TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Infiniti2000

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
:(

All the material on Google is sans text...lost in the crash I assume.
Try to "select" the text. I noticed in some other threads that I was interested in, the text was black for some reason (in the cache). I could select the text (for the opposite contrast), to read it. Or, copy/paste into an unformatted editor.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Let's not completely give up on it yet. There is some background discussion of a newer copy of the d-base, so we may yet have most of the discussion. I'd hold off on Cataclysmic revelations until the database situation is completely 100% settled, first. :)

Have faith, hope, patience, and a couple of prayers handy, and we'll let you know if there's more to be said.

grodog

Hero
Henry said:
Let's not completely give up on it yet. There is some background discussion of a newer copy of the d-base, so we may yet have most of the discussion. I'd hold off on Cataclysmic revelations until the database situation is completely 100% settled, first. :)

Have faith, hope, patience, and a couple of prayers handy, and we'll let you know if there's more to be said.

Ah, that's good to hear Henry: I wasn't aware that everything hadn't been confirmed at 100% lost. Have you guys looked at contacting the ezboards technical team to see about how they were able to try to recover lost content in their sem-recent-ish big crash? IIRC, they hit google cache, as well as the internet archive to try to recreate/recover as much content as possible.

Kryndal Levik

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
:(

All the material on Google is sans text...lost in the crash I assume.

Haakon1 was the last poster that I know of, but that too is lost.

Such is life on the internet :\

Cheers,
Gary

Actually, it's not- click on "Cached" and you get the full post. I tried it with several, and it worked like a charm.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Kryndal Levik said:
Actually, it's not- click on "Cached" and you get the full post. I tried it with several, and it worked like a charm.
Oh good!

I didn't do more than glance at the blank spaces and assumed the worst :confused:

Now all the text appears normally...and I notice that there I am at 3233 posts, so a bunch must have been lost, temprrarily perhaps, from here.

Cheers,
Gary

Last edited:

Tuzenbach

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
Such is life on the internet :\

Cheers,
Gary

Gary,

In that you possess astute, sage-like abilities, this question struck me the other day as being highly "askable": When you were forumulating D&D in the early 70's, did the concept of "The Internet" ever become something you foresaw? :eek:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Tuzenbach said:
Gary,

In that you possess astute, sage-like abilities, this question struck me the other day as being highly "askable": When you were forumulating D&D in the early 70's, did the concept of "The Internet" ever become something you foresaw? :eek:
Heh...

Would I were so astute :\

About the best I can claim is to have recognized in 1978 that computer games were going to be important in the future, and urge my fellows at TSR to get the company into the field immediately. That was done, but not logically, and soon TSR was out of the field even as computer fantasy games were becoming really popular.

Cheers,
Gary

Geoffrey

First Post
Gary, what are your views on giving gaming stats to deities, and to avatars/player characters killing deities? Have your views on god stats and god killing changed over the last 30 years? I understand that you are hard at work on Lejendary Pantheons for Lejendary Adventure. How will the deities be presented in that work? (And when can I buy a copy? :) )

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Gary, I hope you're doing well. I know this question has been put to you before, but for the life of me I can't recall your answer (someday I hope someone sifts through all the various "Ask Gary" threads here and elsewhere and collates your answers so you don't have to keep answering the same things over and over). So pardon this re-asking: what was the inspiration for the D&D gorgon? The gorgon of Greek myth is what ended up being the medusa in D&D. Was there a mythological critter like the bull-like, petrification-breathing monster in the 1e Monster Manual?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases