Gary Gygax Q&A: Part X - Page 15

Closed Thread
Page 15 of 49 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast
    What? Me Worry?
    Defender (Lvl 8)

The Cleveland, OH area, but missing San Diego, CA

Ignore ColonelHardisson
    Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    As "keak" means to to cackle, it is pronounced as a single syllable, keek.
    I'll take this occasion to once again flog a book you recommended yourself, Gary - Poplollies and Bellibones. I consider it now to be the "Rosetta Stone" of Gygaxian writing. Words like "keak," "fonkin," and "hoddypeak" are defined and used in sentences in this nice little book. I've noticed Barnes & Noble selling it in their discount sections lately, so anyone who doesn't have it yet may still have the chance to avail themselves of it.
    "Illegitimis non carborundum." - General Joseph Stilwell

Father of the Game
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by John Drake
    Ah, sorry Gary and Nathan P. Mahney, I was just joking around! I thought the goofy little face at the end of my statement cleared that up :\ . No harm or offense was intended, I apologise profusely to any who were directly or indirectly hurt by my post.

And my before signing off didn't tip my hand, show that I was just being silly?

Cheers,
    Gary

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by ColonelHardisson
    I'll take this occasion to once again flog a book you recommended yourself, Gary - Poplollies and Bellibones. I consider it now to be the "Rosetta Stone" of Gygaxian writing. Words like "keak," "fonkin," and "hoddypeak" are defined and used in sentences in this nice little book. I've noticed Barnes & Noble selling it in their discount sections lately, so anyone who doesn't have it yet may still have the chance to avail themselves of it.
    Right-O Colonel!

It is a fine little book filled with many interesting lost words

Cheers,
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh

And my before signing off didn't tip my hand, show that I was just being silly?

Cheers,
    Gary
    LoL, I didn't notice it til it was too late ! Ah well, as long as we're all clear!

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by John Drake
    LoL, I didn't notice it til it was too late ! Ah well, as long as we're all clear!
    Sure thing!

About the only part of gaming that I take seriously is the fun to be had

Cheers,
    Gary

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    this in from Len Lakofka by an email message to me:

"Weejas is phonetically like the Parker Brother game oijas or however you spell it. It has nothing to do with any existing language."

there you have it.

Cheers,
    Gary

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

Ignore Zudrak
    Quote Originally Posted by ColonelHardisson
    Indeed! I purchased this book myself recently (January or February) and it is a great book. Anyone saying otherwise should be hit with a flatchet or fleshspades (if wielded by a monk!).
    "Yes, but apart from that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play?"

Psalm 73:26

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books." -- E. Gary Gygax

From the 1st edition PHB, p.8:
    "Rules not understood should have appropriate questions directed to the publisher; disputes with the Dungeon Master are another matter entirely. THE REFEREE IS THE FINAL ARBITER OF ALL AFFAIRS OF HIS OR HER CAMPAIGN."

Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

Ignore Gentlegamer
    Quote Originally Posted by haakon1
    None of which is THAT terrible, but in general FTA is a rotten as a week old fish in August. And that's about the kindest thing you'll ever hear me say about it.

Rant mode, activated . . .

Basically, Gary and crew wrote a great setting based on their personal campaign in Lake Geneva, WI . . . suits kicked out Gary and took over TSR, and produced said setting, which was based on poor-mans Risk-type game set on the Greyhawk map called "Greyhawk Wars". "Wars" took pretty much the names of countries and alignments, but not a decent read through of the original WOG material . . .

For some reason, a play through of the "Wars" game was used as the basis for the FTA setting, which is all about a war between good and evil, and evil forces romping around smiting countries in such a way that some pretty cool parts of the map are officially "gone" and replaced by vague no-mans-lands which are useless for adventuring (nothing to save, and nobody can really go there).

It was k-rad kewl to mess up Gary's setting . . . the best illustration of this is the cover illustrations of the respective editions.

WOG: Knights riding out from a castle. Implying PC's on a noble quest, related to a medieval land of some type.

FTA: Undead riding skeleton horses, riding away from a burning castle. Kewl! PC's no longer matter. Certainly, the posssibility of the PCs having won the big Against the Giants supermodule was never ever considered -- the setting just says the PC's must have failed, because the giants conquered everything they wanted.

Rant mode, deactivated . . .

The new management is better, but unfortuntely, they did not burn the FTAness from Greyhawk. The stink lingers in parts of the setting still.
    As I've remarked before, I must be the only person who like FTA. It lead to a lot of adventuring possibilities, particularly with Iuz's empire across the north Flanaesses, Rary setting up shop in the Bright Desert with Robilar, and the insanity of the remnants of the Great Kingdom threatening all.

Using material drawn from FTA, I had King Belvor of Furyondy and the Archcleric of Veluna declare a crusade against Iuz the Evil. The Crusade Campaign included political manueverings to persuade Keoland and Nyrond to join the war, as well as a quest for the Crook of Rao.
    Words of wisdom from Gary Gygax:

From my perspective wanting less in the way of rules constraints comes from being a veteran Game Master who feels confident that more good material comes from imagination and player interaction with the environment than from textbook rules material.
    more words of wisdom:

• Rashness and foolhardiness are harbingers of death, as is timidity, in such adventure setting.
    • Those that complain about real challenges might be better off playing Candyland with their little sister
    • First and foremost, munchkinism arose as a contemporary of the OD&D game. Nothing in the rules of that or any other version of the game was needed to make it flourish.
    • There is no relationship between 3E and original D&D, or OAD&D for that matter. Different games, style, and spirit.
    • [E]xperience has taught me that everyone has their own gaming preferences, and it is not a matter of "good" or "bad" in all, save in light of one's own preferences.

Thaumaturgist (Lvl 9)

Blog Entries

Ignore Nellisir
    Quote Originally Posted by Gentlegamer
    As I've remarked before, I must be the only person who like FTA.
    I quite like FTA, but I did't think this is the place to get into it. Rather like walking into an Apple store and extolling the virtues of a PC.

My intent was solely to answer the question asked, not debate its value.
    Secrets of the Shadowend - Notes, scribblings, writings, and memorandum on the Shadowend Campaign Setting.

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh

It seems to me that smeone misspelled "Asses"...put an h in it

Gary

• Closed Thread
    Page 15 of 49 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast