TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
MutieMoe said:
Live roleplaying or LARPing is one of the popular forms of roleplaying in Scandinavia at the moment (I don't know about United States), did you foresee the coming of LARPing, and have you taken part in live roleplaying games?
:eek:

I played live-action games of make-believe, each of the pther participants taking a specific role, beginning when I was around five years of age on to around age 11. We called it "Let's Pretend," "Cops & Robbers," or various other names back then. When I was nine years of age we actually played with a game master and props.

As to foreseeing it as a commercial eterprise, I did not, as I assumed most gamers would have had a fill of LARPing as children, and the game form is not one that will generate much revenue for the publisher. All that said, I have nothing against the LARP or those that enjoy doing so. Having fun playing a game is what counts.

There were scores of LARPers coming here to play in Lake Geneva a few years back, and I would watch large groups of them walking about town, playing at night in the park across the street from our house. The slack-jawed locals must have been nervous about young people dressed in Goth clothing, though, for a city ordinance against gatherings of some size occuring after dark in the parks, so there went a good deal of harmless entertainment for many people.

Cheers,
Gary

seskis281

First Post
Chronicles Material

Hey Gary,

I joined this thread about a year ago but got consumed with work directing plays and teaching so it's been awhile... since my wife and I live just a little ways north in Manitowoc we had hoped to come down for the Con several weeks ago but alas medical problems and surgery for her this summer intervened - so we hope there will be another one next year.

I finally had time to procure the LA essentials set and I've also ordered all the C&C materials. I did have a question - in my LA box it had promo page for two books of "The Chronicles of LA," a gazetteer and "Noble Kings and Dark Lands." The Trolllord's web site doesn't list these items under LA - are they out of print or defunct with Hekaforge? I am very interested in the setting so if you know where I can get them I'd greatly appreciate it.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
seskis281 said:
Hey Gary,

I joined this thread about a year ago but got consumed with work directing plays and teaching so it's been awhile... since my wife and I live just a little ways north in Manitowoc we had hoped to come down for the Con several weeks ago but alas medical problems and surgery for her this summer intervened - so we hope there will be another one next year.
Howdy!

The LGGC is already set for June of 2007, Fathers' Day Weekend, and we expect to host a pre-con party here as we did last year and this. The Trolls enjoy this are, putting on a small event, having so much fun, so they are considering having one this fall, an Autumn in Lake Geneva Gaming Convention...hopefully in early October if it happens ;)

I finally had time to procure the LA essentials set and I've also ordered all the C&C materials. I did have a question - in my LA box it had promo page for two books of "The Chronicles of LA," a gazetteer and "Noble Kings and Dark Lands." The Trolllord's web site doesn't list these items under LA - are they out of print or defunct with Hekaforge? I am very interested in the setting so if you know where I can get them I'd greatly appreciate it.
Those are indeed Hekaforge paperbacks, and as far as I know they are still available from Chris Clark of Inner city Game Designs. Chris is currently working on the third book in the five book series covering the Lejendary Earth World Setting. contact him.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
MutieMoe said:
Where did the idea of character advancement (levels and gaining experience etc.) come from?
Its basis was the Chainmail military miniatures rules, "Fantasy Supplement"

In that section of the work Heros required four hits to be killed, superheroes eight. IIRR, there were also two grades of magic-users, a wizard and another sort with fewer spells. (Sorry, but I don't have a copy of the 1971 book to check regarding the latter.)

Cheers,
Gary

John Drake

First Post
Heya Gary
Just curious, when you run LA, D&D or what have you, do you utilize miniatures? I do like them a quite a bit myself, even though sometimes my group can get a little pre-occupied with the strategy element as opposed to doing things based off of what the PC personality might actually do.
If the above is applicable then I have another question: do you paint/still paint minis, and how proficient are you? I find it quite challenging and immensely rewarding, when I have the time to engage in such a time consuming activity. Anyway, just wondering, thanks Gary! :)

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
John Drake said:
Heya Gary
Just curious, when you run LA, D&D or what have you, do you utilize miniatures? I do like them a quite a bit myself, even though sometimes my group can get a little pre-occupied with the strategy element as opposed to doing things based off of what the PC personality might actually do.
If the above is applicable then I have another question: do you paint/still paint minis, and how proficient are you? I find it quite challenging and immensely rewarding, when I have the time to engage in such a time consuming activity. Anyway, just wondering, thanks Gary! :)
Howdy John!

As a matter of habit I seldom use miniature figurines. None of my regualrs bring one to represent their character/Avatar, and while I have plenty of such figurines they could use, I do not have much in the way of creature sorts, so those would have to be dice. That sort of spoils the spectacle.

When we do formal demos, though, we use Dwarven Forge dungeons/caves and miniatures.

Cheers,
Gary

bowbe

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
The Trolls enjoy this are, putting on a small event, having so much fun, so they are considering having one this fall, an Autumn in Lake Geneva Gaming Convention...hopefully in early October if it happens ;)

Ah... good fishing season on the lakes! Makes me miss the yearly jaunts to Kenosha to see my family. Course none of them live there anymore.

Is Alex going to be at Gen Con this year? If so tell him Case said lunch is on him again!

Case

airwalkrr

Adventurer
So Gary (continuing the deities theme), what do you think of campaigns that have the end goal of killing a deity? Hogwash? Super-hero stuff?

(This question is in no way related to the Age of Worms...)

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
bowbe said:
Ah... good fishing season on the lakes! Makes me miss the yearly jaunts to Kenosha to see my family. Course none of them live there anymore.

Is Alex going to be at Gen Con this year? If so tell him Case said lunch is on him again!

Case
Howdy Case,

Lake Geneva was a great fishing lake--German brown trout, northern pike, pickerel, walleye pike, large- and small-mouth bass, white bass (fun to catch, bad eating), crappie, bluegill, and yellow perch. Cisco through the ice. The motor boat and jet ski traffic is now so bad in summer that fishing is not so good. One must go in early spring and fall.

Alex is planning on making it to genCon, and I have passed along your message :cool:

Cheers,
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases