage, importance and grandeur and to hold a grand celebration for his arrival. Rather than endear him to the people, this instead began to alienate him.

For months the citizens of Cauldron were forced to pay increased taxes in preparation of the ‘royal’ visit. Much of the local food and produce began to be stowed away for the Royal celebration and many of Cauldron’s poor began to go hungry. By the time the young fop had made his lengthy journey to the city, the citizens of Cauldron were disgruntled and far from welcoming.

As the fop arrived with much fanfare and paraded through the city he could sense the peoples obvious hostilities. In an attempt to alleviate their anger the fop choose to board a local fishing boat, fill it with food, sail around the inner lake and toss the food to the hungry citizens. What happened next became legendary in Cauldron.

Whether it was the weight of the food or the barrage of vegetables that the citizens hurled back at the astonished sovereign, the boat overturned sending the beleaguered fop tumbling into the dirty water. The roar of laughter as the fellow bobbled in the watery mix of food and flotsam was enormous while the fop dragged himself to the shore thoroughly embarrassed and looking like a drowned cat. He left for home that very night, the celebrations were cancelled and the food distributed back to the markets and onto the citizens table.

To this day the Cauldron gold coin has the depiction of the current mayor on one side. To the citizens of Cauldon the mayor is known as the ‘Fop’ after the poor fellow who ‘tumbled’ into the lake and the coin his face adorns – Gold Tumbler.

Platinum 'Cusp'

The Cusp of Sunrise is a very old, traditional and exclusive club in Cauldron. It was formed very early in Cauldron’s history and has always been a haven for nobles and the wealthy from the toils of modern living. The common citizens of Cauldron are as likely to be allowed membership into this club as they are to own one of Cauldron rare platinum coins and Cauldron’s nobles are the only ones likely to possess a platinum coin in the first place.

It is a fact that Cauldron’s nobility rarely use platinum coins for little other than as ‘chips’ in the game of ‘Gems’ in the club or to pay for drinks, food or services therein.

This is where the term ‘Cusp Coin’ or simple ‘Cusp’ originated.[/sblock]

Towns and Villages[sblock]

Cauldron (small city)
• Population: 7,500 adults
• Authority figures: Lord Mayor Severn Navalant (male human); the Mayor’s office has been held by the Navalant family for 200 years; Severen is well liked by the populace
• Mixed population, with significant halfling and gnome communities, although all races are present
• Town emblem: a watchful eye wreathed in flames

Hollowsky (village)
• Population: 460 adults
• Economy: brewing, plantation farming
• East of Cauldron

Kingfisher Hollow (large town)
• Populaiton: 2,100 adults
• Economy: plantation farming, exotic wood
• Northeast of Cauldron

Redgorge (village)
• Population: 600 adults
• Economy: farming and mining
• South of Cauldron

Sasserine (large city)
• Population: 22,000 adults
• Coastal city on Jeklea Bay
• north of Cauldron, 2-3 days travel

Gradsul (large town)
• northwest of Cauldron, about 7 days travel[/sblock]

Other Sites of Interest[sblock]

Demonskar– Deep in the jungle there is a crater where a great city once stood. It is reported to be infested by demons to this day,

Eagles Hold – A convocation of friendly giant eagles to the south of Cauldron has reportedly been harassed by gargoyles.

Ganitor Mines - These mines run by the Taskerhill family recently dug into an undiscovered cavern; green smoke began billowing out the mine, preventing its operations from continuing.

Eskanburg – A dwarven noble is attempting to settle a new mining village north of Cauldron, and is hiring adventurers to secure the area.

Haunted Village – This is a ruined settlement in the foothills south of Cauldron. It is rumored to be haunted by powerful undead.

Jarl Khurok’s Keep – Years ago, a powerful frost giant, Jarl Khurok, united all of the ogre and giant tribes in the region far southeast of Cauldron. A band of adventurers assassinated him; no one knows what lurks in the abandoned keep.

Lair of Hookface – Somewhere to the far north of Cauldron lays the lair of a great dragon. He hasn’t stirred in about a century, and everyone is happy with leaving the place alone.

Lucky Monkey – This is a roadhouse on the way to Sasserine. It has a chapel to Fharlanghn, which is occasionally visited by a wandering cleric. It lies to the northwest of Cauldron.

