Wildwood Red in Tooth and Claw [OOC]

Voadam

Legend
Endovior, I don't believe mindblades provide illumination.

One of the concepts of the soulknife is as an assassin and I believe they can hide with their mindblades going without giving away their position.

Here is the text on the powers of the mindblade

Mind Blade (Su)

As a move action, a soulknife can create a semisolid blade composed of psychic energy distilled from his own mind. The blade is identical in all ways (except visually) to a short sword of a size appropriate for its wielder.

Are you thinking of it as similar to the magic weapon illumination?

Light Generation

Fully 30% of magic weapons shed light equivalent to a light spell (bright light in a 20-foot radius, shadowy light in a 40-foot radius). These glowing weapons are quite obviously magical. Such a weapon can’t be concealed when drawn, nor can its light be shut off.

However even psionic weapons don't get that optional benefit, just the drawback of some being mentally audible.

Mentally Audible

Fully 30% of psionic weapons telepathically mutter, croon, recite battle poems, scream, or produce other mental “noises” when first drawn, at first blood, or when they slay a significant enemy. Such a weapon cannot be concealed from creatures within 15 feet when it is drawn, nor can its mental “soundtrack” be curbed.

I think it might be an aid to the game however if the party had an easy access to a source of light and I could see a glowing mindblade as being consistent with the class image.

I will give you the choice of either having it be the default no illumination or have the visual of the psychic energy be equal to a constant light effect.

Endovior

First Post
Hmm... yeah, I was thinking similar to magic weapon illumination.

That being said, I think I prefer the illumination, as I can't see in the dark.

Endovior

First Post
Also, since you're accepting Tome of Magic, I'm considering taking a couple levels of either Binder or Truenamer. As is, I plan to keep Alan advancing as a Hexblade straight on to 20th level... but I only need two Soulknife levels to qualify for Soulbow (although I'll take three, since I want Psychic Strike). That leaves me two free levels, and I'd been planning on taking some magic-type class to fill the void.

That being said, Binder would grant minor combat bonuses from whichever Vestige I summon, but Truenamer would provide much needed healing (through Minor Word of Nurturing).

For that reason, I'm leaning towards Truenamer.

Endovior

First Post
Hmm... looking over Truename magic, I've realised something... Truename magic quickly becomes impossible to use.

Since the DC of Truename magic checks are calculated on the formula of 15 + (2 x CR), the checks quickly become ridiculous... for example, a level 20 Truenamer has to make a DC 55 check to affect himself with a simple low-level buff... and even with 23 ranks, +2 synergy, +3 skill focus, +6 stat, and a natural 20 on the roll, that's still only a 54... meaning that he CAN'T use his power on himself. This makes the whole thing rather pointless... unless, of course, the formula is houseruled?

I'd personally suggest basing the DC of utterances off the level of the utterance being spoken, rather then the power of the target... perhaps including a +5/+10 increase in DC for the Crafted Tool and Perfected Map utterances.

Last edited:

Watus

First Post
If you're considering Truenamer because of the healing, I should say I'm planning on multiclassing Tur into Druid next level.

Endovior

First Post
Ah, in that case, I won't bother. I just wanted to avoid the whole no healer thing.

Incidentally, as I was thinking of doing so anyways, I picked up Iron Heroes.

My first thought was "Wow"

My second thought was "That CAN'T be balanced"

That being said... if you're suddenly including Iron Heroes, does that mean that we can suddenly pick up IH benefits? If so, I have some character surgery to do...

Last edited:

Voadam

Legend
I just got IH recently, and so it is now on my list of things I will consider for the game. No guarantees that I will let anything in though. My initial thoughts are that feat mastery chains are pretty cool. I haven't even looked at any of the specific classes yet with more than a glance. Token tracking might be a pain I don't want to keep track of however, we'll see.

Note the conversion notes in the back, it knocks down HD and some class powers. The classes were designed to be the equal without magic items of equivalent level D&D characters with magic items. Some neat stuff.

Remove ads