anyone playing b5 d20? Opinions on psi system?

QuaziquestGM

First Post
Anyone playing B5 d20 (or the older rpg)? Opinoins? My group's last space game was SWD20 and if they want to do Space as opposed to Western or Fantasy next semester I'd like to have options to give them.

As far as using it for material for other games....

does anyone like it's psi system?

Anythoughts on using the Vorlons or Shadows as BBEG's in a DnD game? I've used the Vorlon's as "Gods" once....A player had to leave town for a month, so I had him abductd by vorlons, ear tagged another party member with a organic crystal that glowed at odd moments, and returned the abducted one later with a level of psion, some glowrods of revealing, and instructions to beware of shadows that he couldn't see......poor pixie....(more of story later). Those vorlons were just handwaved as Magic beyound the pc's understanding. How do the vorlons and shadows stat out mechanically in the book?

JBowtie

First Post
The d20 version captures the feel of the show extremely well. There's a lot of good support material and the season books do a great job of providing RPG hooks for every episode.

Before commenting further, I should point out that there is a second edition scheduled for February. I don't know what they're changing, but Mongoose has said it will not invalidate your first edition supplements.

The Psi system is adequate. Characters with higher P-ratings get fewer skill/hit points. All powers require a Telepathy (skill) check and most have a P-rating as a prerequisite. Personally I feel that Steve Kenson's system in the Psychic's Handbook (or the variation presented in True20) has slightly better mechanics. If you run a telepath game the Psi Corps supplement is invaluable.

The main flaw, which I expect to see addressed in the 2nd edition, is the ship combat rules (appears to be a modified version of the Dragonstar rules). I suspect that Mongoose will be incorporating a few changes based on feedback, the existence of D20 Modern/Future, and their experience with the B5 minis game.

Finally, I don't have the Vorlon/Shadows supplement; IIRC there are some stats given in later season books, at least for their ships. Characters probably shouldn't be trying hand-to-hand with said races unless they're technomages, and even without seeing the Technomage supplement I would still advise against it. I also seem to recall seeing something that said Vorlons should be treated as P15 with regards to psi.

hobgoblin

First Post
and vorlons have telekinetic to, right? i recall the replacement ambassador doing a very vader like move in the series.

hmm, technomages...

KaosDevice

Explorer
The Psi rules are...serviceable. I think they are good for what they are and are pretty fast and playable in the actual game, but are ind of unremarkable. The rest of the game is awesome and is a must have for any babylon 5 fan. (The season supplements are flat out outstanding, some of the best work Mongoose has done IMO) The ship combat rules, as said before, are horrible, but Mongoose admits it and will probably fix it in the future.

I'd give the whole product line 4 out of 5 stars.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases