Wildwood Red in Tooth and Claw [OOC]

Voadam

Legend
IC
IC Old
RG
INFO

“It all started with those damn birds. I didn’t think anything of it when I first saw them. After all, a few black birds are nothing to worry about. Then it turned into a flock. Then the birds began to swarm and there were thousands and thousands of them in a black cloud that blotted out the sky. They descended and surrounded me. And that’s when it all began.”

This is a heavily house ruled 3.5 game set in the Forge world of Oathbound’s Wildwood. I try to keep the focus on story and action instead of mechanics. It will be high powered with lots of options but start at 1st level. Specific house rules, adjustments to core classes, and possible player source materials are listed below.

In general I am looking for players interested in the possibilities of the campaign. If the house rules are not to your liking then this is probably not a campaign for you as I am not interested in arguing about the merits of the game rules.

Wildwood is a continent realm of wilderness where no major trade and no major agriculture takes hold. Hunting and the threat of vicious predatory beasts dominates the life of the inhabitants. It is said the divine overlord of the land loves to hunt and to watch kills. He stocks the land with prey and predators from a thousand worlds and made the realm bountiful for both. He is also said to pull individuals or whole cities into the realm to see if they will adapt to a life without trade and farms to support them or fall and be consumed.

Major sentient races of the area include Dover (humanoid dog race), Elves, Goblinoids, Gnolls, Lycanthropes, and Green Dragons.

Ore is very rare in the continent, the majority of metal objects did not originate here and metal objects cannot be easily made or bought, although foreign aliens are often a great source of plunder and metal objects.

The campaign started in a benevolent Dover village that rescues new inhabitants when they find them. Characters are required to reserve and then spend either 1 skill point or one bonus language slot to learn the common Dover language if they are not of that race. Characters can be descended from most any world background due to the nature of Wildwood. I only require that players make characters that can work together when thrown in a dangerous environment.

I try and post 1/weekday when I am not on vacation. I do not expect anybody to post on weekends.

Current party:
Voidrazor: playing NR4ZN Large warforged power armor adept [active]
Shayuri: playing Inamar human gestalt warlock sorcerer [active]
Drowned Hero: playing Rooth shifter ranger [active]
Hellrazor: playing Syfer chiao (tiger man) humanoid [active]

Pyrex: playing Weylan elan gestalt psychic warrior soulknife [inactive?]

Chakken98: playing Thelso Dover Cleric [inactive]
Dog45: playing Firblain Headsplitter Dwarven gestalt barbarian ranger[inactive]
Kularian: playing Victor von Blacke tiefling ranger [inactive]

Slave of the Scythe playing elven fighter [ready to be activated if he returns to the boards]
Argent Silvermage: playing Athan Zee, Ottotowan technologist [ready to be activated if returns to the boards]
Ryfte: playing gestalt scout/druid [ready to be activated if he returns to the boards]

Former party:
Ilium: playing Jeanpierre human gestalt knight cleric [inactive]
Fenris: playing Noni, a human ranger [inactive]
d20Dazza: playing Cursed, an Ilonis sorcerer [inactive]
Watus: Playing Tur, a lizardfolk gestalt barbarian [inactive]
Endovior: playing Alan Keep, human gestalt soulknife hexblade [inactive]

Last edited:

Voadam

Legend
Character creation

1st level and default 48 point buy.

Optional starting point buy and LA variations:

Option two 56 point buy: Can increase point buy to 56 if restrict class options to NPC classes only.

Option three 48 point buy alternative: LA +1 race restricted to NPC classes.

Option four 40 point buy: LA +2 race restricted to NPC classes. LA +1. Alternatively can take gestalt option with one class required to be an NPC class.

Option Five 32 point buy: Can take an LA +3 race restricted to NPC classes. LA +2 race. LA +1 race Gestalt with NPC class. Or Gestalt.

Option six 24 point buy: LA +4 restricted to NPC class. LA +3. LA +2 Gestalt with NPC class. LA +1 Gestalt.

100 gp for starting equip regardless of class

See house rules, and class and race options and modifications below.

Once the game starts I will be requiring at least one post a week day that I am in town from all PCs. Failure to post for a while without advance notice in the OOC thread will likely result in messy character death at the jaws of a predator.

Voadam

Legend
House rules

House rules:

Beasts are Dangerous: iterative attacks work with natural weapons

Red in Tooth and claw: claws do slashing, bite does piercing.

Poisons are Deadly: successful saves on poisons result in half damage

More Death Buffer: Arcana Unearthed/Iron Heroes style extended disabled/dying and fort saves for negative hp instead of death at -10

Fancy Footwork: add base reflex save to Dex AC bonus.

Dodging is Simple: Dodge Feat = flat +1 dodge bonus

Hanging Tough: Toughness turns into Improved Toughness feat (from Complete Warrior, +1 hp/level) at third level.

Falling is Dangerous: falling damage accelerates, it is 1d6 for each ten feet fallen, for each set of 10'. Still 20d6 max

So:
10=1d6
20=3d6
30=6d6
40=10d6
50=15d6
60=20d6

Built Ford Tough: no massive damage save

Shirts or Skins: natural armor overlaps with regular armor instead of stacking

Hack, Hack, Hack: max hp at first level, half HD average round up for other levels

Mix and Match: No favored class, multiclass freely without xp penalty. Fractional BAB and save advancements for multiclass characters. Fractional saves give you levels in good or bad save progression (No starting over for another 2.5 with 1st level good saves).

Magic Stacks: multiclassing spell caster spell slots and spells known stack AU style

I can do Anything: No cross-class skills, everything is a class skill for everybody. Only need a story explanation for how acquired.

We Don’t Need No Stinking Skill Rolls: Don’t expect many skill rolls, particularly for social actions. Most things I see your score and character development (concept, history, characterization, and mechanical choices) and adjudicate based on that, not rolls.

I Kan Reed Gud: Characters are illiterate as a default. Literacy in a spoken language takes a one time feat then a separate skill point for every written language.

What’s That Say: Decipher script does not exist as a skill

It’s a Trap: Anybody can search for traps regardless of DC

I Make Magic: Crafting magic items does not cost xp

Magic’s Expensive: xp spells cost extra gold for component instead of xp

Feel the Power: levels are awarded when I say so, individual xp is not given to players.

Let’s Go: teleport is shorter range (1 mile)

Pikachu, I choose you: Summoned celestial and fiendish smite works as a lesser constant smite against targeted aligned creatures, not a powerful 1/day thing.

Some core spells not allowed (searing light I’m talking about you, domains using it will be modified upon request, also most anything with sonic damage).

Beyond Good and Evil: Alignment is only for divine champions, undead, and outsiders, everyone else is neutral. Alignments are primal forces, not moralities. Class alignment restrictions do not apply other than as social expectations.

Specific Beasts: shape shifting and summoning requires a focus of the thing being summoned or shape assumed (usually a bone).

Giants are People Too: Giants are a humanoid subtype that use giant type traits (can be affected by "person" spells, etc.)

Medusae are People Too: Monstrous humanoids are a humanoid subtype that use monstrous humanoid type traits (can be affected by "person" spells, etc.).

Trolls are Trolls: Trolls all also have the troll subtype regardless of whether they are also giants or monstrous humanoid subtypes.

Orcs are goblins: Orcs are subtype goblinoid and orcish is just a dialect of goblin

Did it Work?: DM handles all rolling. Post appropriate character mechanics and numbers in OOC portion of IC posts with spoiler tags.

What? You Want a Cookie?: No arrival gifts.

Skilled: Feats every level instead of every three. I think feats are fun and add to characters and want PCs to have more.

No Wasted Learning: If you multiclass into a class that grants a bonus feat you already have you instead gain a related feat. For instance a character with Tracking who later becomes a ranger could gain Skill Focus Survival to boost his tracking instead of being out a feat compared to a character that waited to learn tracking. Taking a class that provides abilities you are good at should make you better at those abilities instead of no increased benefit.

First level benefits are for the best of your classes. So the max hp and 4x skillpoints for first level are whatever your best class is. It doesn't matter if you go sorcerer 1 then rogue 1 or rogue 1 then sorcerer 1 both second level characters will look the same mechanically.

Smarts!: Int skill bonuses are retroactive. If somebody increases their int permanently through level advancement they get the extra skill points and can learn a new language. Skill increases must still make sense for the character from a story perspective and can be saved until appropriate opportunities for skill development.

I got better: heal works like treat injury from d20 modern, but the treat injury application can be done once per encounter resulting in wounds and cures 1d4 for every 5 points above DC 10 on the heal check.

Shake it off: Reserve hp rule, reserve points = max hp, 1 reserve point heals 1 damage 1/minute.

Mostly dead: instant death effects take you to dying status, not dead.

Healing is Easy: All core spellcasting classes get healing type spells on their spell list and at the lowest level it is available to the other core classes.

Last edited:

Voadam

Legend
Core Class Changes

Bard:

Increase HD to d8.

Cleric:

Spontaneous divine caster variant from Unearthed Arcana

Clerics can choose any domains, regardless of religion or god as long as appropriate for character

Clerics can be godless, or worship non-divine beings (dragons, demons, etc.), or pantheons, or specific gods

Druid:

Spontaneous divine caster variant from Unearthed Arcana

Druids do not automatically know summon nature’s ally spells or get companions

Druids gain a domain, which can be but need not be nature summoning. Nature summoning domain’s power is animal companion.

