Player Character vs Player Character fight ends in death...

Hannibal King

First Post
So yesterday, after many years of gaming, two players, the party barbarian and the party wizard, who had been at each other's throats for several sessions decided to duel to the death. Yeah somebody died.
As DM I remained impartial as I could see this fight coming for ages so it was no surprise to me. I was surprised how poorly prepared the barbarian was for the fight considering he made the threat to "Kill the Wizard if he every showed his face again" (the wizard was invisible at the time). The wizard appeared, said he was tired of the threats, and said he wanted to end this once and for all. They rolled for initiative. The wizard won and cast greater invisibility. That was pretty much the end of the fight cause the barbarian couldn't target him and the wizard had plenty of scorching rays, spectral hand focus shocking grasps, and a lightning bolt or two.
Just some notes about these two characters
- The wizard 'accidentally' toasted the party with a miss aimed fireball, once. No one died.
- The wizard tried to play a practical joke on the NPC party cleric by showing him a mirror of opposite gender. The NPC cleric who wasn't effected smashed the mirror.
- The wizard tried to affect the party ranger with a potion of love.
- The wizard like to toss around fireball spells to slay monsters even if it meant treasure or items being destroyed.

- The barbarian threatened to hurt or kill other characters on a regular basis.
- On at least one occasion the barbarian physically grabbed another character to threaten them.
- The barbarian fell for the mirror of opposite gender trap himself then grappled the wizard and forced him to look at it as well, changing the wizard's gender.
- After the NPC cleric smashed the mirror the barbarian blamed the wizard and threatened to kill him...
... which led to the fight and his subsequent death.

So anyone got any thoughts on this or care to share your own tales of in party fights that ended badly?
HK

Crothian

First Post
It is only bad if the players didn't have fun. As long as the players are having fun then can slaughter each other for all I care.

KenM

Banned
Banned
How do the other player characters feel about what happened? Did any of them take sides either way?

Napftor

Explorer
If this is a character thing, then I wouldn't worry. But if this is player vs. player hostility then you've got problems. I've never had this happen in my group so I can't offer any advice aside from throwing one or both players out of your group for a session or two.

Harmon

First Post
I was going to convay an event I dealt with but its in the past and best forgotten.

What happened with the players? Are they POed at each other or was it played out with humor and a "great fight," hand shake at the end?

Hannibal King

First Post
Well I sure the wizard player was POed cause it came to that and the barbarian player was POed cause he died. They did resurrect the barbarian after communing with his spirit to make sure there was no ill will. I'm just hoping a lesson is learnt from this.
As a fellow player I know who I feel was in the wrong but I'll keep that to myself.

DerHauptman

First Post
Absolutely Agreeed

Crothian said:
It is only bad if the players didn't have fun. As long as the players are having fun then can slaughter each other for all I care.

Right on...Crothian!

This can be super fun or really tense depending on the maturity levels at the table. I loved the game I played in where me (1/2 Orc F/Rgr/W/Spell Sword - CN...lol - low wis + chaotic alignment = lack of focus in the class department) and the Dwarf Paladin had a great little bit of tension going.

We role played it out and after a few life savings and major contributions later we came to an understanding and mutual respect. He stopped telling me what to do so often and I tried to not go overboard on the CN thing.

However, it could have just as easy gone south fast. We are in our late 30's early 40's though so its all in good fun. We had already talked about it in our character journals and were ready for the confrontation.

I would have lost of course becasue of my lack of focus, which made me weak. It would have been fun though.

I hate paladins anyways as a player and I don't really do good either casue its like some actors (Keanu, Buffy, whatever her name is, etc.) ya know - I find it hard to stray too far from my real personality. Can't do the code thing.

Now to cover my but on the late 30's early 40's comment...I have met a good number of teens with their heads on tight and some 30 somethings in la la land though. There was this 14 year old kid I gamed with last year who had to have a 20 WIS score for sure - way wise beyond the years and way more mature than I am - lol.

Thanks,

DerHauptman - Out!

Hannibal King

First Post
What I found strange is that the barbarian,who was having his butt handed to him and had not 'Raged' yet, didn't call for a truce or cease fire and at least try and talk it out?

I don't know maybe the barbarian didn't think anyone would ever stand up to his threats?
Guess he was wrong.

HK

Aeric

Explorer
It seems like there's always that one character who does annoying things, tries to steal from the party, shows disregard for the other characters, etc. Sooner or later that character is either asked to leave the group or driven off violently. If the behavior annoys the players, then it's a problem. Otherwise, let the chips fall where they may.

Hannibal King said:
- The barbarian fell for the mirror of opposite gender trap himself then grappled the wizard and forced him to look at it as well, changing the wizard's gender.

Now that's funny! :lol:

Hannibal King

First Post
Aeric said:
Now that's funny! :lol:

Yes it was. In fact the wizard was glad for the change. He wanted to be a she!
The barbarian however wasn't happy after the wizard tried to pull the same stunt on the party cleric who decided it was best to destroy the mirror. The saying "Don't do onto other what you don't want done to you" or some such, seems to fit here.

HK

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases