Gary Gygax Q&A: Part X - Page 40

Closed Thread
Page 40 of 49 FirstFirst ... 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 LastLast
    Creature Cataloguer
    Enchanter (Lvl 12)

° Ignore BOZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    Hydra snails are the specialty of Mordenkainen, many attacks in one, as it were.
    ooh, hydra flail snails would be wicked nasty! that's a few dozen clubbing attacks per round isn't it?
    don't quote me on that.

I am the D&D guru on Wikipedia (because no one else wanted the job!) so check out the D&D Wikiproject!

Cutpurse (Lvl 5)

° Ignore rgard
    Just so

Most of the players in my campaign, all of my own PCs, were never too proud to take to their heels when the opposition was clearly overwhelming. In fact, a good bit of thrilling adventure went into some of the ensuing chases. When Mordenkainen and bigby met their fate at the hands of Rob's super iron golem, it was bacause they hadn't the means to escape quickly, not that they didn't wish to beat feet

As a DM I made lemonade out of the "lemons" of the new players' reluctance to flee, to stand and die before a foe that was trashing them. That is how the Old Guard Kobolds came into being, and they have grown in both individual ability, numbers, and organizarion so they now pose a meaningful threat to PC parties of 4th or 5th level. Sadly, a group of such PC that were veterans took ost of them out, but iw was a casual play session, so I won't count it against the little humanoids

Cheers,
    Gary
    Hi Gary!

First time I've posted in one of your threads. Like so many others, I thank you for creating a game that I've loved for years now. Love it so much that I opened my own game store. I have the blue book (from the boxed set I picked up in the late 70s) proudly displayed in the store. Again, thanks!

Back to post. We never had a problem fleeing when the odds were against us as PCs. We just quoted Monty Python and yelled "Run away, run away." And as we ran away somebody (who was fleeing) would yell, "let me face the peril!" But his character would continue to flee anyway.

Thanks,
    Rich
    I have a sneaking suspicion that I may become the 'Diaglo' of 3.5E.

"If I reject Jedi situational ethics, does that make me a Sith?"

Stuff on Ebay: http://stores.ebay.com/Blue-Star-Games

Doing my best to annoy people: http://www.cafepress.com/sk/rbgard

Yes, I was infatuated with Ms. Frost.

Father of the Game
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

° Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by BOZ
    ooh, hydra flail snails would be wicked nasty! that's a few dozen clubbing attacks per round isn't it?

Depends on the hydra, typically five, seven, or nine heads. Of course the most desirable sort to polymorph is that with the most heads!

Cheers,
    Gary

Father of the Game

° Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by rgard
    Hi Gary!

First time I've posted in one of your threads. Like so many others, I thank you for creating a game that I've loved for years now. Love it so much that I opened my own game store. I have the blue book (from the boxed set I picked up in the late 70s) proudly displayed in the store. Again, thanks!

Back to post. We never had a problem fleeing when the odds were against us as PCs. We just quoted Monty Python and yelled "Run away, run away." And as we ran away somebody (who was fleeing) would yell, "let me face the peril!" But his character would continue to flee anyway.

Thanks,
    Rich
    Hi Rich,

Welcome, and it is a good choice you made, for running a shop is a more likely means of earning a gaming livelihood than is creating games and support material... Where exactly is your shop located?

Your reference to Monty Python in regards fleeing does strike a chord, for my players would do the same, or else sing verses from "Brave Sir Robin." When I am having my own PC flee in unseemly haste I usually quote Falstaff's lines in Shakespeare's plays: "He who runs away lives to fight another day," or. "discretion is the better part of valor."

Cheers,
    Gary

Cutpurse (Lvl 5)

° Ignore rgard
    Hi Rich,

Welcome, and it is a good choice you made, for running a shop is a more likely means of earning a gaming livelihood than is creating games and support material... Where exactly is your shop located?

Your reference to Monty Python in regards fleeing does strike a chord, for my players would do the same, or else sing verses from "Brave Sir Robin." When I am having my own PC flee in unseemly haste I usually quote Falstaff's lines in Shakespeare's plays: "He who runs away lives to fight another day," or. "discretion is the better part of valor."

Cheers,
    Gary
    Hi Gary,

The shop is in Sarver, PA. Just north of Pittsburgh (center of the universe...just ask anybody from here.) :-)

The jury is still out on the livelihood aspect of this, but Christmas is less damaging to the wallet given I have 3 sons (ages 8, 11, 13) to whom I've introduced to RPGs and miniatures gaming.

Also, 6 gamers (D&D players) are in the store now and all say 'hi and thanks' too!

Thanks again,
    Rich
    I have a sneaking suspicion that I may become the 'Diaglo' of 3.5E.

"If I reject Jedi situational ethics, does that make me a Sith?"

Stuff on Ebay: http://stores.ebay.com/Blue-Star-Games

Doing my best to annoy people: http://www.cafepress.com/sk/rbgard

Yes, I was infatuated with Ms. Frost.

Guide (Lvl 11)

° Ignore haakon1
    Quote Originally Posted by Treebore
    Lost Caverns of Tsojanth, and all the other "killer" dungeons.
    Tsojcanth was a "killer"? I thought I was just being a scaredy pants about it. Still we made it through alive, after some Resurrections.

Father of the Game

° Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by rgard
    Hi Gary,

The shop is in Sarver, PA. Just north of Pittsburgh (center of the universe...just ask anybody from here.) :-)

The jury is still out on the livelihood aspect of this, but Christmas is less damaging to the wallet given I have 3 sons (ages 8, 11, 13) to whom I've introduced to RPGs and miniatures gaming.

Also, 6 gamers (D&D players) are in the store now and all say 'hi and thanks' too!

Thanks again,
    Rich
    Okay!

All gamers in the vicinity of Sarver, PA, you know where to shop

Your sons are all of perfect age for gaming in ganeral and RPGs in particular. Just keep them as far as possible from the computrer...

And give my regards to the regulars at your place. sure wish Lake Geneva had a game shop again.

Cheers,
    Gary

Father of the Game

° Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by haakon1
    Tsojcanth was a "killer"? I thought I was just being a scaredy pants about it. Still we made it through alive, after some Resurrections.
    That's not a bad thing!

Mordie and company hoarded wish items for just such occasions, used them frequently

Cheers,
    Gary

Gallant (Lvl 3)

° Ignore Ron
    Colonel,

What about the initial part of the Temple of Elemental Evil, up to the end of the moathouse? It's one of my favorite memory of a game, although it strikes me as quite diferent from your other books. Was it intentional to expand the kind of modules offered?

Best wishes,
    Ron

Father of the Game

° Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron
    Colonel,

What about the initial part of the Temple of Elemental Evil, up to the end of the moathouse? It's one of my favorite memory of a game, although it strikes me as quite diferent from your other books. Was it intentional to expand the kind of modules offered?

Best wishes,
    Ron
    Howdy Ron,

Along with the Village of Hommlet module, Temple of Elemental Evil was what I planned as part of an ongoing demi-campaign series, something regarding Stoink to be the third, and then wherever my own group's play led for a concluding offering. As things shook out though I never did get to the latter part...

Cheers,
    Gary

• Closed Thread
    Page 40 of 49 FirstFirst ... 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 LastLast