Gary Gygax Q&A: Part X - Page 32

Closed Thread
Page 32 of 49 FirstFirst ... 222324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast
    Father of the Game
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by seskis281
    Hey Gary,

I joined this thread about a year ago but got consumed with work directing plays and teaching so it's been awhile... since my wife and I live just a little ways north in Manitowoc we had hoped to come down for the Con several weeks ago but alas medical problems and surgery for her this summer intervened - so we hope there will be another one next year.
    Howdy!

The LGGC is already set for June of 2007, Fathers' Day Weekend, and we expect to host a pre-con party here as we did last year and this. The Trolls enjoy this are, putting on a small event, having so much fun, so they are considering having one this fall, an Autumn in Lake Geneva Gaming Convention...hopefully in early October if it happens

I finally had time to procure the LA essentials set and I've also ordered all the C&C materials. I did have a question - in my LA box it had promo page for two books of "The Chronicles of LA," a gazetteer and "Noble Kings and Dark Lands." The Trolllord's web site doesn't list these items under LA - are they out of print or defunct with Hekaforge? I am very interested in the setting so if you know where I can get them I'd greatly appreciate it.
    Those are indeed Hekaforge paperbacks, and as far as I know they are still available from Chris Clark of Inner city Game Designs. Chris is currently working on the third book in the five book series covering the Lejendary Earth World Setting. contact him.

Cheers,
    Gary

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    I Defended The Walls!

Ignore MutieMoe
    Where did the idea of character advancement (levels and gaining experience etc.) come from?

Father of the Game

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by MutieMoe
    Where did the idea of character advancement (levels and gaining experience etc.) come from?
    Its basis was the Chainmail military miniatures rules, "Fantasy Supplement"

In that section of the work Heros required four hits to be killed, superheroes eight. IIRR, there were also two grades of magic-users, a wizard and another sort with fewer spells. (Sorry, but I don't have a copy of the 1971 book to check regarding the latter.)

Cheers,
    Gary

Heya Gary
    Just curious, when you run LA, D&D or what have you, do you utilize miniatures? I do like them a quite a bit myself, even though sometimes my group can get a little pre-occupied with the strategy element as opposed to doing things based off of what the PC personality might actually do.
    If the above is applicable then I have another question: do you paint/still paint minis, and how proficient are you? I find it quite challenging and immensely rewarding, when I have the time to engage in such a time consuming activity. Anyway, just wondering, thanks Gary!

Father of the Game

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by John Drake
    Heya Gary
    Just curious, when you run LA, D&D or what have you, do you utilize miniatures? I do like them a quite a bit myself, even though sometimes my group can get a little pre-occupied with the strategy element as opposed to doing things based off of what the PC personality might actually do.
    If the above is applicable then I have another question: do you paint/still paint minis, and how proficient are you? I find it quite challenging and immensely rewarding, when I have the time to engage in such a time consuming activity. Anyway, just wondering, thanks Gary!
    Howdy John!

As a matter of habit I seldom use miniature figurines. None of my regualrs bring one to represent their character/Avatar, and while I have plenty of such figurines they could use, I do not have much in the way of creature sorts, so those would have to be dice. That sort of spoils the spectacle.

When we do formal demos, though, we use Dwarven Forge dungeons/caves and miniatures.

Cheers,
    Gary

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore bowbe
    Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    The Trolls enjoy this are, putting on a small event, having so much fun, so they are considering having one this fall, an Autumn in Lake Geneva Gaming Convention...hopefully in early October if it happens
    Ah... good fishing season on the lakes! Makes me miss the yearly jaunts to Kenosha to see my family. Course none of them live there anymore.

Is Alex going to be at Gen Con this year? If so tell him Case said lunch is on him again!

Case

Guide (Lvl 11)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries

Ignore airwalkrr
    So Gary (continuing the deities theme), what do you think of campaigns that have the end goal of killing a deity? Hogwash? Super-hero stuff?

(This question is in no way related to the Age of Worms...)

Father of the Game

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by bowbe
    Ah... good fishing season on the lakes! Makes me miss the yearly jaunts to Kenosha to see my family. Course none of them live there anymore.

Is Alex going to be at Gen Con this year? If so tell him Case said lunch is on him again!

Case
    Howdy Case,

Lake Geneva was a great fishing lake--German brown trout, northern pike, pickerel, walleye pike, large- and small-mouth bass, white bass (fun to catch, bad eating), crappie, bluegill, and yellow perch. Cisco through the ice. The motor boat and jet ski traffic is now so bad in summer that fishing is not so good. One must go in early spring and fall.

Alex is planning on making it to genCon, and I have passed along your message

Cheers,
    Gary

Father of the Game

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by airwalkrr
    So Gary (continuing the deities theme), what do you think of campaigns that have the end goal of killing a deity? Hogwash? Super-hero stuff?

(This question is in no way related to the Age of Worms...)
    That sort of campaign is hogwash in terms of the FRPG, proper for a comic book superhero system where the characters can become tremendously powerful and need such opponents to make the game even vaguely interesting. In short, I think the concept is childish and not worth pursuing by mature gamers.

Cheers,
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    That sort of campaign is hogwash in terms of the FRPG, proper for a comic book superhero system where the characters can become tremendously powerful and need such opponents to make the game even vaguely interesting. In short, I think the concept is childish and not worth pursuing by mature gamers.

Cheers,
    Gary
    Why end D3/Q1 with that goal then? Lolth was worshiped by most of the drow, so I'd assume she was a demonic deity. Zuggtmoy as well.

And even though Gord was a series of novels and not a game campaign I saw that as a pretty cool archetypical 1st edition campaign going from 1st level to the ultimate end of a campaign, eh? He did say "a deity", not a pantheon.

Is this a perspective you've changed with over time? While I hate the "cool, we can kill all the gods" mentality, I also dislike the alternate "gods can NEVER have stats and are totally beyond mortal ken" approach either.

• Closed Thread
    Page 32 of 49 FirstFirst ... 222324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast