Gary Gygax Q&A: Part X - Page 18

Closed Thread
Page 18 of 49 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast
    Guide (Lvl 11)

Blog Entries

Ignore airwalkrr
    Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    Of course there was never a Rary in the actual Circle of Eight as I created it
    I'm sure you've been asked this before, but who was in the original Circle of the Eight? Also, if you don't mind me asking, what was the Co8's original mission? Was it always about neutrality or was there some more deviant goal in mind?
    Last edited by airwalkrr; Friday, 2nd June, 2006 at 09:49 AM.

Guide (Lvl 11)

Blog Entries

Ignore airwalkrr
    I have read a bit about that. There were a fair number of Nazi sympathizers amongst the British nobility as well. Of course hitler was most charismatic...
    And this was also before everyone knew about the Holocaust. It is my understanding that a fair number of soldiers were surprised at what they came across when they made it to Germany's concentration camps.
    Last edited by airwalkrr; Friday, 2nd June, 2006 at 09:49 AM.

Guide (Lvl 11)

Blog Entries

Ignore airwalkrr
    Quote Originally Posted by haakon1
    That said, in my Greyhawk, some stuff has happened since the 1980s material...
    Curious... Except for the Against the Giants result, that sounds fairly like a FTA Greyhawk. *prepares to dodge flying furniture*

Hey Gary, I was wondering how common extra-planar advantures were/are in your Greyhawk campaign. Besides various demi-planes (such as in Isle of the Ape) did you ever send any PC's to any of the inner or outer planes outlined in the PHB? What about Mordenkainen and crew, did they ever adventure in the Abyss, the Nine Hells, any of the elemental planes, etc?

Gray Mouser
    "Still, it appears that someone doesn't like us," Fafhrd opined.

"Was that ever news?" the Gray Mouser retorted.

Father of the Game
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by airwalkrr
    Well, given the smaller scope of the Living Greyhawk campaign, I was just adding a few more to the mix. I am certain that there are more than that.
    That is excellent, as Obmi revels in being reviled by thousands...

Gary

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by airwalkrr
    I'm sure you've been asked this before, but who was in the original Circle of the Eight? Also, if you don't mind me asking, what was the Co8's original mission? Was it always about neutrality or was there some more deviant goal in mind?
    IIRR after al these years:

Mordenkainen
    Bigby
    Yrag
    Felnorith
    Sigby Grigbyson
    Zigby
    Rigby
    Vran & Vin (counted as one)

The purpose of the association was to hold and expand the terrirory that they had, and to keep Neutrality paramount therein. So perhaps expansion fits your criterion above

Cheers,
    Gary

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Mouser
    Hey Gary, I was wondering how common extra-planar advantures were/are in your Greyhawk campaign. Besides various demi-planes (such as in Isle of the Ape) did you ever send any PC's to any of the inner or outer planes outlined in the PHB? What about Mordenkainen and crew, did they ever adventure in the Abyss, the Nine Hells, any of the elemental planes, etc?

Gray Mouser
    Such adventures were rare indeed in my campaign or those in which I played. Most off-world action took place in strange and distant lands, ofter in other universes. My players went to the Carabas to fight the Dirdir now and then, to Barsoom, etc. but I didn't send them into elemental planes or the nether realms to adventure, as none were sufficiently powerful to survive such journeys. Of course Robilar did get carried into the Abyss by Zugtmoy, and Erac and Ailerach were taken there by Fraz-urb'lu. none of those unfortunates roamed about there though, and eventuaqlly escaped to return to the PMP

Cheers,
    Gary

Such adventures were rare indeed in my campaign or those in which I played. Most off-world action took place in strange and distant lands, ofter in other universes. My players went to the Carabas to fight the Dirdir now and then, to Barsoom, etc. but I didn't send them into elemental planes or the nether realms to adventure, as none were sufficiently powerful to survive such journeys.

Not powerful enough? Gads, man. If Mordenkainen, Bigby, etc. weren't strong enough to survive an extra planar trip who is?

Of course Robilar did get carried into the Abyss by Zugtmoy, and Erac and Ailerach were taken there by Fraz-urb'lu. none of those unfortunates roamed about there though, and eventuaqlly escaped to return to the PMP

Cheers,
    Gary
    Heh, I didn't know Robilar got way laid by Zugtmoy. She's tricky, eh? Did Robilar, Erac and Ailerach encounter any figures of note there (besides Z. and Fraz-urb lu, obviously), or was it mostly lesser demons and other sundries? I sure would like to get the chance to drop some PC's in on Juiblex, myself. Sadly, they're currently getting smacked by some hobgoblins :\

Gray Mouser

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Mouser

Not powerful enough? Gads, man. If Mordenkainen, Bigby, etc. weren't strong enough to survive an extra planar trip who is?
    Mordie is nervous aboard the Starship Warden, and even with his most powerful associates would not feel confident of adveturing in the Hells or the Abyss. Maybe if he was a demi-god and his companions were all of at least quasi-deity status...

Heh, I didn't know Robilar got way laid by Zugtmoy. She's tricky, eh? Did Robilar, Erac and Ailerach encounter any figures of note there (besides Z. and Fraz-urb lu, obviously), or was it mostly lesser demons and other sundries? I sure would like to get the chance to drop some PC's in on Juiblex, myself. Sadly, they're currently getting smacked by some hobgoblins :\

Gray Mouser
    The Demoness Queen of Fungi was not so clever, robilar was brash. He tossed a pillar through the door sealing Zuggtmoy into the chamber in the ToEE. She got a look at the handsome adventurer, noted his evil aura, and as a reward for freeing her carried him off to the Abyss as her body servant. I did no go into details there, but eventually Robilar convinced her of the imcompatability of a lawful evil servant in her realm, so she sent his back to the PMP.

Erac and Aylerach (I never can remember how Mark Ratner spelled that PC's name) accidentally loosed the demon from imprisonment in the dungeons of Greyhawk Castle. He was so delighted at having duped them into doing so that he took them with him when he went home. Again, I did not have detailed adventures there--as both players were hardly speaking to Rob and me after the game session. Eventually the incompatability of LKawful Good in the Abyss brought the demon prince to a decision point: slat the pair or boot them out. The dice roll called for the latter.

Cheers,
    Gary

Hey, Gary, thanks for the additional info about your players "escapades" in the Abyss. If anything was learned I would assume it was not to be too helpful to demons (even unintentionally!) as their idea of a "reward" doesn't seem to be so great. Especially when dealing with the Demon Queen of Fungi, I suspect

Gray Mouser

• Closed Thread
    Page 18 of 49 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast