Wildwood Red in Tooth and Claw [OOC]

Voadam

Legend
Let me know if you are planning on picking up new classes as Tur is and I will try and provide opportunities in game for such things to naturally come out of the story. I've even been thinking about ways Keep could pick up Binder.

Also if you are thinking of something not core from my sources (like Binder or an IH warrior class or feat) some advance warning so I can read and evaluate them as game mechanics as well before they enter the game will be appreciated.

Voadam

Legend
Fenris I don't think you took any liberties with mycology/knowledge nature and I encourage you to continue in that vein as feels right to you for how you want to play Noni. It seemed a natural thing for Noni to say and suggest and I didn't blink until I saw the spoiler. :)

Endovior

First Post
I think that I'll probably be picking up my 4th and 5th levels as Binder levels. That's about it, although I may pick up an associated feat.

D20Dazza

Explorer
Hi Guys,

I'm going away for work until next Thursday and won't have any net access so can you please NPC me? I'll try and get something up over the weekend though, real life game tonight but.

Apologies

Cheers

Daz

Voadam

Legend
House rules addendum

I've been thinking I want to add a few house rules that will impact the game for higher level characters. I wanted to discuss it and see if there are any objections because I didn't anounce these in the original posting of the house rules for the game.

Skilled: Feats every level instead of every three. I think feats are fun and add to characters and want PCs to have more.

No Wasted Learning: If you multiclass into a class that grants a bonus feat you already have you instead gain a related feat. For instance a character with Tracking who later becomes a ranger could gain Skill Focus Survival to boost his tracking instead of being out a feat compared to a character that waited to learn tracking. Taking a class that provides abilities you are good at should make you better at those abilities instead of no increased benefit.

First level benefits are for the best of your classes. So the max hp and 4x skillpoints for first level are whatever your best class is. It doesn't matter if you go sorcerer 1 then rogue 1 or rogue 1 then sorcerer 1 both second level characters will look the same mechanically.

Int skill bonuses are retroactive. If somebody increases their int permanently through level advancement they get the extra skill points and can learn a new language. Skill increases must still make sense for the character from a story perspective and can be saved until appropriate opportunities for skill development.

D20Dazza

Explorer
Voadam said:
I've been thinking I want to add a few house rules that will impact the game for higher level characters. I wanted to discuss it and see if there are any objections because I didn't anounce these in the original posting of the house rules for the game.
Cool

Voadam said:
Skilled: Feats every level instead of every three. I think feats are fun and add to characters and want PCs to have more.
What level would this kick in at? Next I hope ;)

Voadam said:
No Wasted Learning: If you multiclass into a class that grants a bonus feat you already have you instead gain a related feat. For instance a character with Tracking who later becomes a ranger could gain Skill Focus Survival to boost his tracking instead of being out a feat compared to a character that waited to learn tracking. Taking a class that provides abilities you are good at should make you better at those abilities instead of no increased benefit.
Sounds like an excellent idea, the other way might be to change the benefit of the existing feat so it is extended, or doubled or DCs are reduced (have to look at it on a case by case basis) or whatever?

Voadam said:
First level benefits are for the best of your classes. So the max hp and 4x skillpoints for first level are whatever your best class is. It doesn't matter if you go sorcerer 1 then rogue 1 or rogue 1 then sorcerer 1 both second level characters will look the same mechanically.
So does this mean that you get 4x skills at first level anytime? So if you're a 4th level fighter and take a level in rogue you would get 4x rogue skills even though you're a 5th level character?

Voadam said:
Int skill bonuses are retroactive. If somebody increases their int permanently through level advancement they get the extra skill points and can learn a new language. Skill increases must still make sense for the character from a story perspective and can be saved until appropriate opportunities for skill development.
Until recently I thought it was like this anyway and have been playing it like this for years.

Voadam

Legend
D20Dazza said:
So does this mean that you get 4x skills at first level anytime? So if you're a 4th level fighter and take a level in rogue you would get 4x rogue skills even though you're a 5th level character?

Almost.

Normally a fighter 1 rogue 1 would get 2x4 + 8 skill points for 16 skill points while a rogue 1 fighter 1 would get 8x4 + 2 skill points for 34 skill points.

Under my house rule the fighter 1 rogue 1 would also have the optimal 34 skill points total though it would go as follows 2x4 + (2 + 6x4).

So when the fighter picks up rogue he quadruples those extra six skill points that rogues have over fighter as a class.

Later if he then picked up a third class it would not quadruple unless it was some wierd class I'm not aware of with more skill points than a rogue.

It's not 1st level in every class, it just makes the order you take classes irrelevant for your total number of hp or skill points.

Looking back to recalculate skill points at higher level and checking the math will be easier as I won't have to remember the order of things as much.

At least that's my theory. :)

The only complication where I have to think about orders is the gestalt issue then.

Voadam

Legend
D20Dazza said:
What level would this kick in at? Next I hope ;)

For the PCs yes this would only change things from your perspective at 2nd level. Feats every level doesn't change anything for 1st level characters so it would be seemless for the party as is.

Voadam

Legend
Looking over a little more of IH and Tome of Magic.

Classes, would have to downgrade BAB and save progressions to normal D&D 3.5 rates: poor moderate, and good for BAB, and poor and good for saves.

Feats, most look neat and the conversion rate seems fine with most mastery feats needing only the first feat and a minimum BAB based on mastery level.

I like cleave being its own base feat.

Dodge I would separate out the dodge token part of the base feat to be their own feat and a prereq for anything requiring the doge tokens.

Binders look fun both mechanically and RPwise. I wish mechancially it was more of a pick something from this list every level as opposed to pick anything from this list every day so different binders would be different but it is OK as is, not as big of an issue as cleric and druid spells with the extra spell sources added in.

Remove ads