Gary Gygax Q&A: Part X - Page 24

What's on your mind?

Closed Thread
Page 24 of 49 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122232425262728293031323334 ... LastLast
    Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

Ignore JohnRTroy
    My communities:

Heh, I kinda knew that.

There was a D&D Candy Bar?!

To make it an easy/quick answer, from the time you were involved in TSR (until 1986 or so), what non-game licensed product from D&D are you most proud of, and what product are you least proud of?

Father of the Game
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnRTroy
    Heh, I kinda knew that.
    So you asked the question to test me., eh?

There was a D&D Candy Bar?!
    There was candy with the D&D name on it made in Spain. I don't recall what sort it was, but I think it was something similar to Gummi Bears.

To make it an easy/quick answer, from the time you were involved in TSR (until 1986 or so), what non-game licensed product from D&D are you most proud of, and what product are you least proud of?
    As there is nothing in to be particularly proud about, save by association, that is a difficult question. About the best I can respond is that I liked the "Big Wheel" with a dragon had on it, as did son ALex The bndy toys that TSR had made were dangerous for kids because of the interior wire. Otherwise the only gauge for measurement of a licensed product is its sales success, possibly the number of new consumers for the underlying game generated by that success.

Cheers,
    Gary

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

Ignore Delta

Historical Era of AD&D

Gary, I'm wondering what real-life era you think most closely corresponds to the AD&D worldview (esp., technology-wise).

For example, in the 1E DMG you mention that full plate armor is "a late development and is not considered (c. 1500)", although you did include it in Unearthed Arcana.

In the Waterborne Adventures section, you wrote that "Cogs, carracks, and caravels of the 13th and 14th centuries are considered to be excellent merchant ships". However, my reading of history is that carracks & caravels weren't invented until the mid-1400's, i.e., the 15th century.

I guess I'm most interested in the ships aspect. In your AD&D campaign, were carracks, caravels & naos (a) the majority of sailing ships (as in 1500's), (b) an elite minority (as in 1400's), or (c) only an exotic hypothetical prospect (as in 1300's or earlier)?

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Delta
    Gary, I'm wondering what real-life era you think most closely corresponds to the AD&D worldview (esp., technology-wise).

For example, in the 1E DMG you mention that full plate armor is "a late development and is not considered (c. 1500)", although you did include it in Unearthed Arcana.

In the Waterborne Adventures section, you wrote that "Cogs, carracks, and caravels of the 13th and 14th centuries are considered to be excellent merchant ships". However, my reading of history is that carracks & caravels weren't invented until the mid-1400's, i.e., the 15th century.

I guess I'm most interested in the ships aspect. In your AD&D campaign, were carracks, caravels & naos (a) the majority of sailing ships (as in 1500's), (b) an elite minority (as in 1400's), or (c) only an exotic hypothetical prospect (as in 1300's or earlier)?
    The short answer to all that is: You are the DM, suit technology in the campaign to what you plan to do therein.

Full plate armor was a development of the 15th century, and when I was writing the pieces that comprised the bulk of the UA book my concept of developing technology in a fantasy milieu had altered. It then seemed illogical to to me to have the level of advancement stuck in the early middle ages. Thus I had fragatas and sambuks and prahus and galleasses and galleons on the seas as well as junks, cogs, caravels, and carracks.

Cheers,
    Gary
    Last edited by Col_Pladoh; Wednesday, 7th June, 2006 at 04:53 PM.

Novice (Lvl 1)

Ignore Palaner
    I was at work yesterday, bored as a two-by-four. It occurred to me that a simple plot generator might help with new DMs who don't have a clue what they're doing. Given a table of highly generic plot elements, do you think this would be useful?

BTW, check your email.

Gallant (Lvl 3)

Midwest, USA, Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Local Group, The Mind of God.

Ignore Steverooo

Medieval Technology

So with the 1400s-or-so tech., why no compasses in D&D?

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Palaner
    I was at work yesterday, bored as a two-by-four. It occurred to me that a simple plot generator might help with new DMs who don't have a clue what they're doing. Given a table of highly generic plot elements, do you think this would be useful?

BTW, check your email.
    There is a volume titled Insidae, by Dan Cross, in the "Gygaxian Fantasy Worlds" reference book series that covers plotting stories and adventures in depth.

I go through about 150 incoming email messages each day, deleting the vast majority as they are SPAM

Cheers,
    Gary

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Steverooo
    So with the 1400s-or-so tech., why no compasses in D&D?
    What is an Arrow of Direction if not a compass?

With so many armored folks about a normal one is likely to function properly only on a ship

As the DM of your campaign world setting you can put as many in as you like, of course.

Cheers,
    Gary

Novice (Lvl 1)

Ignore Palaner
    Only 150 spam messages? I must have more than that in my Gmail account every day. There's an idea for an adventure...have the PCs encounter a whole bucketload of NPCs, each of which offer an adventure in exchange for some large portion of XP or gold.

Hey Gary, here's a question for you

We know that Mordenkainen was Bigby's mentor; under who did Mordenkainen fulfill his wizardly apprenticeship?

Gray Mouser
    "Still, it appears that someone doesn't like us," Fafhrd opined.

"Was that ever news?" the Gray Mouser retorted.

• Closed Thread
    Page 24 of 49 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122232425262728293031323334 ... LastLast