Monk:

No multiclass restrictions

Paladins:

Paladins can be spell less variants from Complete Warrior or trade spellcasting for bonus feats. Alternatively they can convert spellcasting to spontaneous divine casting knowing 1 spell per spell casting level. No prepared Spell casting.

Option to have smite evil work continuously but not be a flat damage bonus against evil creatures. Note Beyond Good and Evil Above, casting [EVIL] spells counts as evil action for falling, otherwise good to go. Code is a social code expected of paladins and they are socially expected to act good.

No multiclass restrictions.

Rangers:

Increase HD to d10

Rangers can be spell less variants from Complete Warrior or Wildscapes or trade spellcasting for bonus feats. Alternatively they can convert spells to spontaneous divine casting knowing 1 spell per spell casting level. No prepared spell casting.

No animal companion, although a feat would allow one.

Rogues:

HD increase to d8

Trapsense = elf style auto trap check

Sorcerers:

Increase HD to d6

Gain 1 free metamagic level they can use per day per sorcerer level

Familiar requires a feat or spell or reducing class HD to d4

Wizards:

Increase HD to d6

Wizards can learn spells from any items they have crafting feats to create, not just scrolls

Wizards can prepare spells without spellbooks. Doing so increases the spell slot required by 1 level.

Familiar requires a feat or spell or reducing class HD to d4

Last edited:

Voadam

Legend
Races

Home base for the campaign is Dover village, with neighboring local elf and goblin populations as well and outsiders can come from most any race.

Races that do not have common as their primary language do not speak common as a free language

no half races: Half elves and half orcs are distinct elf and orc subraces with the core half race mechanics. Many monster and race book supplements allowed (I don‘t have Savage Species or any WotC Races of Books though). Half templates exist but do not come about through hybridization. Races are essentially species.

LA +1 to +4 OK but see above.

Good Doggy: Dover traits are from Complete Minons, medium humanoid (canine) +2 dex, +2 wis, -2 int, scent, bite 1d6 natural weapon, +4 listen racial bonus, two weapon fighting bonus feat, speak canine, +1 LA

Little Birdy: Vogels are size small.

Many non-PH sources including lots of monster books are OK. Ask if interested.

Race Books: see below under Sources

Last edited:

Voadam

Legend
Sources

I have over 100 d20 books and pdfs so ask if there is something you want to use, I might have it. The answer will be either no, yes with changes, or yes. Since I am starting at 1st level I am more likely to allow weird classes or races and see how they progress.

Sources I have for further possible class options I will consider but have to review first if you want stuff from them, and I might alter stuff:

Sources:

WotC: Unearthed Arcana, Complete Warrior, Psionics SRD, Modern SRD, Dragonlance CS, FRCS, Wheel of Time, Diablo, Tome of Magic, Player's Handbook II, Complete Adventurer,* Complete Arcane,* Complete Divine,* Eberron Campaign Setting,* Races of Eberron,* Races of Destiny,* Races of Stone,* Races of the Wild* and excerpt articles posted on the WotC website presenting full descriptions of certain classes. (* are through crystalkeep.com)

Third-Party, several including:
Grand OGL Wiki
0one Games: Heroes and Magic
93 Game Studios: Base Class Apprentice
AEG: Mercenaries, Warlords of the Accordlands Master Codex,
Aegis Studios: Contagion Revised, Virulence,
Alea Publishing: A Question of Honor Knightly Orders, A Question of Loyalty Military Orders, Chronicles of Yrza Crow, Crusader Subclass, Honor and Corruption, Mindcraft, Poor Gamers Almanacs,
Ancient Awakenings Publications: Dryden Hero or Horror,
Atlas Games: Nyambe, Occult Lore,
Avalanche Press: Aztecs, Black Flags Pirates of the Caribbean, War in Heliopolis,
Bards and Sages: Neiyar,
Bastion Press: Wildwood, Mysteries of Arena, Torn Asunder, Spells and Magic, Pale Designs,
Blue Devil Games: Helios Rising,
Chainmail Bikini: Beyond Monks 3.0,
Creative Mountain Gaming: Lexus Culture Class County Clergy, Lexus Culture Class Trundlefolk,
Cryptosnark Games: Deeds Not Words,
Crystalkeep.com: Classes
DaemonEye Publishing: Academe Mentus, Dead Stars,
Dark Quest Games: In the Saddle,
Dog Soul Publishing: Books of Faith Hinduism, Books of Faith Jainism, Fishers for the Dead, Gallia, Kitsunemori
Dream Scarred Press: High Psionics Soulknives, Races of the Mind Elan, Untapped Classes Complete Marksman, Untapped Potential,
Dunham Studios: Elemental Powers Player’s Sourcebook,
Emerald Press: Wilderness Master,
EN Publishing: Asgard Magazine 1-7, Crimson Contracts, Crystalmancy, Elements of Magic, Elements of Magic Revised, Elements of Magic Lyceian Academy, Elements of Magic Mythic Earth, Fantastic Science, Four Color to Fantasy, Four Color to Fantasy Revised, Heroes of Code, Monks of the 9 Animal Clans, Necromancer's Legacy Bloodlines and Paragons, Steam & Steel, Three Arrows for the King, War of the Burning Sky Player's Guide,
Fantasy Flight Games: Cityworks, Darkness & Dread, Midnight, Path of Faith, Path of Magic, Path of Shadows, Path of Swords, School of Evocation, School of Illusion, Sorcery & Steam, Traps and Treachery, Wildscape,
Fifth Element Games: Alignment Paragons, Eldritch Codex: Libram of Silver Magic,
Goodman Games: Complete Guide to Fey, Complete Guide to Rakshasa, Complete Guide to Treants, Morningstar, Underdark Adventure Guide,
Green Ronin: Avatar’s Handbook, Book of Fiends, Freeport Trilogy, Testament, Witch’s Handbook,
Heathen Oracle: Novice to Master,
High Moon Media: Paragons: Forest Dwellers, Paragons: Sun and Sea,
Inner Circle: Broken Isles Player's Guide,
Legacy of Maela: Legacy of Maela Campaign Setting, Legacy of Maela Remote Settings,
LPJ: Races of NeoExodus: Cavian, Races of NeoExodus: Cynean, Races of NeoExodus: Dalrean, Races of NeoExodus: Enuka, Races of NeoExodus: Prymidian, Races of NeoExodus: Sasori,
Malhavok Press: Arcana Evolved, Arcana Unearthed, Book of Experimental Might, Book of Experimental Might II, Book of Hallowed Might, Complete Book of Eldritch Might, Iron Heroes, Iron Heroes Bestiary
Malladin's Gate: Dark Lore Campaign Primer, Forgotten Heroes Paladins, Forgotten Heroes Sorcerers, Modern Heroes Martial Avengers, Saint John’s College of Abjuration, Unearthed Adventurers Volume 1,
Mind's Eye Games: Tarot Magic,
Mob United Media: OGL The Fighting Priest, OGL The Thief, OGL The Warbard, Steel and Stealth,
Mongoose Publishing: Conan RPG Pocket Edition, Infernum Player’s Guide,
Monkey God: From Stone to Steel, Frost and Fur,
Morrigan Press: Talislanta d20
Octaviarate Games: Collectabeasts, Simple Tricks and Nonsense,
Otherworld Creations: Forbidden Kingdoms
Paizo: Dragon 310, Dragon 317, Dragon 318, Dragon 319, Dragon 320, Dragon 326, Dragon 337, Dungeon 100, Pathfinder Alpha 1-3,
Red Dragon Tavern Games: Tome of the Lost Realms Campaign Setting
Red Moon Games: Kyngdom Campaign Setting,
RollInitiative.com: Book of Versus Classes
Ronin Arts: Core Class Variants,
RPGObjects: Legends of the Samurai,
Sean K. Reynolds Games: New Argonauts,
Sovereign Press: Age of Mortals,
Spellbinder Games: Dreadmire Bonus Material,
Sword Sorcery Studios: Aberrant d20, Everquest RPG PH, Gamma World PH,
S.T. Cooley Games: Enchiridion of Elided Enduements of the Expanse,
Tangent Games: Ados Land of Strife,
Team Frog: Vampire Hunter$,
The Le: Neo Druids Savage Heart, Neo Clerics Opus Priest, Neo Fighters Fire Knight, Neo Paladins Martyr, Neo Rangers the Spider King, Pimp My Paladin, Unorthodox Barbarians, Unorthodox Bards, Unorthodox Clerics, Unorthodox Fighters, Unorthodox Monks, Unorthodox Paladins, Unorthodox Pirates, Unorthodox Ranged Combatants, Unorthodox Sorcerers, Unorthodox Witches, Vikings,
Throwing Dice Games: Character Customization,
Vigilance Press: Clash of Arms: Cavalry, Clash of History: Witch Trials, Clash of Kings: Guilds and Money, Clash of Kings: Nobility, Prometheus, Vigilance,
Zeitgeist Games: Blackmoor Campaign Setting
and maybe others.

I might consider some of these classes underpowered, such as many of the Avalanche Press historical ones, and therefore NPC ones.

Race Books: Mythic Races, Races of Evernor I-III, Umbragia Races, Emerging Forms Aegire, Races of the Underdark (the web enhancement for Goodman Games underdark monster book), 6 Races of NeoExodus, a bunch of Campaign settings (Oathbound, Wildwood, Arena, Mysteries of Arena, www.athas.org for Dark Sun www.planewalker.com for Planescape, Forgotten Realms CS, Dragonlance CS, Age of Mortals, Arcana Evolved, Valus, Kyngdoms, Helios Rising, Burok Torn from scarred lands, Dragonlords of Melnibone, Twin Crowns CS, Nyambe, Ravenloft CS, Twilight of Atlantis, Ragnarok, Doom of Odin, Castlemourn Player's Guide, Ptolus, Argyle Lorebook, Midnight, Talislanta d20, Morningstar, Blackmoor CS, Legacy of Maela, Warlords of the Accordlands Master Codex, each have new races), a bunch of monster books (for example Advanced Bestiary, Blackdirge's Dungeon Denizens, Complete Minions, Creature Weekly, Creature Collection Revised, Complete Denizens of Avadnu, E.N. Critters, Fiend Folio, Lethal Lexicon, Little People, Manual of Monsters, Monster Manual II and IV, Monsternomicon 3.5 I & II, Menagerie, the srd, and others) and a few miscellaneous sources (Children of the Fey, Children of the Serpent, Complete Guide to Treants, Hidden Races, Honor and Corruption, Mercenaries, Mystic Warriors, Race Creation Cookbook, Races: Animal Kingdoms, Rats in the Walls, apes of Nature, Myth and Fantasy, Mars RPG, Dreamscapes, the "Into the" series, Out for Blood, and Faeries, others).

Major spell sources: SRD/PH, Spell Compendium, Tome and Blood, Magic of Faerun, Arcane Strife, Book of Curses, Complete Book of Eldritch Might, Crystalmancy, Dweomercraft Enchanters, Encyclopedia Arcane Necromancy, Joe's Book of Enchantment, Minor Magicks, Paths of Power, Practical Enchanter, Quintessential Wizard, Relics and Rituals, Relics and Rituals II, School of Evocation, School of Illusion, Simple Tricks and Nonsense, Spells and Magic, Spells and Spellcraft, Urban Magica Spell Cards, and other ones that have fewer spells.

Major combat feat sources: SRD, Sword and Fist, Complete Warrior, Player's Handbook II, Torn Asunder, Arcana Unearthed, Iron Heroes, Book of Iron Might, Beyond Monks, Deeds Not Words, Deeds Not Words Smack Down, Masters of Arms, Martial Arts Mayhem Vol 1, Legends of the Samurai, Action Maneuvers, Critical Feats, Rage Feats, Sunder Feats, http://realmshelps.dandello.net/datafind/feats.shtml others.

Psionics (Standard 3.5) Sources: 3.5 srd, Hyperconsciousness, Untapped Potential, Divine Mind, Races of the Mind Elan, High Psionics Psionic Feats, Gestalt Surge Feats.

Alternate Magic System Sources: Psionics 3.5 (srd), Tome of Magic, Forgotten Realms CS, Wheel of Time, Arcana Unearthed, Complete Book of Eldritch Might, Elements of Magic, Elements of Magic Revised, Elements of Magic Mythic Earth, Everquest RPG 1e, Iron Heroes, Legends of the Samurai, Midnight, Occult Lore, Relics and Rituals, Spellbound, Twin Crowns CS, Talislanta d20, Four Color to Fantasy, Mindcraft, Psihammer, Academe Mentus, Mystic Warriors, Deeds Not Words, Vigilance, Others.

Ritual Magic sources: Relics and Rituals, Twin Crowns CS, Spellbound, Heroes of High Favor Elves

Elan sources: Races of the Mind Elan

Last edited:

Voadam

Legend
So I'm recreating most of the info from cached searches, will work on RG, Info and then IC (have a bunch of IC copied but missing the last few days, will post the copies then recreate the missing parts).

Voadam

Legend
Keep for RG

Alan Keep
Human Hexblade 1 / Soulknife 1
Str10
Dex16 (+3)
Con10
Int14 (+2)
Wis10
Cha16 (+3)
BaB: +1
HP: 10
AC: 19 (+4 armor, +4 dex, +1 dodge)
Fort: +0
Ref: +5
Will: +2
Attack: Mind Blade (+5, 1d6, 19-20/x2)
Grapple: +1
Feats: Dodge, Weapon Finesse, Weapon Focus (Mind Blade), Wild Talent
Special Abilities: Hexblade's Curse 1/Day, Mind Blade
Skills:
Autohypnosis: 4: +4
Bluff: 1+3: +4
Concentration: 4: +4
Knowledge (Arcana) 1+2: +3
Knowledge (Psionics) 1+2: +3
Hide: 1+3: +4
Intimidate: 2+3: +5
Listen: 1: +1
Move Silently: 1+3: +4
Speak Language (Dover): 1
Spellcraft: 1+2: +3
Spot: 1: +1
Psicraft: 1+2: +3
Use Magic Device: 4+3: +7
Use Psionic Device: 4+3: +7
Languages: Common, Orc, Gnoll, Dover
Equipment: Chain Shirt

Background:

Alan Keep is (was?) an officer in the Horned Society, the chief military force of the Empire of Iuz. As his father was a powerful Necromancer, rightly feared throughout the land, Alan gained access to some quite excellent training in an academy given to the research of darker things. This training revealed some innate sorcerous power, in addition to psionic aptitude. Given time, he could have become a potent Sorcerer and Wilder, but a great war was brewing, and officers were in high demand. Alan, 14 at the time, had already been slated for military service, and he was already involved in an officer training program. His formal training in magic and psionics was more practical then anything else; a furious training program to develop a combat-useful edge. And Alan did just that... he honed his mental focus to create a useful weapon, and discovered a trick of magic to curse his enemies. Thus armed, he paid relatively little attention to the scholarly 'book-learning' prevalent among his peers (although Alan didn't know any better, what he deemed 'book-learning' was in fact a comprehensive and darkly magnificent program of study into the mysteries of death, undeath, negative energy, and the lower planes... with the end result that Alan defines a 'scholar' as 'one obsessed with dead people and the names of demons'), preferring instead to focus on what he felt more useful; how to use the wands and dorjes churned out by Imperial itemcrafters (or, commonly enough, procured from Fiendish sources). Had Alan's training been deeper, or he more interested, he could have learned to use those items by thorough understanding of their workings... instead, he merely learned how to fake it. The latest war was already well underway, and Alan was certainly competent in a fight (if not the type of fight that his peers favored!), so he was given a commission, a uniform, and some reasonable armor (he could've had better, but he refused to wear anything heavier then a Chain Shirt). Thus equipped, he set off for war, and (though he did not know it), for his inevitable death, as his new posting had already been set p for ambush, and would be attacked and detroyed but a short time after his prospective arrival. As fate would have it, though, something intervened...

Voadam

Legend
Tur

Turalisj'na'Sveargith ("Tur")
Lizardfolk - Medium Humanoid (Reptilian)
Lizardfolk 1 / Barbarian (Dragon Totem) 1
Str 16 (+3)
Dex 14 (+2)
Con 14 (+2)
Int 9 (-1)
Wis 14 (+2)
Cha 13 (+1)
Mov: 30'
Init: +2
BaB: +1
HP: 14
AC: 16 (+2 nat. armor, +2 dex, +2 ref)
Fort: +4
Ref: +4
Will: +2
Attack: 2 claws +4 melee (1d4+3) and bite +2 melee (1d4+1), Greateaxe +4 melee (1d12+4, x3) and bite +2 melee (1d4+1), Kukri +4 melee (1d4+3, 18-20/x2) and claw +2 melee (1d4+1) and bite +2 melee (1d4+1), Javelin +3 range (1d6+3, 30ft)
Grapple: +4
Feats: Blind Fight, Multiattack
Special Abilities: Rage (1x/day)
Special Qualities: Hold breath
Skills:
Balance (0) +6
Climb (0) +3
Intimidate (4) +5
Jump (0) +7
Listen (3) +5
Speak Language (Dover)
Survival (4) +6
Swim (0) +7

Languages: Draconic, Dover
Equipment:
Cold Iron Greataxe (40gp)
2 Javelins (2gp)
Kukri (8gp)
Potion (Cure Lt Wnds) (50gp)

Hold Breath
A lizardfolk can hold its breath for a number of rounds equal to four times its Constitution score before it risks drowning.

Background:
In his previous life, Turalisj had had everything. A promising young son of the Maekrix of Clan Kuric, he had been the first of the season's hatchlings to devour his last sibling and was inducted into the warrior caste in the first culling. His size, prowess and lineage had won him respect. After his final molt, he had bonded with a powerful broodmate, allied himself with her sire, and begun his ascension into the ranks of power.

A mere six months later, and he was nothing. Less than nothing, he was an outcast. That he had committed no crime was irrelevant. In this abominable wasteland, he had no clan, no mate, no slaves, and no honor. What he did have was a cursed lifedebt to a tribe of sucklings whose ways he would never understand.

He remembered nothing of his translation to this world, or of the time - however long - that immediately followed. He remembered only the birds. The warmbloods had found him bleeding out his last on some game trail near the edge of their lands. He had apparently been attacked and left for dead, but by what they did not know. There was no doubt in his mind that if their situations had been reversed, he would have spit-roasted and devoured them, but this was not their way. They dragged him back to their settlement and, despite their ignorance of his race, they managed to nurse him back to health. Why they would do such a thing, he would never understand, but in the time since his rescue, the Dovers had adopted a number of other foundlings. In Tur's mind, it was a level of foolishness that bordered on the suicidal. To bring in these outsiders, to give them such close access to their mates and hatchlings.... it boggled the mind. Their folly had, over time, inspired in Tur a feeling that was almost, but not entirely, quite unlike pity. He could not find the words to describe it. It was like pity, but without the desire to destroy and consume. But that wasn't exactly right, either. What was perfectly clear, in any case, was that they needed protecting, often from themselves, and Tur meant to do it. Their motivations for saving his life were mysterious, but the consequences of that act were not. For a warrior of the Dragonkin, a lifedebt was a serious matter. Tur would protect them, whether they liked it or not.

Voadam

Legend
Nonee

Background
Spoiler:

Noni was an experiment of the Hunter. The Hunter had a thought and wanted to see this idea come to fruition. The Hunter knew that the race of man was weak without the trappings of other worlds. But perhaps Wildwood could mold some stronger man. He tried placing several infants in the woods, but they all perished from exposure. He tried inserting them into the litters of animals, but they were eaten, rejected or died because they took too long to mature. So the Hunter decided to try an older child, one who could live on his own a bit, but was not yet too tainted by the trappings of Man. He plucked this boy from another world, The Hunter cared not where or when, and placed him in a special area of Wildwood. There were many berries and fruits there and The Hunter took care that predators stayed out, for now. This boy managed to find water to drink and food to eat, and grew and played in the Wildwood. The Hunter saw that the boy could survive thus far and began to add weather to temper the boy. Scorching summers, freezing winters, and torrential rain caused the boy much pain, but always he found a way to survive. For although the Hunter had removed the large predators, he had left the small animals. So the boy watched and learned from them, and learned to burrow for cool spot on a hot day or to escape the freezing winds. He learned soon too that animals could be eaten, by watching the hawk and the fox.

The Boy grew slowly, but he The Hunter was pleased, his experiment was working well, here was a man that could finally contend with the natural forces of Wildwood. So The Hunter began to send predators at the young man, slowly. The boy was sorely wounded by the first, a lynx. But the boy learned the power of rock as they tumbled together down a slope, the cats head hit the rock and did not get up. The boy has never seen such an animal nor had any every attacked him. He lay there for days as his body recovered. But heal it did and the boy took the rock and the cat. he was amazed at the way the claws would move in and out of the feet, even when dead. He did not fail to notice how sharp those claws were, his skin was still open from the wounds. The boy used the claws to cut off the skin of the cat. Far better than a little rabbit. And he picked his the rock and when hunting for the first time. He quietly crept up on a squirrel, raised his rock and...... missed. But after several tries he found a smaller stone could be thrown from farther away and work. This was by far a better way to go. The Hunter continued to send predators at the boy, but the boy had learned to hear like the rabbits and heard them. And the squirrels taught him that the trees were safe. But he had seen the lynx climb a tree to get him. So the boy hide rocks in the trees and dropped them on the predators. This worked for a while, but the Hunter was always challenging him, sending more and larger predators. But the boy learned to watch them first and as he grew stronger and faster became the predator not the prey.
The boy regretted that he did not have sharp claws or teeth. That changed one day when he was trying to find the footprints of a deer that had traveled down a rocky slope. He slipped and cut himself on a sharp outcropping. Breaking off the rock he found it was a long sharp piece, like a beavers front teeth but bigger. Using this piece he was able to cut skin more easily. So the boy grew into a man. He knew this forest well. For some reason he never wandered past the hills to the south or the river to the east, but otherwise he roamed his territory. He knew every rock and tree and knew the animals well too. The Hunter sent him many challenges, but he defeated them all. So it was that one day a great beast appeared to him, silently and unannounced, catching Noni off guard, something that had not happened in a long time. It was the Hunter come to Noni. He spoke in sounds that Noni did not understand. The Hunter reached out and touched Noni's head and suddenly the words became clear, it was speech and now Noni could understand it. The Hunter told Noni that it was time for him to leave. To seek his way out among the rest of the Wildwood. The Hunter stayed and taught Noni the things other sentients of the forest knew, how to make a bow and shoot it, how to speak this new thing called language. After a week, The Hunter sent Noni away. "Go south of the hills and find the first village after the largest maple tree. That village of Dovers will house you and send you on your way." And with that he was gone. Noni was still getting used to him name that The Hunter had given him, Noni went south as he had been ordered to find the Dovers. Once there the Dovers taught him how to speak better, what clothes were and how to act in society (their society). He repaid them by hunting for them.

Meanwhile, back in a small glade, a small human child was creeping out of a bush his eyes wide in wonder at this new land he had been transported to.

Code:

Human Male Ranger 1 XP: Neutral Str 16 (+3) Dex 18 (+4) Con 16 (+3) Int 14 (+2) Wis 14 (+2) Cha 8 (-1) Size: Medium (6'1", 165 lbs) HP: 16 BAB: +1 Init: +4 Move: 30' Grapple +4 AC: 18 (10 +2 armor + 4 dex +2 Ref) Saves: Fortitude: +5 Reflex: +6 Will: +2 Attacks: Axe +4; 1d8+4 (2h) Long Bow +5; 1d8 PBS +6/1d8+1 Feats: Track
Spoiler:
TRACK [GENERAL] Benefit: To find tracks or to follow them for 1 mile requires a successful Survival check. You must make another Survival check every time the tracks become difficult to follow. You move at half your normal speed (or at your normal speed with a –5 penalty on the check, or at up to twice your normal speed with a –20 penalty on the check). The DC depends on the surface and the prevailing conditions, as given on the table below: Surface Survival DC Surface Survival DC Very soft ground 5 Firm ground 15 Soft ground 10 Hard ground 20 Very Soft Ground: Any surface (fresh snow, thick dust, wet mud) that holds deep, clear impressions of footprints. Soft Ground: Any surface soft enough to yield to pressure, but firmer than wet mud or fresh snow, in which a creature leaves frequent but shallow footprints. Firm Ground: Most normal outdoor surfaces (such as lawns, fields, woods, and the like) or exceptionally soft or dirty indoor surfaces (thick rugs and very dirty or dusty floors). The creature might leave some traces (broken branches or tufts of hair), but it leaves only occasional or partial footprints. Hard Ground: Any surface that doesn’t hold footprints at all, such as bare rock or an indoor floor. Most streambeds fall into this category, since any footprints left behind are obscured or washed away. The creature leaves only traces (scuff marks or displaced pebbles). Several modifiers may apply to the Survival check, as given on the table below. Condition Survival DC Modifier Every three creatures in the group being tracked –1 Size of creature or creatures being tracked:1 Fine +8 Diminutive +4 Tiny +2 Small +1 Medium +0 Large –1 Huge –2 Gargantuan –4 Colossal –8 Every 24 hours since the trail was made +1 Every hour of rain since the trail was made +1 Fresh snow cover since the trail was made +10 Poor visibility:2 Overcast or moonless night +6 Moonlight +3 Fog or precipitation +3 Tracked party hides trail (and moves at half speed) +5 1 For a group of mixed sizes, apply only the modifier for the largest size category. 2 Apply only the largest modifier from this category. If you fail a Survival check, you can retry after 1 hour (outdoors) or 10 minutes (indoors) of searching. Normal: Without this feat, you can use the Survival skill to find tracks, but you can follow them only if the DC for the task is 10 or lower. Alternatively, you can use the Search skill to find a footprint or similar sign of a creature’s passage using the DCs given above, but you can’t use Search to follow tracks, even if someone else has already found them. Special: A ranger automatically has Track as a bonus feat. He need not select it. This feat does not allow you to find or follow the tracks made by a subject of a pass without trace spell.
Toughness Point Blank Shot Skills (bonus/ranks): Climb (+6/3) Craft (Bowyer/Fletcher) (+4/2) Craft (Stone Weapons) (+4/2) Hide (+7/3) Jump (+5/2) Knowledge (Nature) (+6/4) Listen (+6/4) Move Silently (+7/3) Search (+6/4) Spot (+6/4) Survival (+6/4) Swim (+4/1) Languages Known: Dover Class Features: Favored Enemy (Animals)
Spoiler:
At 1st level, a ranger may select a type of creature from among those given on Table: Ranger Favored Enemies. The ranger gains a +2 bonus on Bluff, Listen, Sense Motive, Spot, and Survival checks when using these skills against creatures of this type. Likewise, he gets a +2 bonus on weapon damage rolls against such creatures. At 5th level and every five levels thereafter (10th, 15th, and 20th level), the ranger may select an additional favored enemy from those given on the table. In addition, at each such interval, the bonus against any one favored enemy (including the one just selected, if so desired) increases by 2. If the ranger chooses humanoids or outsiders as a favored enemy, he must also choose an associated subtype, as indicated on the table. If a specific creature falls into more than one category of favored enemy, the ranger’s bonuses do not stack; he simply uses whichever bonus is higher.
Wild Empathy +0
Spoiler:
A ranger can improve the attitude of an animal. This ability functions just like a Diplomacy check to improve the attitude of a person. The ranger rolls 1d20 and adds his ranger level and his Charisma bonus to determine the wild empathy check result. The typical domestic animal has a starting attitude of indifferent, while wild animals are usually unfriendly. To use wild empathy, the ranger and the animal must be able to study each other, which means that they must be within 30 feet of one another under normal visibility conditions. Generally, influencing an animal in this way takes 1 minute, but, as with influencing people, it might take more or less time. The ranger can also use this ability to influence a magical beast with an Intelligence score of 1 or 2, but he takes a –4 penalty on the check.
Simple Weapon Proficiency Martial Weapon Proficiency Light Armor Proficiency Shield Proficiency Equipment: Boarhide armor (Leather armor equivalent) 10 gp Stone axe 10 gp Long bow 75 gp 20 Flint tipped arrows 1 gp Clothing

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases