Gary Gygax Q&A: Part X - Page 38

Closed Thread
Page 38 of 49 FirstFirst ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ... LastLast
    Father of the Game
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Steverooo
    Page 10. Or are we gonna let this thread run on forever, like the last one? About time to archive this one?
    I think about 12 pages is a good place to stop, but is 10 is easier to archive, I can begin a new one.

Cheers,
    Gary

Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

Ignore Gentlegamer
    Gary, there's presently an interesting thread discussing the design merits of the Tomb of Horrors. Perhaps you'd like to comment?

http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=166451
    Words of wisdom from Gary Gygax:

From my perspective wanting less in the way of rules constraints comes from being a veteran Game Master who feels confident that more good material comes from imagination and player interaction with the environment than from textbook rules material.
    more words of wisdom:

• Rashness and foolhardiness are harbingers of death, as is timidity, in such adventure setting.
    • Those that complain about real challenges might be better off playing Candyland with their little sister
    • First and foremost, munchkinism arose as a contemporary of the OD&D game. Nothing in the rules of that or any other version of the game was needed to make it flourish.
    • There is no relationship between 3E and original D&D, or OAD&D for that matter. Different games, style, and spirit.
    • [E]xperience has taught me that everyone has their own gaming preferences, and it is not a matter of "good" or "bad" in all, save in light of one's own preferences.

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Gentlegamer
    Gary, there's presently an interesting thread discussing the design merits of the Tomb of Horrors. Perhaps you'd like to comment?

http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=166451

I have read a good deaql of it, and I determined not to post, as there is no disputing taste.

Of course I not only think that they are, but have observed the coddled state of many new gamers as they died before my now beloved Old Guard Kobolds or met otherwise useless deaths because they: 1) were not thinking, and/or 2) assumed that whatever they met in an encounter they could deal with, and/or 3) they expected a special Dm intervention such as a save wneh they totally screwed up.

Finally, there is no distinction between "having a PC figure something out" and the player doing so, Unless a psychotic schizophrenic is playing, the two are not separate entities, as the player is making believe he is the game character.

How supposedly mature persons can get all worked up over a matter pf personal taste in a game of make-believe is beyond me

Cheers,
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh

How supposedly mature persons can get all worked up over a matter of personal taste in a game of make-believe is beyond me

Cheers,
    Gary
    You and me both.

Im sure folks must derive some sort of satisfaction over debating over minutae, but where's the fun? Where's the mystery and suspense?
    Peter

C&C Art Troll

www.ravenchilde.com

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by gideon_thorne
    You and me both.

Im sure folks must derive some sort of satisfaction over debating over minutae, but where's the fun? Where's the mystery and suspense?
    Worse still!

Many new players these days demand that there be no mystery and suspense at all, that everything magical be spelled out and formulaized so as to be producable by any common person with a modicum of magical ability

Cheers,
    Gary

Worse still!

Many new players these days demand that there be no mystery and suspense at all, that everything magical be spelled out and formulaized so as to be producable by any common person with a modicum of magical ability

Cheers,
    Gary
    Im sure they are just trying to protect the business of the common layman and Larry's Used Magical Junkyard. ^_^

Or even an international business who's motto would then be "Watch out for falling charges." Spell-Mart. ^_^
    Peter

C&C Art Troll

www.ravenchilde.com

2) assumed that whatever they met in an encounter they could deal with, and/or 3) they expected a special Dm intervention such as a save wneh they totally screwed up.
    My very first D&D 3.5 group basically collapsed because of this problem. They just woudn't flee no matter what. Then they got upset when their 1st level characters almost died and pretty much demanded (in not so many words) that I make their characters invincible by fudging the rolls constantly.

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by gideon_thorne
    Im sure they are just trying to protect the business of the common layman and Larry's Used Magical Junkyard. ^_^

Or even an international business who's motto would then be "Watch out for falling charges." Spell-Mart. ^_^

Well said!

Cheers,
    Gary

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Captain
    My very first D&D 3.5 group basically collapsed because of this problem. They just woudn't flee no matter what. Then they got upset when their 1st level characters almost died and pretty much demanded (in not so many words) that I make their characters invincible by fudging the rolls constantly.
    Just so

Most of the players in my campaign, all of my own PCs, were never too proud to take to their heels when the opposition was clearly overwhelming. In fact, a good bit of thrilling adventure went into some of the ensuing chases. When Mordenkainen and bigby met their fate at the hands of Rob's super iron golem, it was bacause they hadn't the means to escape quickly, not that they didn't wish to beat feet

As a DM I made lemonade out of the "lemons" of the new players' reluctance to flee, to stand and die before a foe that was trashing them. That is how the Old Guard Kobolds came into being, and they have grown in both individual ability, numbers, and organizarion so they now pose a meaningful threat to PC parties of 4th or 5th level. Sadly, a group of such PC that were veterans took ost of them out, but iw was a casual play session, so I won't count it against the little humanoids

Cheers,
    Gary

Guide (Lvl 11)

Ignore haakon1
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Captain
    My very first D&D 3.5 group basically collapsed because of this problem.
    What's the matter with kids today?

Seriously, I'm OK with there being rules for "everything" in the universe in 3.x, and for PC's to eventually be able to do them all, but the emphasis on "balance" in adventures is lame.

Unbalanced "life is like a box of chocolates", kobold in one room, dragon in the next is part of the spirit and the danger of adventuring. I LOVE being able to have a party see their progress in power by nearly being TPK'd by random encounter wolves at 1st level, and not even slowing down to waste a dozen of them at 9th level.

I figure Bilbo Baggins faced TROLLS at 1st level, and survived, and it was exciting.

My latest 1st level party is in the Sunless Citadel, and the troll in there is not nerfed either . . . if they are foolish enough to release it, they'd better smarten up and run. So far, I haven't faked one die roll in this campaign . . . I was thinking of converting a natch 20 on the first monster attack in the game -- two giant centipedes in homage to Gary's answer about the first monsters fought in the game -- but a player saw it and said "Oh crap" before I could lie. So, so far exciting, knowing when I saw, "Darn, one more hp on that hit and you'd be dead!" that I actually mean it.

• Closed Thread
    Page 38 of 49 FirstFirst ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ... LastLast