Gary Gygax Q&A: Part X - Page 2





Closed Thread
Page 2 of 49 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 485
  1. #11
    Registered User
    Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

    Infiniti2000's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    10,483
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Ignore Infiniti2000
    Henry, your .sig got reset to those two excellent quotes.
    Hva' fanden? Fr vi en orkan?

 

  • #12
    Registered User
    Enchanter (Lvl 12)



    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Wichita, KS, USA
    Posts
    3,506
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Ignore grodog
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry
    Let's not completely give up on it yet. There is some background discussion of a newer copy of the d-base, so we may yet have most of the discussion. I'd hold off on Cataclysmic revelations until the database situation is completely 100% settled, first.

    Have faith, hope, patience, and a couple of prayers handy, and we'll let you know if there's more to be said.
    Ah, that's good to hear Henry: I wasn't aware that everything hadn't been confirmed at 100% lost. Have you guys looked at contacting the ezboards technical team to see about how they were able to try to recover lost content in their sem-recent-ish big crash? IIRC, they hit google cache, as well as the internet archive to try to recreate/recover as much content as possible.

  • #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh


    All the material on Google is sans text...lost in the crash I assume.

    Haakon1 was the last poster that I know of, but that too is lost.

    Such is life on the internet :\

    Cheers,
    Gary
    Actually, it's not- click on "Cached" and you get the full post. I tried it with several, and it worked like a charm.

  • #14
    Father of the Game
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

    Col_Pladoh's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Lake Geneva, WI
    Posts
    4,756
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Kryndal Levik
    Actually, it's not- click on "Cached" and you get the full post. I tried it with several, and it worked like a charm.
    Oh good!

    I didn't do more than glance at the blank spaces and assumed the worst

    Now all the text appears normally...and I notice that there I am at 3233 posts, so a bunch must have been lost, temprrarily perhaps, from here.

    Cheers,
    Gary
    Last edited by Col_Pladoh; Wednesday, 10th May, 2006 at 10:40 PM.

  • #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh


    Such is life on the internet :\

    Cheers,
    Gary

    Gary,

    In that you possess astute, sage-like abilities, this question struck me the other day as being highly "askable": When you were forumulating D&D in the early 70's, did the concept of "The Internet" ever become something you foresaw?

  • #16
    Father of the Game
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

    Col_Pladoh's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Lake Geneva, WI
    Posts
    4,756
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuzenbach
    Gary,

    In that you possess astute, sage-like abilities, this question struck me the other day as being highly "askable": When you were forumulating D&D in the early 70's, did the concept of "The Internet" ever become something you foresaw?
    Heh...

    Would I were so astute :\

    About the best I can claim is to have recognized in 1978 that computer games were going to be important in the future, and urge my fellows at TSR to get the company into the field immediately. That was done, but not logically, and soon TSR was out of the field even as computer fantasy games were becoming really popular.

    Cheers,
    Gary

  • #17
    Gary, what are your views on giving gaming stats to deities, and to avatars/player characters killing deities? Have your views on god stats and god killing changed over the last 30 years? I understand that you are hard at work on Lejendary Pantheons for Lejendary Adventure. How will the deities be presented in that work? (And when can I buy a copy? )

  • #18
    What? Me Worry?
    Defender (Lvl 8)

    ColonelHardisson's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    The Cleveland, OH area, but missing San Diego, CA
    Posts
    4,973
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Ignore ColonelHardisson
    Gary, I hope you're doing well. I know this question has been put to you before, but for the life of me I can't recall your answer (someday I hope someone sifts through all the various "Ask Gary" threads here and elsewhere and collates your answers so you don't have to keep answering the same things over and over). So pardon this re-asking: what was the inspiration for the D&D gorgon? The gorgon of Greek myth is what ended up being the medusa in D&D. Was there a mythological critter like the bull-like, petrification-breathing monster in the 1e Monster Manual?
    "Illegitimis non carborundum." - General Joseph Stilwell

  • #19
    Father of the Game
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

    Col_Pladoh's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Lake Geneva, WI
    Posts
    4,756
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoffrey
    Gary, what are your views on giving gaming stats to deities, and to avatars/player characters killing deities? Have your views on god stats and god killing changed over the last 30 years? I understand that you are hard at work on Lejendary Pantheons for Lejendary Adventure. How will the deities be presented in that work? (And when can I buy a copy? )
    Deitial types are placed into 15 ranks in my LE world pantheons. those that are in the highest ranks are not really deities but quasi ones such as minor demons, so indeed a powerful character could kill one of 15th rank or even of 14th or 13th, after that the power of deities becomes much greater. At the minor deity level it is about impossible for any mortal to harm them, and above that, in the major and higher ranks, the most potent human is akin to a mosquito.

    Messing with even a minor deity is most likely to end up very badly for a PC...

    I give suggested stat spreads for all 15 ranks of deities, including Health (hit points) and protection as well as special powers likely. It is up to the GM to manage the rest.

    Cheers,
    Gary

  • #20
    Father of the Game
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

    Col_Pladoh's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Lake Geneva, WI
    Posts
    4,756
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by ColonelHardisson
    Gary, I hope you're doing well. I know this question has been put to you before, but for the life of me I can't recall your answer (someday I hope someone sifts through all the various "Ask Gary" threads here and elsewhere and collates your answers so you don't have to keep answering the same things over and over). So pardon this re-asking: what was the inspiration for the D&D gorgon? The gorgon of Greek myth is what ended up being the medusa in D&D. Was there a mythological critter like the bull-like, petrification-breathing monster in the 1e Monster Manual?
    Hi Colonel!

    Not a problem at all. Indeed, that question has been put to me before, but I am not sure if that was here on this website. Anyway...

    The scale-mailed bull model of a gorgon came directly from a copy of a medieval bestiary, the title of which I do not recall, but it was and probably still is in the local (Lake Geneva) public library. I was happy to use that model, for it added another fearsome monster to the roster for DM use

    Cheers,
    Gary

  • Closed Thread
    Page 2 of 49 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. Gary Gygax Q&A: Part XII
      By Col_Pladoh in forum Archive-threads
      Replies: 904
      Last Post: Tuesday, 10th April, 2007, 09:00 PM
    2. Gary Gygax Q&A: part VII
      By grodog in forum Archive-threads
      Replies: 490
      Last Post: Sunday, 20th February, 2005, 04:02 PM
    3. Gary Gygax Q&A, Part V
      By grodog in forum Archive-threads
      Replies: 213
      Last Post: Thursday, 4th March, 2004, 01:24 PM
    4. Gary Gygax Q&A, Part IV
      By Steverooo in forum Archive-threads
      Replies: 266
      Last Post: Wednesday, 10th December, 2003, 06:35 PM
    5. Q&A with Gary Gygax - Part I
      By thatdarncat in forum Archive-threads
      Replies: 715
      Last Post: Tuesday, 28th January, 2003, 02:19 PM

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •