Gary Gygax Q&A: Part X - Page 37

Closed Thread
Page 37 of 49 FirstFirst ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ... LastLast
    Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

Ignore Gentlegamer
    Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    That sort of campaign is hogwash in terms of the FRPG, proper for a comic book superhero system where the characters can become tremendously powerful and need such opponents to make the game even vaguely interesting. In short, I think the concept is childish and not worth pursuing by mature gamers.
    Forgive me for back-tracking the thread a bit . . .

On this thought, what of campaigns deliberately designed for high-level play, such as that of Francois Marcela-Froideval?
    Words of wisdom from Gary Gygax:

From my perspective wanting less in the way of rules constraints comes from being a veteran Game Master who feels confident that more good material comes from imagination and player interaction with the environment than from textbook rules material.
    more words of wisdom:

• Rashness and foolhardiness are harbingers of death, as is timidity, in such adventure setting.
    • Those that complain about real challenges might be better off playing Candyland with their little sister
    • First and foremost, munchkinism arose as a contemporary of the OD&D game. Nothing in the rules of that or any other version of the game was needed to make it flourish.
    • There is no relationship between 3E and original D&D, or OAD&D for that matter. Different games, style, and spirit.
    • [E]xperience has taught me that everyone has their own gaming preferences, and it is not a matter of "good" or "bad" in all, save in light of one's own preferences.

Father of the Game
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Howdy!

I taught my younger children to cheer when that closing cretit ran on screen

that the spinoff version of the show never went into production is a sad thing, bacause iw was better, more mature, then the initial series.

Cheers,
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    Howdy!

I taught my younger children to cheer when that closing cretit ran on screen

that the spinoff version of the show never went into production is a sad thing, bacause iw was better, more mature, then the initial series.

Cheers,
    Gary
    Last night as me and my brother were watching an episode of that old 'toon on cable we started talking about how there has never been another D&D cartoon. Seeing how Drizzt novels sell very well, and sell a lot to non players, why isn't there a FR cartoon starring Drizzt? I don't like either, but I know if it was well animated and decently written I'd be all over it. Not a "Saturday morning" style cartoon, but a more mature show on Cartoon Network or something like that. Seems like it would be a good marketing push for the game, unless Hasbro think any possible gains are not going to be worth it in light of the expense.
    Hack & Slash gamer.

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Flexor the Mighty!
    Last night as me and my brother were watching an episode of that old 'toon on cable we started talking about how there has never been another D&D cartoon. Seeing how Drizzt novels sell very well, and sell a lot to non players, why isn't there a FR cartoon starring Drizzt? I don't like either, but I know if it was well animated and decently written I'd be all over it. Not a "Saturday morning" style cartoon, but a more mature show on Cartoon Network or something like that. Seems like it would be a good marketing push for the game, unless Hasbro think any possible gains are not going to be worth it in light of the expense.
    That's a poser!

Perhaps Hasbro isn't interested in such a cartoon series, or perhaps they can't find a production entity that is, because of costs and the difficulty of finding a channel to air the series that would be willing to pay the freight.

What with computer-generated animation, I should think it wouldn't be all that expensive to produce each episode of a new show based on the D&D game. Because of the computer versions of the game, the potential audience is surely large eough.

cheers,
    Gary

Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

Ignore Deuce Traveler
    Quote Originally Posted by haakon1
    I'm having fun with a rakshasa whose plotting includes creating a servitor race and taking over villages . . . the PC's are about to run him out of town, but he's too tough for them to kill, since they don't know what he is. Immortal shapechanger with magical powers = cool Boss Monster.
    Very nice

Novice (Lvl 1)

Ignore Gearjammer
    Gary, first of all many thanks for creating a game that's given me and my friends endless hours of enjoyment over the last 20 some-odd years.

In talking with many of my fellow gamers most of us seemed to have experienced sometime in our early gaming career the "Wonder moment." A time when we were first introduced to D&D or another RPG and after being confused by the pile of numbers, stats, and dice had a singular moment where your imagination "clicked on" and you were seeing the game in your head and you were hooked forever. Did you ever have a "wonder moment" and when did it occur?

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

I Defended The Walls!

Ignore MutieMoe
    Thanks for answering the previous questions!

Why the dungeons? Where did that idea come from? Why dungeon is the archtypical fantasy roleplaying adventures enviroment?

Gallant (Lvl 3)

Midwest, USA, Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Local Group, The Mind of God.

Ignore Steverooo

'Bout time for a new thread, Henry?

Page 10. Or are we gonna let this thread run on forever, like the last one? About time to archive this one?

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Gearjammer
    Gary, first of all many thanks for creating a game that's given me and my friends endless hours of enjoyment over the last 20 some-odd years.

In talking with many of my fellow gamers most of us seemed to have experienced sometime in our early gaming career the "Wonder moment." A time when we were first introduced to D&D or another RPG and after being confused by the pile of numbers, stats, and dice had a singular moment where your imagination "clicked on" and you were seeing the game in your head and you were hooked forever. Did you ever have a "wonder moment" and when did it occur?

Of course you are welcome, for I have greatly enjoyed the whole gaming experience myself.

You asked a good question. Indeed, from the time I sat down to create the rules for the OD&D game I was filled with a thrilling sense of wonder and excitement to present and play such a game. That continued on for several years after D&D and AD&D were published,...until the grind of business and associated matters rather wore it out. However...

I have been working on polishing the core rules for the Lejendary AsteRogues Fantastical Science RPG the last week or so, and sure enough, the old enthusiasm was right there! the only problem I have is that my creative energy now runs out in a few hours rather than lasting all day :\

Cheers,
    Gary

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by MutieMoe
    Thanks for answering the previous questions!

Why the dungeons? Where did that idea come from? Why dungeon is the archtypical fantasy roleplaying adventures enviroment?
    Sure

Credit Dave Arneson and Dave Megary (designer of the Dungeon! boardgame) with my concentrating on subterranean settings for the D&D game. The contained adventuring environment was perfect for establishing fixed encounters before a game session, and for developing progressively more hazardous ones as the PCs grew in their capacity to manage them.

Of course, many an exciting fantasy yarn has been set in such surroundings, beginning with that of Theseus and the Minotaur, eh?

Cheers,
    Gary

• Closed Thread
    Page 37 of 49 FirstFirst ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ... LastLast