Who wants to be a Wayfinder? Part 1

SelcSilverhand

First Post
The activity in the common room downstairs is winding down at this late hour. The innkeeper is wiping down the bar when you approach. When presented with Whispers copy of the map, he looks it over carefully. "Hrm, it's been many a year since I was out on the water. I don't recognize these coasts but this little bit here shaped like a U could be the top of Tempest Isle. There's a lot of smaller islands around it that could match your other marks. You'd have to find a captain or sailor that's plied these waters for a living though to get a closer match. Just be careful who you show it to, sailors like to spread stories for the price of a drink."

jkason

First Post
Midian Rightson, human druid

SelcSilverhand said:
The activity in the common room downstairs is winding down at this late hour. The innkeeper is wiping down the bar when you approach. When presented with Whispers copy of the map, he looks it over carefully. "Hrm, it's been many a year since I was out on the water. I don't recognize these coasts but this little bit here shaped like a U could be the top of Tempest Isle. There's a lot of smaller islands around it that could match your other marks. You'd have to find a captain or sailor that's plied these waters for a living though to get a closer match. Just be careful who you show it to, sailors like to spread stories for the price of a drink."

Midian frowns. "Are there no cartographers in town?" he asks. "We were thinking we might peruse existing maps on our own. We have just come from school, so research isn't exactly foreign to us."

SelcSilverhand

First Post
"Oh certainly, there are a few good ones here in town. From the talk I've heard, the "Great Reaches" store would be the place you'd want. The fellow that runs it used to be a scholar. He sometimes hires out one of his pages to travel with ships that are heading out into poorly charted waters. They're good, honest folk that won't steer you wrong. I doubt they're open this late but you could try them in the morning if'n you're not in a rush.."

jkason

First Post

Midian nods and smiles. "My thanks," he says. "Perhaps it is getting late to be wandering around the city."

Mista Collins

First Post
Once the party decides to pursue the map in the morning, Seria looks to Midian and Whisper. "I recommend from here on out we room together. After the other incident, I think it best. Don't you agree?"

jkason

First Post

Mista Collins said:
Once the party decides to pursue the map in the morning, Seria looks to Midian and Whisper. "I recommend from here on out we room together. After the other incident, I think it best. Don't you agree?"

Midian nods. "Indeed. We should set up a watch, as well. If we'd been more cautious, maybe Jaron ... " he trails off, shaking his head at the memory.

Mista Collins

First Post
jkason said:
Midian nods. "Indeed. We should set up a watch, as well. If we'd been more cautious, maybe Jaron ... " he trails off, shaking his head at the memory.

"...I know. He was a good man." Seria says while placing a hand on Midian's shoulder. "I'm going to go to our room and get sleep. I have a feeling we are going to have a lot to do tomorrow. I'll take the morning watch."

Seria goes up to their room, changes into her night clothes and crawls into one of the beds and quietly cries herself to sleep as memories of Jaron and their classes together cloud her mind.

Shayuri

First Post
Whisper is quiet, but nods when the question of rooming together comes up. She remains pensive as she changes into her sleepwear as well, Jaron's fate reminding her that they may be getting into something they weren't equipped to hande. On the other hand, she felt some obligation to reach the end of this, if only so his death wasn't meaningless.

And of course, she loathed leaving mysteries unsolved.

SelcSilverhand

First Post
OOC - Poor Bront missed a great setup line there =P

The night passes uneventfully and despite the crowded conditions you all manage to get some rest. When the morning comes you troop downstairs for a filling breakfast of fresh eggs, fish, and sweetened tea. While you're waiting a messenger arrives wearing a plain robe stitched with the House Deneith seal. He delivers a rolled up scroll and a small pouch that jingles to Johan, bows, and then leaves. The message is from the official Johan had spoken with yesterday. It says that he was able to locate the bounty papers for the man you killed and that after confirming the identity with the city guard, he had been authorized to send you this payment. Inside the pouch are 40 platinum pieces.

ooc - Don't forget you still have a magic dagger, ring, and 5 scrolls from his body.

With your rolled up copy of the map in hand and directions from the innkeeper, you set out for the cartographer's shop. The shop is located near the top of the city perched on a promitory that hangs out from the cliff. The shop sprawls over a large area and looks fairly ramshackle. It looks like parts of it have been added on by different builders with different ideas on what it should have looked like. In the front window is a yellowed newspaper clipping excitedly describing the famous voyage by Lord Boroman ir'Dayne of the Wayfinders Foundation to the frozen reaches of the Frostfell. A small bell rings overhead as you enter the shop. It's walls are covered by maps and drawings so dense that it is like wallpaper. There are desks scatter across the room with neat stacks of roll scrolls. Several young men and women are hard at work making drawings and marks under the direction of an older gnome. She looks up as you enter and says, "Greetings, welcome to the Great Unknown. I am Shiza, how can I help you?"

Shayuri

First Post
(ah yes! Thanks for the reminder. I'll have Whisper pick up some scrolls...the bounty money will pay for a couple of Identifies easily. :))

Whisper, in the shape of a comely human woman, produces her copy of the secret map and carries it to the gnome.

"I have here a portion of a map I was able to copy. Unfortunately the map itself was too large and bulky to move freely. We were hoping you could help us determine where this depicted coastline is, as well as identify any points of interest on the map."

Remove ads