Tower of Bagrains – This tower, supposedly founded by an apprentice of Surabar Spellmason, lies off of the road leading to Kingfisher Hallow; it is reported to be protected by an unearthly glow.[/sblock]

OOC Thanks:[sblock]I would like to say thanks to RPGenius site for having this info in various places and will gladly take it down if any take offense to it. I hope it helps to enrich the game for all those taking part in it.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Phyrrus

First Post
Char guidelines:

I will be taking 4-5 chars starting off.

Lvl 1
28pt buy
Races allowed: All core and willing to consider a non-core from the Races "Of" and Eberron with good story.
Classes allowed: All core and willing to consider non-core from Complete "X" with good story. Sorry though, no psionics.

Starting wealth: Max for class
Hit points: Max for 1st, average hps for each level.

All I ask is that the chars be from Cauldron, and I will post more info on the city if some it seems there is any interest in starting this.

Hope to see some ideas if it catches anyone's eye.

Last edited:

Eluvan

First Post
Sure - I'd be happy to give this a try. I never have played the Adventure Path myself, though I know the basic outline from Story Hours and the like.

I fancy playing a half-orc in this game... never played one before, and I like to keep myself on my toes with new challenges. :) A cleric I think, quite heavily melee specced. Maybe with some levels of fighter later on.

hbarsquared

Quantum Chronomancer
Is Eberron stuff okay? I've been itching to play a warforged artificer for some time, now. As long as the background is appropriate to Cauldron, would such a concept be acceptable?

Thanks.

Phyrrus

First Post
Eluvan said:
Sure - I'd be happy to give this a try. I never have played the Adventure Path myself, though I know the basic outline from Story Hours and the like.

I fancy playing a half-orc in this game... never played one before, and I like to keep myself on my toes with new challenges. :) A cleric I think, quite heavily melee specced. Maybe with some levels of fighter later on.

The main churches in the town are to St. Cuthbert, Kord, Wee Jas, and a small shrine to Pelor. However, if you are a travelling priest of a different faith who has come trying to get a foot in with the city, that can be worked in also.

Phyrrus

First Post
jeremy_dnd said:
Is Eberron stuff okay? I've been itching to play a warforged artificer for some time, now. As long as the background is appropriate to Cauldron, would such a concept be acceptable?

Thanks.

While I love the Warforged race, I can't think of anyway that he could be in Greyhawk. If you can find a way to get him in there, I will definately consider it. Otherwise, I'm not sure if I could be fair and do it.

Phyrrus

First Post
I thought about the warforged concept and am willing to let it go. However, most people will see him/her as nothing more than a sentient golem, and it may not always be easy for him to be accepted as a true being. I look forward to seeing the backstory for him, as well as his "birth" in Oerth.

And since I can't allow one Eberron race without allowing the others as well, I will alter creation thread to reflect that.

Legildur

First Post
If I get a spot, I'll happily play a hafling or elven Rogue or Scout (Complete Warrior). A straight up and down trapspringer. Of course, if you were generous enough to allow play of a Whisper Gnome (+0 LA) (from Races of Stone), then that would be an easy choice.

Edit: And I have no idea about the Adventure Path series as the only story hour I have read is Piratecat's Defenders of Daybreak.

And I post pretty regularly. Usually check the boards several times per day.

Last edited:

Eluvan

First Post
St. Cuthbert. Definitely St. Cuthbert. :)

But just so you know, I'm thinking of actually making the character a fighter/rogue. He'll still be very devoutly devoted to St. Cuthbert, but rather than going down the priestly route he'll just be a big mean bruiser. :D

Phyrrus

First Post
Legildur said:
If I get a spot, I'll happily play a hafling or elven Rogue or Scout (Complete Warrior). A straight up and down trapspringer. Of course, if you were generous enough to allow play of a Whisper Gnome (+0 LA) (from Races of Stone), then that would be an easy choice.

Edit: And I have no idea about the Adventure Path series as the only story hour I have read is Piratecat's Defenders of Daybreak.

And I post pretty regularly. Usually check the boards several times per day.

With a good backstory of what would bring a reclusive whisper gnome to live in a big city, I will allow it. I know with all of their bonuses that they become the perfect rogues, so spin a good yarn, and I will allow it, otherwise the halfling/elvish rogue is all yours.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases