Gary Gygax Q&A: Part X - Page 23

Closed Thread
Page 23 of 49 FirstFirst ... 131415161718192021222324252627282930313233 ... LastLast
    Father of the Game
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce Traveler
    No problem, Gary. When the CRPG article comes out this summer I'll let you know in case you need something to help with any fits of insomnia.
    No way!

I am a game geek, so that sort of thing actually interests me

Cheers,
    Gary

Guide (Lvl 11)

Ignore haakon1
    Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    I am a game geek
    Hard to believe.

Sorry, it was just too easy.

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by haakon1
    Hard to believe.

Sorry, it was just too easy.
    Nah!

It's easy to believe when you remember that I was named the number 1 nerd of all time, beating out all of Japan--came in 8th

Cheers,
    Gary

Guide (Lvl 11)

Ignore haakon1
    Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    It's easy to believe when you remember that I was named the number 1 nerd of all time
    Who decided that? I mean, you and Al Gore both got into "Anthology of Interest" on Futurama, but you have one more movie (counting both D&D movies as yours), but then again Al invented the internet . . . you only invented most of the games on computers. (Sort of like how "The Honeymooners" invented most comedy on TV.)

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by haakon1
    Who decided that? I mean, you and Al Gore both got into "Anthology of Interest" on Futurama, but you have one more movie (counting both D&D movies as yours), but then again Al invented the internet . . . you only invented most of the games on computers. (Sort of like how "The Honeymooners" invented most comedy on TV.)
    Heh...

Evidentally you missed Sync Magazine, where in the December/January 2004/05 issue ran an article titled "The 50 biggest Nerds of All TIme." Bill Gates was mentioned in 51st place, while I was named the #1 Nerd of All Time, the Kinf of Nerds!

Cheers,
    Gary
    Last edited by Col_Pladoh; Tuesday, 6th June, 2006 at 04:30 PM.

Novice (Lvl 1)

Ignore Palaner
    Probably been asked before...have you ever played a pen-and-paper roleplaying game online over a chat client?

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Palaner
    Probably been asked before...have you ever played a pen-and-paper roleplaying game online over a chat client?
    Actually I don't recall that question ever being asked before

While I have known of such games for years, and the chap that runs Makray's Keep used to play in my campaign, I have not played online. The fact is that I was stretching it to have one night a week set aside for my face-to-face game. Now I do that and often play boardgames at my son Ernie's plave on Monday afternoons, so semi-retirement is good

Cheers,
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce Traveler
    Wizardry I also came out in 1981, and introduced the party concept into the CRPG, and was probably most like DnD. It sold very well and was a simple dungeon crawler, which appealed to those normally outside the fan base.
    I started playing Wizardry shortly after I started playing D&D (the former being in probably early 1982 while the later was in 1981). I loved that game and it was an adequate substitute when a D&D game was unavailable. I should really check out ebay for a copy sometime

Gray Mouser
    "Still, it appears that someone doesn't like us," Fafhrd opined.

"Was that ever news?" the Gray Mouser retorted.

Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

Ignore JohnRTroy
    Hi Gary,

I thought of a question for you and figured it was so good enough to ask you publically.

With the D&D cartoon show now playing on Toon Disney on the weekends, I was thinking of all of TSR's efforts in the early 80's to expand the D&D brand. I remember the LJN action figures, a coloring book (which I think was credited to you), and TSR's Endless Quest and HeartQuest books.

First of all, how many of these efforts were your idea, and overall did you see these as a big success or not? Is this something you would recommend any large gaming company attempt to do for their own brands? IMO, I liked the outreach to the younger audiences, and I think some of this is lacking in the Wizards/Hasbro market today.

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnRTroy
    Hi Gary,

I thought of a question for you and figured it was so good enough to ask you publically.

With the D&D cartoon show now playing on Toon Disney on the weekends, I was thinking of all of TSR's efforts in the early 80's to expand the D&D brand. I remember the LJN action figures, a coloring book (which I think was credited to you), and TSR's Endless Quest and HeartQuest books.

First of all, how many of these efforts were your idea, and overall did you see these as a big success or not? Is this something you would recommend any large gaming company attempt to do for their own brands? IMO, I liked the outreach to the younger audiences, and I think some of this is lacking in the Wizards/Hasbro market today.
    Hi JRT!

To be brief, all of those, along with pajamas, sheets, candy, etc. were licensing deals made to bring in added revenue even as the products so licensed helped to increase brand awareness. Licensing is something practised by most companies with a viable trade mark/brand name to offer. Film producers license many books and some theatrical plays to use a sthe basis for motion pictures. Roleplaying game companies license novels for use in their products.

None of this is something I thought of, but something that has been ongoing for many years.

Wise use of licensing opportunities is beneficial. One must be careful not to over-expose the licensed property.

Cheers,
    Gary

• Closed Thread
    Page 23 of 49 FirstFirst ... 131415161718192021222324252627282930313233 ... LastLast