What technology do you use in your campaign?

Ibram

First Post
most of my games take place in the technological equivlent to the 1400-1500 period. Guns are used but are often to expensive for players, cannons are rather common among the richer nations, and plate armor is still in use.

Crothian

First Post
Printing press is there but rarely seen, guns are there but rarely seen....most traditional tech is not there since they have magic.

dvvega

Explorer
In my homebrew world it would depend on the "age" players are in.

However for the general fantasy/D&D time period, powder weapons are the best technology they have (flint lock pistols etc - Renaissance type).

Steam power is limited to small experimental projects at this time.

Of course there is much more advanced technology out there, however it needs to be discovered, wrested from its controllers, and then learnt.

D

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Robots with lazers and future ninjas with lightsabers flying in on spaceships run by alien pirates, crashlanding on islands with dinosaurs and gun-wielding samurai.

W0rd.

painandgreed

First Post
Human civilizations runs medieval while elves and dwarves run renaissance or later. The demi-humans don't have guns but they do have a superior (and well guarded) understanding of mathmatics, physics, metalurgy, and engineering. One tech that is significantly advanced for all races is medicine. The workings of the body and germ theory are fairly well known and a person with decent healing skill being equivilant to a modern EMT but actual medical surgical knowledge and ability is less due to a reliance on magic. A big help has been divination magic which prevents most major scientific misunderstandings. Say a plague hits, instead of kills cats, dogs or whatever, it is a game of twenty questions with the gods till they figure out the cause is a disease carried by fleas and rats a week or two later.

Zappo

Explorer
Planescape campaign: mostly renaissance; gunpowder is very rare and most people don't know about it.

Warcraft campaign: steampunk-ish, with steam-powered giant robots and the like. However, "advanced" technological devices are notoriously unreliable and require specialized skills to operate, so few people use them on any large scale. Guns and crude explosives are common, though.

Remove ads