Gary Gygax Q&A: Part X - Page 35


What's on your mind?

Closed Thread
Page 35 of 49 FirstFirst ... 252627282930313233343536373839404142434445 ... LastLast
Results 341 to 350 of 485
  1. #341
    Father of the Game
    Orcus on an Off-Day (Lvl 22)

    Col_Pladoh's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Lake Geneva, WI
    Posts
    4,756
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Mouser
    Sheesh, even when Gary goes back to answer the skipped posts I get left out! A repost is in order, I think


    Your post about me missing your other post appeared just after I replied to the post you said I had ignored

    Cheers,
    Gary

 

  • #342
    Father of the Game
    Orcus on an Off-Day (Lvl 22)

    Col_Pladoh's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Lake Geneva, WI
    Posts
    4,756
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Mouser
    Oops, looks like I was a little overzealous and reposted just as Gary was answering my questions. Sorry, Colonel!

    And, of course, thanks for your input. It will be most helpful as this is really the first time that players in my campaign have invested in henchmen and hirelings!

    Gray Mouser
    Yuppers,

    Remember, I am a Columbus Method typist, as it were...discover and land!


    Cheers,
    Gary

  • #343
    Father of the Game
    Orcus on an Off-Day (Lvl 22)

    Col_Pladoh's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Lake Geneva, WI
    Posts
    4,756
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by John Drake
    Hmm, I had no idea about that, since I always thought the little forward you wrote in it was quite complimentary. In addition to what JRT asked, why did he get the job of doing that module? Iirc, it was something about things resembling (at that time) ToEE too much, and, if memory serves, you saw some of the work he was doing and gave it a green light. I'd check the module, but I don't have it handy at the moment. Of course, I'm generalising and glossing over the details as I have heard, so I don't mean to be offensive in any way. Thanks Gary, as always, very much appreciated!
    Aloha,

    Check my post responding to JRT's message for details of how Dave S. became involved in the projct.

    Of course I was a total company man, so I would never disparage the work of another that was to go into production. While I was most disappointed in the material, I desired neither to denigrate Dave's effort or publically question Brian's acumen in regards creative selection. Thus the forward as written.

    There was a link between the Drow modules and the ToEE, mainly in my head, and after QI came out I rather lost interest in developing the former, as the EEG was not released from hia banishment to a distant star (ala Set). I would have devised some other scenario to accomplish that, only the Drow and Lolth were not to be emulated in a hurry, and I ran oput of time to make the attempt, so Frank badgered me into having him complete the ToEE.

    Cheers,
    Gary

  • #344
    Father of the Game
    Orcus on an Off-Day (Lvl 22)

    Col_Pladoh's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Lake Geneva, WI
    Posts
    4,756
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnRTroy
    At least Gail still (hopefully) needed and feeded you when you were 64.


    Bah! She uses my weight and health ot avoid cooking what I wish her to feed me...steak & kidney pie, standing rib roast of beef, breaded veal kidney chops, mixed sausage grill, wiener schnitzel, peach cobbler, rhubarb pie, cream brule, that sort of thing


    Cheers,
    Gary

  • #345
    Registered User
    Scout (Lvl 6)

    Flexor the Mighty!'s Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    3,505
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Ignore Flexor the Mighty!
    Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    Howdy Flexor!

    Perhaps you recall me mentioning illustrated novel versions of the Gord books. Sadly, the state of the market in the US for comics and illustrated novels flushed that deal. I mention this becase the illustrator for the initial episode to introduce the story used City of Hawks as his basis, and the depiction of the boat with infant Gord in it approaching the looming walls of the city in the storm was just great in my opinion. The producer and illustrator had it nailed as far as I was concerned, so I was doubly whammied when things went south.


    Cheers,
    Gary
    I was going to ask you about the progress on those...well that just sucks. I was really pumped about those when you mentioned them last year or so.
    18/100 STR

  • #346
    Father of the Game
    Orcus on an Off-Day (Lvl 22)

    Col_Pladoh's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Lake Geneva, WI
    Posts
    4,756
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Flexor the Mighty!
    I was going to ask you about the progress on those...well that just sucks. I was really pumped about those when you mentioned them last year or so.
    Me too

    Broken Halos was gpoing to be the publishing entity, and I began to suspect the worst when the release date kept getting pushed back further and further. I do not blame them, of course. It is the state of the market...amd likely because of a single distributor.

    Cheers,
    Gary

  • #347
    Registered User
    Guide (Lvl 11)

    Deuce Traveler's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Hampton, VA
    Posts
    6,232
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Ignore Deuce Traveler
    My communities:

    Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    Okay,

    But as I read your assessment, the game would have to move from a FRPG genre to what is virtually a comic book superhero type to manage the transition.

    A game based on slaying deities is sure to become tedious in short order, is it not?

    Cheers,
    Gary
    Not really. When I mentioned the word 'immortal' would have to be redefined, I meant using it as a farmer might, not as a referee. To the characters, an extremely powerful villian may seem god-like but actually be mortal. Sort of how the natives of the island saw King Kong as a god, but he was killable.

    If one were to make dragons extremely rare in a fantasy game, an elder dragon could easily be considered an immortal god by the local population. The battle between such a villian and the heroes would be epic, but winnable.

    I wasn't really talking about taking a villian and making him a super-villian. I meant more like trying to see the fantasy world through the eyes of normal mortals and incorporating that feeling into the descriptions of a game. If a peasant is distrustful of a wizard who can cast a spell and charm anyone, and fears a wizard who can throw fireballs into the masses of an enemy, he and his kin is going to see a evil lich who can stop time and kill with a gesture akin to an immortal god.

  • #348
    Father of the Game
    Orcus on an Off-Day (Lvl 22)

    Col_Pladoh's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Lake Geneva, WI
    Posts
    4,756
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce Traveler
    Not really. When I mentioned the word 'immortal' would have to be redefined, I meant using it as a farmer might, not as a referee. To the characters, an extremely powerful villian may seem god-like but actually be mortal. Sort of how the natives of the island saw King Kong as a god, but he was killable.

    If one were to make dragons extremely rare in a fantasy game, an elder dragon could easily be considered an immortal god by the local population. The battle between such a villian and the heroes would be epic, but winnable.

    I wasn't really talking about taking a villian and making him a super-villian. I meant more like trying to see the fantasy world through the eyes of normal mortals and incorporating that feeling into the descriptions of a game. If a peasant is distrustful of a wizard who can cast a spell and charm anyone, and fears a wizard who can throw fireballs into the masses of an enemy, he and his kin is going to see a evil lich who can stop time and kill with a gesture akin to an immortal god.
    Well sure,

    But what you set forth is actually quite different from the original scheme, a campaign in which the PCs aim was to slay deities, not what ordnary yokels might consider as such

    Fantasy deities create things, move mountains, sink continents, and are generally quite untouchable by mortals. even the Genie of the Lamp is quite unkillable, albeit he can be duped

    Cheers,
    Gary

  • #349
    Registered User
    Guide (Lvl 11)

    Deuce Traveler's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Hampton, VA
    Posts
    6,232
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Ignore Deuce Traveler
    My communities:

    Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    Well sure,

    But what you set forth is actually quite different from the original scheme, a campaign in which the PCs aim was to slay deities, not what ordnary yokels might consider as such

    Fantasy deities create things, move mountains, sink continents, and are generally quite untouchable by mortals. even the Genie of the Lamp is quite unkillable, albeit he can be duped

    Cheers,
    Gary
    Yep. What had my wheels turning is the fact that some players are attracted to an adventure where they can say they knocked off a god. When a ref is lowering the power of a deity to the point that the party can kill the villian, he effectively makes the deity mortal. But the power-gaming players don't mind that fact, since what they really wanted was to have 'bragging rights' about their character. Players that prefer their games more reality-based will probably roll their eyes.

    I'm just wondering if an adventure could be made by turning this idea on its head. Instead of taking a god and depowering him so a mortal can kill him, why not take a mortal villian and have NPCs hype him up so much that said villian is believed to be a god. Now the power-gamers can have their bragging rights, while other gamers enjoy the irony when they realize their arch-nemesis isn't a deity after all. Perhaps the arch-nemesis even had religious followers to better give a sense of false invulnerability. Maybe the clerics of this religion didn't have spells, but instead carried wands and rings that simulated minor clerical powers.

    This is all just brainstorming, as I'm trying to rip apart the elements that make 'god-killing' games fun for some and better fit it to the kind of plot-twist stories I enjoy.

    Of course, the only reason the wheels are turning is in consideration of making a campaign where you can satisfy both kinds of fantasy RPG fans. Then again, you could target both kinds of fans and come out alienating both...

  • #350
    Father of the Game
    Orcus on an Off-Day (Lvl 22)

    Col_Pladoh's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Lake Geneva, WI
    Posts
    4,756
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce Traveler
    ...

    This is all just brainstorming, as I'm trying to rip apart the elements that make 'god-killing' games fun for some and better fit it to the kind of plot-twist stories I enjoy.

    Of course, the only reason the wheels are turning is in consideration of making a campaign where you can satisfy both kinds of fantasy RPG fans. Then again, you could target both kinds of fans and come out alienating both...
    That is a good idea, making a super-villian that power gamers can gloat over slayng while at the same time keeping the campaign's true deities sacrosanct.

    Actually, sending a potent nether world entity backtoits own plane gives the accomplishing party some cnsiderable degree of bragging rights.

    As an aside, while I have my power gaming moments, I have never had the hubris to assume any of my PCs could face a deity, not did I ever dsire to have one do so.

    Cheers,
    Gary

  • Closed Thread
    Page 35 of 49 FirstFirst ... 252627282930313233343536373839404142434445 ... LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. Gary Gygax Q&A: Part XII
      By Col_Pladoh in forum Archive-threads
      Replies: 904
      Last Post: Tuesday, 10th April, 2007, 10:00 PM
    2. Gary Gygax Q&A: part VII
      By grodog in forum Archive-threads
      Replies: 490
      Last Post: Sunday, 20th February, 2005, 05:02 PM
    3. Gary Gygax Q&A, Part V
      By grodog in forum Archive-threads
      Replies: 213
      Last Post: Thursday, 4th March, 2004, 02:24 PM
    4. Gary Gygax Q&A, Part IV
      By Steverooo in forum Archive-threads
      Replies: 266
      Last Post: Wednesday, 10th December, 2003, 07:35 PM
    5. Q&A with Gary Gygax - Part I
      By thatdarncat in forum Archive-threads
      Replies: 715
      Last Post: Tuesday, 28th January, 2003, 03:19 PM

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •