Gary Gygax Q&A: Part X - Page 36

Closed Thread
Page 36 of 49 FirstFirst ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ... LastLast
    Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

° Ignore Deuce Traveler
    Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    That is a good idea, making a super-villian that power gamers can gloat over slayng while at the same time keeping the campaign's true deities sacrosanct.

Actually, sending a potent nether world entity backtoits own plane gives the accomplishing party some cnsiderable degree of bragging rights.

As an aside, while I have my power gaming moments, I have never had the hubris to assume any of my PCs could face a deity, not did I ever dsire to have one do so.

Cheers,
    Gary
    As a last aside, I now keep having that scene from Ghostbusters playing in my head.

"Ray, the next time someone asks you if you're a god, you say YES!"

Father of the Game
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

° Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce Traveler
    As a last aside, I now keep having that scene from Ghostbusters playing in my head.

"Ray, the next time someone asks you if you're a god, you say YES!"

I'll settle for being the Key Master...

Gary

Guide (Lvl 11)

° Ignore haakon1
    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce Traveler
    I think a party could have an interesting 'god-killing' game, but the immortal's status would have to be redefined. Such as when Conan would meet alien beings that the locals would worship as gods, and prove them wrong by striking it down in a barbaric rage. If ran properly, the DM can draw up an adventure with an ageless creature that has fanatical followers and plans to take over the world. Its powers are so great that the followers believe it to be a god, but it can be harmed and even killed with the right weaponry.
    I'm having fun with a rakshasa whose plotting includes creating a servitor race and taking over villages . . . the PC's are about to run him out of town, but he's too tough for them to kill, since they don't know what he is. Immortal shapechanger with magical powers = cool Boss Monster.

Guide (Lvl 11)

° Ignore haakon1
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnRTroy
    As an aside--I actually just purchased the ToEE computer game after playing the demo and seeing how accurate it was to the modules, save for the update in the game system. Looking forward to that--I'll actually have to avoid digging out my old module so I don't cheat.
    No kidding. It's quite cool, and very close to being accurate about the adventure (as I remember it) and 3.0 rules. I realized I had a bit of an advantage, even though I never played nor ran the original, when I instantly took up the town drunk on his off to join my party, whereas a friend who hadn't grown up with it turned the guy down as being a useless drunk.

Guide (Lvl 11)

° Ignore haakon1
    Being far too busy at the time to oversee the project, and as Brian Blume thought Dave's work great, I gritted my teeth and went on.
    Well, it was good enough that the idea of a giant mechanical, steam-powered spider ship as a Boss-Monster/Boss-Monster conveyance was ripped off for the movie "Wild Wild West".

And good enough that the idea of giant spider goddess was shown as the true power behind the throne in Rome in an episode of South Park (right after a scene from the ~1980 Activision game "Pitfall").

I guess that's not necessarily very "good", but it's certainly an image that stuck in minds of folk enough that it's worth it to rip it off.

Father of the Game

° Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by haakon1
    No kidding. It's quite cool, and very close to being accurate about the adventure (as I remember it) and 3.0 rules. I realized I had a bit of an advantage, even though I never played nor ran the original, when I instantly took up the town drunk on his off to join my party, whereas a friend who hadn't grown up with it turned the guy down as being a useless drunk.
    The chief designer did check with me about his interpretations of the paper module for the electronic game one, and I found he certainly had a firm grasp of what was intended.

Cheers,
    Gary

Father of the Game

° Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by haakon1
    Well, it was good enough that the idea of a giant mechanical, steam-powered spider ship as a Boss-Monster/Boss-Monster conveyance was ripped off for the movie "Wild Wild West".

And good enough that the idea of giant spider goddess was shown as the true power behind the throne in Rome in an episode of South Park (right after a scene from the ~1980 Activision game "Pitfall").

I guess that's not necessarily very "good", but it's certainly an image that stuck in minds of folk enough that it's worth it to rip it off.

I prefer something more akin to a mix of Lovecraft and Merritt when presenting such darl things, not hokey science or slapstick ala Wild, Wild West

Cheers,
    Gary

Guide (Lvl 11)

° Ignore haakon1
    That is a good idea, making a super-villian that power gamers can gloat over slayng while at the same time keeping the campaign's true deities sacrosanct.
    Or you could kill off "semi-deities", like demon lords or maybe even a hero god . . .

In my campaign, once in a while hero gods exist, somewhere the realms of mortal and immortal, trying to get enough worshipping power to make to demigodhood. I had fun with an old, good one, who was down to one priest and one shrine . . . the PC's were hired to recover his stolen holy "artefact" (not really) taken by rival monks.

Guide (Lvl 11)

° Ignore haakon1

I prefer something more akin to a mix of Lovecraft and Merritt when presenting such darl things, not hokey science or slapstick ala Wild, Wild West

Cheers,
    Gary
    Not that I disagree, but the reference to the spider ship was my favorite thing in "Wild Wild West", not that the competition was too fierce, even though I do have a liking for silliness (not so much in the games I run these days) and even Western silliness (I liked "Brisco County Junior" a lot).

Saying the spider ship was the best thing in "Wild Wild West" reminds me of Simpson's bit. Homer is interviewing a cult "deprogramer":

Deprogrammer: I'm the one who got Paul McCartney out of Wings.
    Homer: But he was the best one!

Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

° Ignore Gentlegamer
    Browsing the "retrojunk" website, enjoying ads, TV show openings and the like from the 70s and 80s, I came across the D&D cartoon, and this image of the end credits made me smile:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...artoonEGG1.jpg

Here's the opening of the D&D cartoon, sure to put a smile on your face, too!
    Words of wisdom from Gary Gygax:

From my perspective wanting less in the way of rules constraints comes from being a veteran Game Master who feels confident that more good material comes from imagination and player interaction with the environment than from textbook rules material.
    more words of wisdom:

• Rashness and foolhardiness are harbingers of death, as is timidity, in such adventure setting.
    • Those that complain about real challenges might be better off playing Candyland with their little sister
    • First and foremost, munchkinism arose as a contemporary of the OD&D game. Nothing in the rules of that or any other version of the game was needed to make it flourish.
    • There is no relationship between 3E and original D&D, or OAD&D for that matter. Different games, style, and spirit.
    • [E]xperience has taught me that everyone has their own gaming preferences, and it is not a matter of "good" or "bad" in all, save in light of one's own preferences.

• Closed Thread
    Page 36 of 49 FirstFirst ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ... LastLast