TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Nellisir

Hero
Gentlegamer said:
As I've remarked before, I must be the only person who like FTA.

I quite like FTA, but I did't think this is the place to get into it. Rather like walking into an Apple store and extolling the virtues of a PC.

My intent was solely to answer the question asked, not debate its value.

JustaPlayer

First Post
zakon said:
Why was Rary called Rary the Traitor? I remeber reading something that referred to him as that. On a similar note, do you know of anywhere on the 'net or some other place I could get a hold of what went on in those games? From what I've pieced together, it seems like a very...interesting game (Trail of displacer cloak rags and elven tears, Lol)
I can take a stab at this if you would like. Late in Greyhawk way after Gary left the company, Rary who was at the time part of the Circle of Eight. He ended up betraying the circle and killing a number of it's meber who have since then been replaced.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
JustaPlayer said:
I can take a stab at this if you would like. Late in Greyhawk way after Gary left the company, Rary who was at the time part of the Circle of Eight. He ended up betraying the circle and killing a number of it's meber who have since then been replaced.
Of course there was never a Rary in the actual Circle of Eight as I created it ;)

Cheers,
Gary

AZNtrogdor

First Post
Hi Gary! :)

On the episode of Futurama, in which you guest starred, you would constantly role dice to decide what you would do next. My friend thought it was a great idea and for a month last year, he would role dice whenever making a decision (I personally don't know if the dice really were affecting his decision or if they were just for show). I was wondering if you ever role dice to make decisions in real life? :)

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
AZNtrogdor said:
Hi Gary! :)

On the episode of Futurama, in which you guest starred, you would constantly role dice to decide what you would do next. My friend thought it was a great idea and for a month last year, he would role dice whenever making a decision (I personally don't know if the dice really were affecting his decision or if they were just for show). I was wondering if you ever role dice to make decisions in real life? :)
:lol:

No dice rolling, no coin flipping, no cutting of cards or casting runes :eek:

That was just a plot device in the script to underscore the use of random event/encounter tables in the game. As I have noted, David X. Cohen was a DM back in the day.

Cheers,
Gary

Barak

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
Heh...

Fact is I have a good deal of respect for England and its peoples, British history and tradition. Winston Churchill prevented the loss of WWII back in May 1940 by refusing to negotiate with the Nazis as some in the UK wished, the French did in fact.

Cheers,
Gary

As a french-canadian, I do have to quote that. As many english people, if not more, wished to make peace with Hitler as french citizens resisted, under De Gaulle. In fact, Lord
Halifax came very close of being PM of England, in which case he would have most likely made some sort of peace.

Agback

Explorer
AZNtrogdor said:
On the episode of Futurama, in which you guest starred, you would constantly role dice to decide what you would do next. My friend thought it was a great idea

Hmm. Not such a clever idea, perhaps. Read The Dice Man by Luke Rhinehart.

Agback

Explorer
Jack Vance

Gary, I guess that like me you will be saddened by the fact that Jack Vance is ill and no longer writing.

I just wondered what you make of his more recent work. The Lyonesse trilogy, the Cadwal Chronicles, Nightlamp, Lurulu, etc. are very different from the work that went into the inspirtion of D&D, but I like them better than The Dying Earth, Eyes of the Overworld, Cugel's Saga, Rhialto the Marvellous, The Dragon Masters, The Last Castle and so forth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases