TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Col_Pladoh said:
Salut!

My pleasure to have struck a chord with Obmi and Keak.

As "keak" means to to cackle, it is pronounced as a single syllable, keek.

Finally, considering the number of persons that read the Gord novel in which they appear, the number of G# modules sold and re-sold, I do believe somethink like hundredsof thousands have been introduced tio those villians and despised them :eek:

Cheers,
Gary

Well, given the smaller scope of the Living Greyhawk campaign, I was just adding a few more to the mix. I am certain that there are more than that. :)

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Gentlegamer said:
As I've remarked before, I must be the only person who like FTA. It lead to a lot of adventuring possibilities, particularly with Iuz's empire across the north Flanaesses, Rary setting up shop in the Bright Desert with Robilar, and the insanity of the remnants of the Great Kingdom threatening all.

Well I love FTA too, but I must admit I hold a special place in my heart for the GH of the Gord novels. I usually use FTA for my campaigns though.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Col_Pladoh said:
Of course there was never a Rary in the actual Circle of Eight as I created it ;)

I'm sure you've been asked this before, but who was in the original Circle of the Eight? Also, if you don't mind me asking, what was the Co8's original mission? Was it always about neutrality or was there some more deviant goal in mind?

Last edited:

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Col_Pladoh said:
I have read a bit about that. There were a fair number of Nazi sympathizers amongst the British nobility as well. Of course hitler was most charismatic...

And this was also before everyone knew about the Holocaust. It is my understanding that a fair number of soldiers were surprised at what they came across when they made it to Germany's concentration camps.

Last edited:

airwalkrr

Adventurer
haakon1 said:
That said, in my Greyhawk, some stuff has happened since the 1980s material...

Curious... Except for the Against the Giants result, that sounds fairly like a FTA Greyhawk. *prepares to dodge flying furniture* :D

Gray Mouser

First Post
Hey Gary, I was wondering how common extra-planar advantures were/are in your Greyhawk campaign. Besides various demi-planes (such as in Isle of the Ape) did you ever send any PC's to any of the inner or outer planes outlined in the PHB? What about Mordenkainen and crew, did they ever adventure in the Abyss, the Nine Hells, any of the elemental planes, etc?

Gray Mouser

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
airwalkrr said:
Well, given the smaller scope of the Living Greyhawk campaign, I was just adding a few more to the mix. I am certain that there are more than that. :)
That is excellent, as Obmi revels in being reviled by thousands...

:lol:
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
airwalkrr said:
I'm sure you've been asked this before, but who was in the original Circle of the Eight? Also, if you don't mind me asking, what was the Co8's original mission? Was it always about neutrality or was there some more deviant goal in mind?
IIRR after al these years:

Mordenkainen
Bigby
Yrag
Felnorith
Sigby Grigbyson
Zigby
Rigby
Vran & Vin (counted as one)

The purpose of the association was to hold and expand the terrirory that they had, and to keep Neutrality paramount therein. So perhaps expansion fits your criterion above ;)

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Gray Mouser said:
Hey Gary, I was wondering how common extra-planar advantures were/are in your Greyhawk campaign. Besides various demi-planes (such as in Isle of the Ape) did you ever send any PC's to any of the inner or outer planes outlined in the PHB? What about Mordenkainen and crew, did they ever adventure in the Abyss, the Nine Hells, any of the elemental planes, etc?

Gray Mouser
Such adventures were rare indeed in my campaign or those in which I played. Most off-world action took place in strange and distant lands, ofter in other universes. My players went to the Carabas to fight the Dirdir now and then, to Barsoom, etc. but I didn't send them into elemental planes or the nether realms to adventure, as none were sufficiently powerful to survive such journeys. Of course Robilar did get carried into the Abyss by Zugtmoy, and Erac and Ailerach were taken there by Fraz-urb'lu. none of those unfortunates roamed about there though, and eventuaqlly escaped to return to the PMP

Cheers,
Gary

Gray Mouser

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
Such adventures were rare indeed in my campaign or those in which I played. Most off-world action took place in strange and distant lands, ofter in other universes. My players went to the Carabas to fight the Dirdir now and then, to Barsoom, etc. but I didn't send them into elemental planes or the nether realms to adventure, as none were sufficiently powerful to survive such journeys.

:confused:

Not powerful enough? Gads, man. If Mordenkainen, Bigby, etc. weren't strong enough to survive an extra planar trip who is?

Of course Robilar did get carried into the Abyss by Zugtmoy, and Erac and Ailerach were taken there by Fraz-urb'lu. none of those unfortunates roamed about there though, and eventuaqlly escaped to return to the PMP

Cheers,
Gary

Heh, I didn't know Robilar got way laid by Zugtmoy. She's tricky, eh? Did Robilar, Erac and Ailerach encounter any figures of note there (besides Z. and Fraz-urb lu, obviously), or was it mostly lesser demons and other sundries? I sure would like to get the chance to drop some PC's in on Juiblex, myself. Sadly, they're currently getting smacked by some hobgoblins :\

Gray Mouser

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases