TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Rakin said:
Hi Gary (or anyone else),
I just recently purchased what I needed to play the C&C RPG game and let me tell you I'm somewhat excited to dive into it for it seems far better than that other table top game that will go unmentioned, that I currently play. I just have one question for all you gods among tabletop RPG's, how do you handle spells that are CT 1 (1 round to cast). PLaces in the book it mentions interupting these spells with damage and the such but the books make it sound like the spell should be announced and go off at the same time (the init. roll of the caster) Ive left a post on the Troll forums asking a few opinions and at best I got back a few ways to handle this. I have an idea on what I want to do, but I wanted to know what the best of the best is going to do. Thanks in advance. :D
Howdy!

I personally handle spell-casting in C&C the same way I did in OAD&D.

How about setting forth the mechanics you wish to use?

Happy New Year,
Gary

Rakin

First Post
Sure Gary,
Just to let you know I fell in love with AD&D spellcasting and I prefer that over any other system I've seen. The plan I'm planning on using is as close to AD&D as I could get without any major conversions (unless Im wrong, which wouldn't be the first time).

I plan on having the spell caster announce thier spell on thier turn, since most spells in C&C are CT1 I plan on having the spell "go off" either the same init that the spell was announced on the next round or on the spellcaster's rolled init on the next round. (I feel I can do this guilt free since the casting time is 1 round and 5 on this round to 5 on the next is in my logic one round).

My reasoning behind this is because I feel if you're going to give casters all this power to change reality, I feel they should have to earn it with smarts and planning in advance. I also enjoy the idea of the spell going off on thier init roll of the next round to highten suspense and fear of losing the spell, that would make that init roll very important and I don't think a tabletop RPG game is successful unless people are holding thier breath during a few dice rolls. Then of course I would allow the spellcaster to have a full turn on the round a spell went off.

The only other way I would want to handle this is to go and buy an AD&D PHB and use the casting times from there, which is VERY tempting to me. :D

The way I've been offered but don't like much, in theory anyway, is have evreyone announce that they are casting before the round is even started and if the spellcaster recieves dmg before thier init they don't get to act, I feel that takes to much from the element of suprise and as a DM er CK :p , in order to have a little fun myslef I want to be suprised by the actions of my players. Also a lot can happen between the beginning of a round aand a mages turn and if they rolled badly, I don't like the idea of a spellcaster being stuck with "I'm casting a spell" if something dramatic happens, especailly on the first round of the battle.

Last edited:

Tuzenbach

First Post
Gary Gygax Q&A: Part X

Sure, there've been tons of threads started in the last 5 months that we'll never see again, but I think I can arrive at a general concensus that the saddest casuality of the site crash was the "Gary Gygax: Part X" thread. :(

Who's with me?

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
well, the new one wasn't around very long, but the previous one lost a fair number of posts. regardless, time to start over...

Tuzenbach

First Post
Kryndal Levik said:
Well, you can get at least part of it through Google...

http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache...Gary+Gygax"+"Part+X"&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=1

I didn't check (not familiar with the content of the thread), but I'm pretty sure that all pages will show up...
Really? That's good news!

I was actually wondering if it'd be possible to attempt a reconstruction of the thread. Many many times, a thread response will be copied to my hotmail inbox. Sadly, I delete most of them. However, I'll bet there are those of us who do not delete ANY of them!

Worth a try?

Tuzenbach

First Post
Tuzenbach said:
I was actually wondering if it'd be possible to attempt a reconstruction of the thread. Many many times, a thread response will be copied to my hotmail inbox. Sadly, I delete most of them. However, I'll bet there are those of us who do not delete ANY of them!

:D See, THIS is what I'm talkin' about:

Col_Pladoh has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled -
General - Gary Gygax Q&A, Part IX - in the General RPG Discussion forum of EN
World - Morrus' D&D / d20 News & Reviews Site.

This thread is located at:
http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=125997&goto=newpost

Here is the message that has just been posted:
Howdy!

Actually, the CZY work is quite adaptable to the AD&D game, so of course
Hackmaster should serve.

I am coordinating some 20 freelance writers in their efforts to detail the
town's 19 sectors as well as five suburban areas. Three town districts are
completed now, one accepted for publication and two in process of content
editing. When the whole shebang is completed the place should be ideal for urban
adventuring and PC enterprises in town, in its outskirts, as well as throughout
the whole of the Eastmark.

Cheers,
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads