Gary Gygax Q&A: Part X - Page 3

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 49 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
    What? Me Worry?
    Defender (Lvl 8)

The Cleveland, OH area, but missing San Diego, CA

Ignore ColonelHardisson
    Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    The scale-mailed bull model of a gorgon came directly from a copy of a medieval bestiary, the title of which I do not recall, but it was and probably still is in the local (Lake Geneva) public library. I was happy to use that model, for it added another fearsome monster to the roster for DM use
    Thanks much for the quick and courteous reply. I had a feeling it was something like that. Medieval bestiaries and heraldry are rife with unusual critters. I'm glad that someone with an interest in such stuff designed D&D in the first place.
    "Illegitimis non carborundum." - General Joseph Stilwell

Father of the Game
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by ColonelHardisson
    Thanks much for the quick and courteous reply. I had a feeling it was something like that. Medieval bestiaries and heraldry are rife with unusual critters. I'm glad that someone with an interest in such stuff designed D&D in the first place.
    Heh...

But no one liked the opinicus...

Cheers,
    Gary

Hi Gary!
    Just curious, not that this is really a game related question per say, but, has any particular piece of art/music ever played an influence on anything that you've ever designed (module, supplement or novel)? If so, what type ?
    Also, me just be an inquisitive individual, what type of music do you listen to most frequently?
    Thank you so much for your time to answer such mundane queries, extra apologies if this has been asked before. Ciao!

Father of the Game
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by John Drake
    Hi Gary!
    Just curious, not that this is really a game related question per say, but, has any particular piece of art/music ever played an influence on anything that you've ever designed (module, supplement or novel)? If so, what type ?
    Also, me just be an inquisitive individual, what type of music do you listen to most frequently?
    Thank you so much for your time to answer such mundane queries, extra apologies if this has been asked before. Ciao!
    Howdy John,

Two pieces of artsy-craftsy sort have engendered short stories--"The Five Dragon Bowl" from a Chinese plate, and "The House in the Tree" from a series of collectable miniature houses.

I listen to classical music mostly, but I also enjoy Spanish guitar, modern jazz, old r & b (1950s), and blues, even some country & western and opera now and again.

Cheers,
    Gary

Guide (Lvl 11)

Ignore haakon1

All the material on Google is sans text...lost in the crash I assume.

Haakon1 was the last poster that I know of, but that too is lost.

Such is life on the internet :\

Cheers,
    Gary
    Alas . . . indeed, such is the internet.

At least I get the satisfaction of knowing once and for all that Gary remembers my screenname.

Guide (Lvl 11)

Ignore haakon1
    Quote Originally Posted by Infiniti2000
    Henry, your .sig got reset to those two excellent quotes.
    I know. What was the Gary quote about timidity and something-err-other are the harbingers of death, as is foolhardiness?

Actually, when I first discovered the crash was when I logged in specifically to grab that quote for an email. :\

Guide (Lvl 11)

Ignore haakon1
    But no one liked the opinicus...
    I'll bite . . . what's a opinicus?

Sounds like an opinionated quasit to me: Smite Evil time!

(Opps, I think that's 3.x rules . . . it blends to together after 20 years of AD&D and 5 years of 3e.)

Guide (Lvl 11)

Ignore haakon1
    even some country & western
    That reminds me of a pre-crash topic . . . Boot Hill. I think I asked naively if you wrote it.

I should just look it up, I know, but my Boot Hill materials are in NY State, and I'm in WA State. :\

Boot Hill was a whole lot of fun for me and my friends, in the original and 2nd edition.

My senior year in college (1991), someone discovered our college had a long-defunct roleplaying society in the 1970s, and they had left behind a very few things, including a booklet of original Boot Hill.

Naturally, we took it very seriously as a historical simulation of life on the frontier . . .

We were drunk the first time we played it, and we all had a blast -- learning the rules was not hard, plus we invented new ones, like a 50% chance of falling off a balcony everytime you were shot on a second story. There were more PC deaths that night than ever -- I think it took about 3 minutes to make a new one.

The most memorable player death was the Chinaman kung-fu laundryman/ninja/deadeye gunfighter in black pajamas and a ten-gallon-hat being crushed with a player piano down the stairs by the evil Eastern banker/pimp/beer magnate, C. Montgomery Coors, as the whore with a heart of gold screamed in horror, and many, many, many shots rang out in the night.

Heh...

Would I were so astute :\

About the best I can claim is to have recognized in 1978 that computer games were going to be important in the future, and urge my fellows at TSR to get the company into the field immediately. That was done, but not logically, and soon TSR was out of the field even as computer fantasy games were becoming really popular.

Cheers,
    Gary

So basically, Al Gore can boast about inventing The Internet while Gary Gygax cannot. 'Tis a sad world, indeed!

Novice (Lvl 1)

Ignore Phanboy
    Hi Gary, I'm trying to figure out the origins of the saving throw. How did this mechanic come about, and Where did the name come from, I get the saving part, but why throw, and not roll?
    Thanks!
    "Worst sig ever."

• Closed Thread
    Page 3 of 49 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast