Wildwood Red in Tooth and Claw [IC]





+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 29 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 284
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

    Voadam's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Burke
    Posts
    17,185

    Ý Ignore Voadam

    Wildwood Red in Tooth and Claw [IC]

    RG
    Info
    OOC
    DM only monster link
    IC new
    From behind his mask Haiel gazed into the pool. Within the depths of the water arose the image of a great meteor pulsing with eldritch energies and speeding through the depths of the void. He lifted his spear up high and gestured with ritual motions. The rune carved stones surrounding the natural pool flared to life and divine power flowed through his frame. With a great effort he plunged the spear into the bound form of a black dragon, piercing its heart and sacrificing the magical beast as the culmination of a ritual. He turned to the pool and immediately struck the image calling his power in time with the released energy of the ritual. Swarming black forms covered the image briefly and it disappeared from view. In the night sky above the Forge a small new light appeared.

    Pleased with his work, Haiel returned his gaze to the pool and with a sweeping gesture changed the image from the emptiness of the void. A pack of gnolls raced through the jungle after some javelinas, suddenly a vine lashed out to snag the last gnoll and wrapped around his neck, yanking him off his feet to have the life strangled out of him.

    The scene shifted to a green dragon flying through a massive forest after a great elk. The dragon followed the elk around a curve in the game trail only to be ensnared by almost invisible strands of webbing. As the dragon struggled to rip itself free a huge spider descended from the massive trees on a silken line, venom dripping. It pounced, the strong mandibles piercing the young dragonís scaly hide again and again, the venom quickly slowing the green beastís struggles.

    The scene shifted again to a great armored beetle trundling along a forest floor until with a great roar an enormous bear with bony spike projections leaped upon it with claws that ripped through the giant insectís carapace and dragged it into a crushing hug. Despite the spraying of a burning chemical defense the beetle was quickly overcome by the bear. Another gesture and badgers could be seen burrowing into the earthen floor of an abandoned tower to get at a buried waspís nest, the bones of elves lying nearby.

    With another gesture the scene shifted to that of a human and lizardman moving through the forest carefully in pursuit of a grazing doe, unaware that they were heading directly towards the path of a big hungry bear.

    Haiel smiled and gestured, the scene changing to a battlefield where black armored men and magic users fell alongside trolls and giants to the unexpected magical potency of the forces they had thought to catch unawares. A pair of brass scaled dragons fought alongside a host of summoned angels and celestial creatures in support of a group of knights and holy priests, cutting through the dark forces like a scythe. Haielís eye fell on one dark warrior activating psionic tattoos to fend off the attacks of an archon. Haiel called out and the ravens that had gathered near the battlefield to pick at the dead rose in a cawing cloud to swarm around the warrior obscuring him from sight. They dispersed quickly revealing that the warrior was no longer on the battlefield.
    Last edited by Voadam; Tuesday, 21st November, 2006 at 08:19 PM.
    PBP games:

    Death in Freeport IC OOC Adversaries RG Info
    Wildwood IC Old IC II OOC RG Info Old IC Monsters
    Dwarven Vengeance Monsters

    ToEE Sir Merrick OOC IC Old IC
    RToEE Inquisitor Miltiades OOC IC Old IC
    Ptolus Longcoat Garn OOC
    Against the Giants Voadam IC OOC
    Pool of Radiance Kordunn IC Combat OOC Info
    Invasion of Mori Snargle fiendish troll rogue IC OOC
    Red Hand of DoomSir Conrad Cyr Tiefling Soulknife


    Old Games

 

  • #2
    Registered User
    Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

    Voadam's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Burke
    Posts
    17,185

    Ý Ignore Voadam

    New Seed

    Voadam:
    In the Wildwood forest Noni and Tur look up from their stalking of a deer (Noni in the lead) as a swarm of blackbirds condenses, swirls, and disperses revealing Alan Keep, a disoriented man in light chain armor shaking his head to clear it. With a roar a black shape rises up to stand on its hind legs, Keepís appearance disturbed a bear who is now exposing gleaming teeth and sharp claws.

    Initiative!

    Keep 22
    Tur 18
    Noni 15
    Bear 14
    Deer 9

    Keep is 10í from the bear,

    Noni and Tur are 70í from Keep, 75 feet from the bear and in a different vector 50í from the deer.

    The terrain is heavily wooded providing light cover.
    Last edited by Voadam; Thursday, 11th May, 2006 at 05:51 PM.
    PBP games:

    Death in Freeport IC OOC Adversaries RG Info
    Wildwood IC Old IC II OOC RG Info Old IC Monsters
    Dwarven Vengeance Monsters

    ToEE Sir Merrick OOC IC Old IC
    RToEE Inquisitor Miltiades OOC IC Old IC
    Ptolus Longcoat Garn OOC
    Against the Giants Voadam IC OOC
    Pool of Radiance Kordunn IC Combat OOC Info
    Invasion of Mori Snargle fiendish troll rogue IC OOC
    Red Hand of DoomSir Conrad Cyr Tiefling Soulknife


    Old Games

  • #3
    Registered User
    Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

    Voadam's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Burke
    Posts
    17,185

    Ý Ignore Voadam

    Recreation from caches 1

    Voadam:
    Bear!

    http://www.painetworks.com/photos/fg/fg0436.JPG

    Watus:
    Tur growls slightly under his breath, understanding immediately what is expected of him in this situation, and though it contradicts common sense and offends every fiber of his being, he chokes up his grip on the javelin, closes with the bear, and throws.

    The ways of his new tribe may be mad, but at least they give him plenty of opportunity to do battle.

    ooc: this is assuming that Mr. Keep doesn't enter into melee with the bear. If, however, he should prove to be deranged, Tur will drop the javelin, unlimber his axe, and move 30 feet looking for a clear lane to charge the bear in the next round, if possible.

    ooc: move 30' toward bear and throw javelin +3 ranged (1d6+3, 30ft.)

    Fenris:
    Noni looked askance at the situation. His immediate thought is that the Hunter sent a poor prey for the bear as this would be over soon. Survival of the fittest. This was Nature's concern not his. But he remembered Zallon's teachings and his instructions and despite his reservations, despite what instinct told him, inspite of what the Hunter had inadvertantly instilled within him, Noni raised his bow and let loose an arrow at the bear.

    Endovior:
    ooc: hang on a minute... I've been reading some of the Oathbound material (the free demos available online)... aren't new arrivals dazed for 1d4 rounds following arrival?

    Confused from the sudden change in location, Alan is caught quite off-guard.

    "What in the Nine Hells?"

    (If Alan is, in fact, not dazed, he then proceeds to curse the obviously hostile bear, create his Mind Blade, take a Total Defense action, and take a 5 foot step away from the bear. If he is dazed, then naturally enough, he proceeds to do nothing.)
    Last edited by Voadam; Thursday, 11th May, 2006 at 05:54 PM.
    PBP games:

    Death in Freeport IC OOC Adversaries RG Info
    Wildwood IC Old IC II OOC RG Info Old IC Monsters
    Dwarven Vengeance Monsters

    ToEE Sir Merrick OOC IC Old IC
    RToEE Inquisitor Miltiades OOC IC Old IC
    Ptolus Longcoat Garn OOC
    Against the Giants Voadam IC OOC
    Pool of Radiance Kordunn IC Combat OOC Info
    Invasion of Mori Snargle fiendish troll rogue IC OOC
    Red Hand of DoomSir Conrad Cyr Tiefling Soulknife


    Old Games

  • #4
    Registered User
    Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

    Voadam's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Burke
    Posts
    17,185

    Ý Ignore Voadam

    Round 1

    Voadam:
    Round 1

    Keep is disoriented but realizes the roaring beast rising up near him is a threat. Calling upon Dark Forces, he hurls a curse at the bear who gives a reflexive sneeze as the magic falls upon him. Enraged further the bear lets out a larger roar. Keep takes a step back activating a pulse of psionic energy at his fist as a glowing spike of energy coalesces. He crouches ready to dodge the angry animal.

    With a snarl and going against his better judgment Tur rushes forward and hurls a javelin at the beast. The missile soars across the distance to pierce the foliage but bounce off the bear's thick hide, further enraging the beast.

    Despite his own reservations Noni draws an arrow and lets fly at the bear but the shot goes wide.

    However hampered by the curse, the bear rushes forward swinging an eldritch force hampered claw, which Keep dodges nimbly.




    ooc I'm not using the dazed rule.

    Curse DC 13 bear 8, Tur 16 miss, Noni 8 miss, bear 14 miss.

    Keep in melee range of bear, Tur 45' away, Noni 75'

    Watus:
    Tur rips his axe from its sling as he closes with the great beast. A bitter taste fills his mouth as the bear roars, the sound muffled by the rushing of the blood in his ears. The smell of the thing fills his mouth, his nostrils flare, his pupils dilate, and he knows the blood-frenzy is near.

    Gods, but he loves this part.

    ooc: close another 30' and draw greataxe. Next round: rage & charge!

    Endovior:
    Still maintaining a strong defense, Alan makes a test attack on the bear's defenses.

    (Attacking the bear while fighting defensively)

    Fenris:
    Noni smoothly draws another arrow, nocks it, draws it and lets it fly towards the bear again.
    PBP games:

    Death in Freeport IC OOC Adversaries RG Info
    Wildwood IC Old IC II OOC RG Info Old IC Monsters
    Dwarven Vengeance Monsters

    ToEE Sir Merrick OOC IC Old IC
    RToEE Inquisitor Miltiades OOC IC Old IC
    Ptolus Longcoat Garn OOC
    Against the Giants Voadam IC OOC
    Pool of Radiance Kordunn IC Combat OOC Info
    Invasion of Mori Snargle fiendish troll rogue IC OOC
    Red Hand of DoomSir Conrad Cyr Tiefling Soulknife


    Old Games

  • #5
    Registered User
    Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

    Voadam's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Burke
    Posts
    17,185

    Ý Ignore Voadam

    Bear Concluded

    Voadam:
    Round 2

    Keep maintains a defensive stance but strikes out with his psionic blade scoring first blood and eliciting a roar of anger from the bear.

    The lizardman Tur bounds forward drawing his iron axe, the sound of his own beating pulse beginning to fill his ears as he maneuvers to be in position to charge as a true warrior, anticipating the clash of arms with the beast.

    Noni calmly draws another arrow and sights at the bear now engaged in melee with Keep. The arrow flies through the cover above Keep's shoulder to graze the bear doing only superficial damage that does not pierce the beast's thick hide.

    The bear roars and lashes out at Keep. The warrior nimbly dodges the bear's swiping claws but is caught as the beast's jaws sink into his shoulder and cause a ripping wound.

    ooc
    Keep 18 hit 3 damage to bear. Tur 15' away ready to rage and in position to charge. Noni 16 (cover and firing into melee apply) miss, 75 feet away. Bear 14, 11, miss, natural 20 no crit, 4 damage to Keep.

    Watus:
    The smell of fresh blood fills his nostrils, and Tur's vision goes red. Swinging the enormous axe above his head, he charges into the fray.

    ooc: rage & charge: greataxe +8 melee (1d12+6); AC 12 (next round AC 14); Str 20, Con 18; HP 16.

    Endovior:
    Alan curses (without Naming Powers), and continues his tactic. He realises that he is, on the whole, a better combatent then the bear... in this situation, so long as he keeps his defenses up, he can only be hit by luck. Furthermore, aid is forthcoming... so this should not be a problem.

    Fenris:
    Noni will move towards the bear, making an arc off to the right so as to have a better shot at the bear as he draws and fires again.

    Voadam:
    Round 3

    Keep grits against the pain but feels that his current tactics are sound if the ones coming are in fact aid against the beast, he continues to duck and doge and swipe at the bear with his mindblade but the bear pulls back out of the short psionic weapon's reach as Keep strikes.

    The blood pounding to a crescendo in his ears Tur rages and charges into the fray with the big mammal. With a great overhead swing the iron of the axe bites deep into the beast's neck spraying blood in a fountain as muscle, fat, and bone are severed. A roaring cry from the bear is cut short as it tumbles over and bleeds profusely into the ground, the axe buried deep in flesh and bone.

    Noni moves forward to get in a shot from an oblique angle, but holds his arrow when he sees the bear fall.

    ooc

    Spoiler: Keep 14 miss, Tur natural 20 confirm 25, crit 41 damage!

    Reminder, Keep does not speak Dover yet.

    Voadam:
    Now that Keep is getting his bearings somewhat his senses fill with the world around him. The colors seem crisper than he is used to seeing, the sounds more vibrant, even his senses of smell and touch seem more acute. Breathing heavily after his exertions the air tastes better and feels more invigorating. Keep believes he can even make out the sharp tang of the bear's spilled blood as it lies in a beam of sunlight that makes it through the tall canopy of the thick woods here.

    Watus:
    Panting heavily, the large reptilian looms over the fallen bear, giving the newcomer a cold and steady look, his slitted yellow eyes betraying no hint of emotion. He plants his foot on the bear's head and with a grunt, extracts his enormous axe from its steaming carcass.

    Dropping the outsized weapon, he steps over the bear, toward Keep, and draws an oddly curved knife from his belt. He pauses for a moment, uncomfortably close, testing the knife's sharpness with his scaly thumb and giving Keep what he can only assume is an appraising look.

    Abruptly, he turns back to the fallen beast and, growling something over his shoulder in an unfamiliar language*, drops to his knees and guts it from stem to stern.


    * "Welcome to the Forge, warmblood."

    ooc: 41 damage? Holy smokes! Tur will nonchalantly prepare the carcass to be carried back to the Dover village.

    Fenris:
    Noni will calmly walk over and search the area behind the bear for his arrows or arrowheads. They are too precisou to be left if it can be helped. Once he has finished searching he will approach the stranger and gesture for him to follow.
    PBP games:

    Death in Freeport IC OOC Adversaries RG Info
    Wildwood IC Old IC II OOC RG Info Old IC Monsters
    Dwarven Vengeance Monsters

    ToEE Sir Merrick OOC IC Old IC
    RToEE Inquisitor Miltiades OOC IC Old IC
    Ptolus Longcoat Garn OOC
    Against the Giants Voadam IC OOC
    Pool of Radiance Kordunn IC Combat OOC Info
    Invasion of Mori Snargle fiendish troll rogue IC OOC
    Red Hand of DoomSir Conrad Cyr Tiefling Soulknife


    Old Games

  • #6
    Registered User
    Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

    Voadam's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Burke
    Posts
    17,185

    Ý Ignore Voadam

    Through the woods

    Endovior:
    The immediate danger having passes, Alan puts away his soulblade. With a flick of the wrist, it is gone. Although he does not comprehend what he has just heard, he does recognize the gesture, and responds accordingly, beginning to follow the two hunters. As he walks, he attempts to communicate, in the common tongue of the Flanaess.

    "Greetings, strangers! I am Alan Keep, an officer of the Horned Society, in service to Iuz the Evil. I seem to have been hit by some sort of teleportation effect, which has taken me from my rightful place of duty... could you tell me, where on Oerth this is?"

    When that fails, Alan will repeat himself in the Orcish and Gnollish tongues... before giving up and following the pair the remaining distance to the village.

    Watus:
    In a moment, Tur has felled a couple of saplings and lashed them together into a rude A-frame to which he secures the field-dressed carcass. Dragging it back to the village, so as to leave Noni's bow free, he listens to the stranger's jibber-jabber, uncomprehendingly.

    After some time, he pauses a moment in his toil to raise a single, upright finger to his toothy maw and blow a sibilant "shhhhh", hoping the stranger understands that by this he means for him to be silent. He gestures out into the woods, hoping to indicate that the Wildlands are not a place for frivolous conversation. Out here, bears are the least of their worries.

    After surveying their surroundings for a moment, he grunts in satisfaction, and resumes the long slog back to the village. He wonders if the Scholar King will understand a word of this unusual stranger's language.

    Endovior:
    Alan looks around... and ceases his attempt to communicate.

    Hopefully, a village or something will be encountered soon.

    Voadam:
    Noni is able to recover one arrow intact, the other one has a damaged shaft but the head is still intact.

    Fenris:
    Upon hearing his speech in gnoll Noni turns to Alan:

    "Alan Keep, I do not know what Oerth is. You are in Wildwood. As our friend Tur here has indicated you would do well to draw less attention to us. More hunts in this wood than bears. We will go to the village. They will help explain things for you" and Noni continues onto the dover village.

    Endovior:
    Alan responds in Gnoll.

    "You... don't know what Oerth is?"

    He remains silent for the remainder of the journey, a shocked expression on his face. Clearly, this is rather more then some minor teleportation effect. He considers the possibilities grimly as he continues on.

    Voadam:
    Knowing the blood and entrails they left behind from the field dressed bear could attract scavengers Tur and Noni press on quietly towards the village as soon as the carrying preparations can be made. The trio travels throughout the forest, Noni leading the group along game trails sufficient to accomodate the quickly made travois for the most part, though there are times when assistance is required in carrying the heavy carcass of the bear. Breaks are short as Noni and Tur do not want the blood of the kill to attract scavenging predators.

    Despite his wound and the daunting implications of Noni's statement, Keep feels physically invigorated. As part of him grows quiet considering the possibilities of what happened, another part feels infused with the feeling of life pulsing through his veins.

    It is a long trek as the village hunters regularly travel hours out in search of prey. Thankfully the trek back is mostly uninterrupted by anything more than the presence of watching and calling birds and the loud crash of squirrels bounding in bursts across dry leaves. The journey gives Keep time to think and gather his thoughts. At one point Noni spots a cross trail with the fresh tracks of a large boar that weighs more than twice as much as the bear by his estimate based on the size and depth of the markings.

    Endovior:
    Barring a good reason to do otherwise, Alan continues on to the village with the two hunters.
    PBP games:

    Death in Freeport IC OOC Adversaries RG Info
    Wildwood IC Old IC II OOC RG Info Old IC Monsters
    Dwarven Vengeance Monsters

    ToEE Sir Merrick OOC IC Old IC
    RToEE Inquisitor Miltiades OOC IC Old IC
    Ptolus Longcoat Garn OOC
    Against the Giants Voadam IC OOC
    Pool of Radiance Kordunn IC Combat OOC Info
    Invasion of Mori Snargle fiendish troll rogue IC OOC
    Red Hand of DoomSir Conrad Cyr Tiefling Soulknife


    Old Games

  • #7
    Registered User
    Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

    Voadam's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Burke
    Posts
    17,185

    Ý Ignore Voadam

    Meeting the Dover

    Voadam:
    The first signs of the village are when the barking sounds of the dover language reach the party's ears as a small group of Dover hail them. A group of Four dover scented the party and heard the dragging of the travois. One offers to help Tur with dragging the bear, while others ask about the new stranger and your hunt. One offers to run ahead to the village to alert the Scholar King about the stranger and bounds off. Their language is a combination of growls, yips, barks, and howls.

    The dover stand a little shorter than men on average and appear as large german sheperd-like canine humanoids. Thick fur covers their bodies and varies in color from blacks to greys to various browns. In contrast to their delicately structured hands and dexterous digits, the doversí feet are very similar to a wolfís paw. Except for their bipedal posture and clawless hands they appear very animalistic with the jaws and teeth of lupine predators.

    These four had been on an errand for Zallon gathering certain herbs the druid requested.

    Fenris:
    Noni will greet the dovers in their language.

    "Tell Zallon we have found another newcomer in the forest. Though we lost the prey we sought, he helped us bring back what we did, though Tur was mostly responsible for the kill"

    Watus:
    Tur grunts at this, but says nothing, stoically refusing any help with the travois.

    Endovior:
    Alan speaks to Noni, in Gnoll (of course).

    "Who are these beings? Friends of yours, I assume?"

    Fenris:
    Noni replies to Alan in gnoll:

    "These are the Dover. They find and look after people who, arrive here."

    Voadam:
    Sentelle, an apprentice of Zallon's, nods to Noni and sends one of the other Dover to run ahead and tell the druid.

    Dolph and Tatel, the two Dovers who offered to aid Tur shrug goodnaturedly at the gruff lizardman's stoicism. "You are one of us now Tur," Dolph says with a smile "We're happy to help out with such a labor if you want." but does not press the matter after that. "This should be a good story," Tatel says "a newcomer and some bear meat."

    A small triangular blaze marks the official border of the Dover village territory and there are maintained trails that make progress much easier. Noni and Tur note the hidden tree blinds that can provide archers a high platform to trarget creatures or invaders entering the Dover territory or provide a secure area to flee too or to hide in if needed.

    Soon the village proper comes into view with its wooden structures organized and divided by function, sleeping, crafting, food preparation, and storage areas all in their places. The sounds of Dover villagers going about their activities is punctuated by the hails for the returning hunters.

    The party heads to the King's audience hall where he and the Queen reside. In quiet attendance on the king as an adviser is the black furred druid Zallon.

    The King warmly bids Noni and Tur welcome and would hear your tale, his eyes show a deep interest as he evaluates the newcomer. The Queen, as always, looks more feral and predatory. Her view of the newcomer seems more a probing of threats and weaknesses than the intellectual curiosity displayed by the King.

    Watus:
    The last to enter the hall, Tur stays toward the back and allows others to do the talking as he quietly works the kinks out of his tired muscles.

    Voadam:
    The king listens to Noni tell the tale, drinking up every detail.

    When Noni is finished he commends Tur on his kill and the two of them for rescuing a newcomer.

    Speaking in gnoll he addresses Keep.

    "Alan Keep of the Horned Society, I am King Alagor chief of the Silber Dover territory. Know that you are in the land known as Wildwood on the world of the Forge. Divine lords of the Forge reach out to other worlds and pluck creatures, people, and places to seed this world for their own purposes. Lord Haiel the Hunter, the Blade of the Green, stocks Wildwood with both predators and prey from a thousand worlds. Most seeds whether individuals or nations fall to predators shortly after arrival as the Land is full of beasts and dragons ever on the lookout for victims. However, those who adapt to the wilderness may thrive under the laws of tooth and claw."

    "Within the forests marked by our blaze the Dover people are the top predators and our territory is a haven for our people as we maintain dominance over our hunting grounds. There are many beasts and various peoples within Wildwood to learn about from bears and gnolls to elves and dragons. If you are willing to abide under my authority, observe our laws, and work to the good of this village I offer you the hand of friendship and an opportunity to learn of the Land you now reside in and how you can make a place for yourself in it."

    "I am interested in hearing your tale of who you are, the things that you have done and can do. Noni mentioned you created a spike from your fist with which you fought the bear. . . "
    PBP games:

    Death in Freeport IC OOC Adversaries RG Info
    Wildwood IC Old IC II OOC RG Info Old IC Monsters
    Dwarven Vengeance Monsters

    ToEE Sir Merrick OOC IC Old IC
    RToEE Inquisitor Miltiades OOC IC Old IC
    Ptolus Longcoat Garn OOC
    Against the Giants Voadam IC OOC
    Pool of Radiance Kordunn IC Combat OOC Info
    Invasion of Mori Snargle fiendish troll rogue IC OOC
    Red Hand of DoomSir Conrad Cyr Tiefling Soulknife


    Old Games

  • #8
    Registered User
    Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

    Voadam's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Burke
    Posts
    17,185

    Ý Ignore Voadam

    King's Offer and Commission

    Endovior:
    At that obvious cue, Alan produces a mind blade... he holds it out point downwards, clearly displaying it as a blade similar to a shortsword, held in the same manner as one would any other blade.

    "Yes... this is what is known to my people as a 'mind blade'. How it works is... difficult to explain with this language... most of the terms fall under the general word for 'magic', which is not an accurate description at all... it has to do with mind powers, and not magic."

    Thinking, Alan switches to Common.

    "Perhaps you understand this, my native tongue?"

    Voadam:
    The king nods his words shifting to common "As king of the Silber Dovers I know magic to be able to speak with any sentient being in their own language. If it allows you to speak more completely continue in this tongue."

    After listening closely to Keep's tales and descriptions Alagor talks briefly with his queen and the druid and recieving their council.

    Turning back to the party the king says in gnoll "Keep, as King I offer you my hand in friendship, think over whether you will accept and wish to stay here or if you wish to leave and strike off on your own."

    Switching to Dover as he turns to Tur and Noni he says, "You two are to be commended on bringing a warrior seed who may enrich our community. You two have proven a good team, will you accept my charge to teach this new seed and oversee him as a newcomer? He will need to learn the ways of our hunting life. Noni, as you speak a common language with him, will you teach him our tongue?"

    Queen Celon leans forward at this point and says "And he will need to be instructed that threats to this village and its people are hunted down whether within the village or not."

    The druid Zallon quietly observes, watching reactions.

    Watus:
    Tur merely nods, having expected this charge from the moment he first spotted the birds in the wood. He shifts his weight, preparing to leave, and looks Alan Keep up and down. He had not understood most of the conversation with the Scholar King, but it was clear that the witchblade bore watching. Whether the king trusts him or no, anyone who can produce such a weapon from nothing bears close watching indeed.

    Inwardly, he smiles at the Queen's words. She is a truly impressive woman. Especially for a mammal.

    Endovior:
    (Alan does indeed explain, and he tells the king in general about the mental powers of a Soulknife, and about the magical abilities he posesses as a Hexblade... in Common, which nobody else in the room understands.)

    After hearing the king's offer, Alan responds.

    "Although I appreciate your hospitality, I am must return to my own lands, and my own people. Iuz do not look kindly upon defecters... especially from within the ranks of the officers of the Horned Society. If I do not return soon, assassins will surely be sent out. Even those who have fled to other planes have been caught and killed before, and although I know not where this 'Forge' lies within the Great Circle, I doubt that it lies beyond the influence of Old Wicked. Could you perhaps provide me with directions to a Wizard of sufficient power to send me back to my own world?"

    Voadam:
    In common the King responds.

    "Many seeds seek a quick return to their homes and families. It is no small thing to accomplish."

    "The epics of lore say that travel magic that works on other worlds does not allow escape from the Forge. There are tales though of those who journeyed to the citadels of the seven divine overlords, overcoming great hazards and challenges to bathe in their power and obtain the components for a Key that can open the dimensional barriers for the crafter of the Key. Once such a Key is forged the crafter, it is said, is then able to use such magics normally. Few native magic users learn spells that do not operate here, so finding a wizard with such knowledge after crafting a Key is not an easy matter. The elves and dragons are best known for their magical might, though goblins, fey, and hags delve into the arcane as well."

    "The citadels are all remote and well defended. Wildwood is a vast continent of wilderness that holds the ruins of thousands of civilizations over run by nature. Tales conflict about where Haiel's citadel lies. Some say it is within the fastness of the jungles to the south where life teems the thickest. Others say it lies at the bottom of one of the oceans bordering Wildwood. One tale says it lies on an island within the center of a mountain of fire so that he has access to earth, air, fire and water. Another places it at the heart of the oldest forest in the center of Wildwood where druidic ley lines of power converge."

    "It is also said that much as the barriers keep in seeds and Forge-born, they keep the Forge hidden from the views of offworlders. While some have come to the Forge on their own or as sent by others, the tales about them say they came in blind, not knowing where they would arrive and with no contact back out after entry despite mighty magics and powers brought to bear."

    Endovior:
    "Hmm... that sounds quite difficult... but I suppose that if the Forge is protected thus against magical travel, then I am indeed beyond the reach of Iuz. And if I'm not in danger of pursuit... then what reason have I to return?"

    He considers this a moment, then smiles.

    "All things considered, I'm probably better off, now that I'm out from under the shadow of Old Wicked. Certainly more likely to live a full life! Very well, then. I accept your offer."

    Voadam:
    As Tur accepts the King's charge he nods approvingly and turns his attention to Noni, awaiting his response.

    Fenris:
    Noni replies to both the King anf the Queen with a simple "As you command"
    PBP games:

    Death in Freeport IC OOC Adversaries RG Info
    Wildwood IC Old IC II OOC RG Info Old IC Monsters
    Dwarven Vengeance Monsters

    ToEE Sir Merrick OOC IC Old IC
    RToEE Inquisitor Miltiades OOC IC Old IC
    Ptolus Longcoat Garn OOC
    Against the Giants Voadam IC OOC
    Pool of Radiance Kordunn IC Combat OOC Info
    Invasion of Mori Snargle fiendish troll rogue IC OOC
    Red Hand of DoomSir Conrad Cyr Tiefling Soulknife


    Old Games

  • #9
    Registered User
    Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

    Voadam's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Burke
    Posts
    17,185

    Ý Ignore Voadam

    Party and Goblin Offer

    Voadam:
    The king announces Keepís acceptance and the druid Zallon nods and offers to heal Keepís wound. His druidic invocation is more than sufficient to restore the damage inflicted by the bearís claws.

    That night there is a celebration and ritual of welcoming for the new seed who has accepted the Kingís hospitality. Each member of the village is invited to view and take in the scent of the newcomer who has permission to reside within Dover territory. The food is rich and the community comes together to socialize.

    The overwhelming majority of the villagers are Dover, but there is a distinct minority of non-Dover. There are elves being fostered by the Scholar King. There are Dover who fell to beasts but were reincarnated into new forms by Zallonís druidic magic. There are other seeds who have been adopted by the village such as the Ilonis named Cursed Darkmantle, a tall thin elf-life being with striking tattoos on his gray spotted skin and false eye patterns tattooed where most humanoids have eyes. Despite his name Cursed is a generally friendly and joyful being, although the fact that he appears to see people without ever looking directly at them is a bit disconcerting. The Scholar King makes a point of introducing Keep and Darkmantle, letting Keep know that Darkmantle is a practitioner of arcane magics.

    The Dover enjoy storytelling and epic poetry and there are tales told of great beasts, hunts, and noble quests through the wilderness. One Dover tells a tale of hunting beasts downriver on hills near the goblin territory with sealed doorways and strange marks on them.

    One of the elves tells a tragic love tale of a wizard sentinel betrayed by one of his own apprentices who let in marauding werewolves so that he might take the wizardís wife. The wizard and the outpost occupants were slain but the wizardís spirit rose to strike down the betrayer and drive off the marauders. His tower is now abandoned by the elves as it is haunted by the ghosts of the tragedy.

    The Scholar King tells the tale of the Goblinís Return with their great hordes of crazed warriors and claims on the lands herein. He tells of the Queenís leadership in organizing the Dover to repulse and then strike back against the goblins with their allies the elves. Old battles come to life and concludes with the negotiated peace the King worked out that keeps the goblins claims to their side of the river and enriched the Dover.

    Zallon talks to Tur about the dead bear as he is interested in acquiring a tooth or claw as well as the heart of the beast.

    After the celebration Noni takes up the task of teaching Keep the Dover hunting life and the Dover language through their mutual knowledge of the barking Gnoll tongue. Keep finds that his mind feels sharper and new languages and skills seem to come easier to him. Sooner than he thought possible he not only learns but masters the growling speech of the Dover.

    As time passes a new light appears in the night sky. Among the host of constellations that are the background for the Forgeís two moons a new star has appeared and grows brighter each night.

    Dover life goes on with the needs of hunting and maintaining dominance over Dover territory. The party patrols Dover territory and goes out on hunting expeditions, sometimes successful, sometimes not. Hunting parties journey along the river, searching for watering animals, or journey into the deep forest following game trails.

    A goblin trading expedition comes to the village led by one Tefan Doverspeak. They pack in raw stone suitable for crafting, fine worked clothing done with bone needles, and provide some minor magical items that had been commissioned on their last trip. The biggest Dover export are in hides, skins, and certain parts of animals and beasts that Doverspeak seeks out on behalf of goblin spellcasters. It is said that Doverspeak also has been discretely asking about warriors who are willing to do some work in goblin territory in return for goblin goods. The goblin territory is more than a dayís journey downstream and, by treaty after the previous conflict, restricted to the other side of the river.

    D20Dazza:
    Cursed buys another round of drinks and addresses his close friends, friends he has made over the last few months living amongst the Dover "So have you heard? That trader Tefan Doverspeak is looking for help in a little raid into goblin lands" he says a grin spreading across his face "Could be some fun eh? I mean Dover life is interesting but it can get a little ahhhh boring" the pale humanoid says with a chuckle and a sigh thinking of all the effort he'd lately put into trying to romance the local Dover women - unsuccessfully.

    Watus:
    Being the only reptilian in the village, Tur tends to stick out a bit. Being a foot taller than nearly everyone else and having no particular talent for discretion doesn't help much either, so it is almost certain that Doverspeak will have noticed Tur watching him all afternoon, sizing him up.

    It should come as no surprise when Tur approaches him in a lull in the goblin's business, and crouches down to eye level. Being who he is, Tur gets right to business: "You are looking for warriors. I would know why."

    ooc: Tur has a great deal of respect for the nature priest and freely gives him whatever parts of the bear he desires.

    Voadam:
    Grinning a wide smile the goblin trader says "Greetings big scaly one! It is family matter. Younger brothers rose up killed parents, eldest brother, almost kill me. Took over family rock mine. I need warriors kill brothers and scheming cousins so take back mine. Brothers no want trade with Dover, only war. Chief say is family matter who in charge of mine and what do with stone. If I not take back mine this last shipment of trade rock for Doverpeople from mine. I trader, not hunter, not warrior. Need warriors." He smiles cheerily up at Tur showing many teeth. "You have big axe. Interested?"
    PBP games:

    Death in Freeport IC OOC Adversaries RG Info
    Wildwood IC Old IC II OOC RG Info Old IC Monsters
    Dwarven Vengeance Monsters

    ToEE Sir Merrick OOC IC Old IC
    RToEE Inquisitor Miltiades OOC IC Old IC
    Ptolus Longcoat Garn OOC
    Against the Giants Voadam IC OOC
    Pool of Radiance Kordunn IC Combat OOC Info
    Invasion of Mori Snargle fiendish troll rogue IC OOC
    Red Hand of DoomSir Conrad Cyr Tiefling Soulknife


    Old Games

  • #10
    Registered User
    Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

    Voadam's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Burke
    Posts
    17,185

    Ý Ignore Voadam

    Group forms merc band

    Watus:
    Tur stares at this goblin-creature for a few moments, unblinking - letting his question hang in the air. He has discovered that these mammals tend to find his attention somewhat unnerving.

    "My kin do not consider it dishonorable to fight for money. So long as they are not insulted by the amount that is offered."

    He levels the full force of his gaze on the diminuative trader, leaning slightly forward.

    Voadam:
    "Excellent, excellent!" his smile goes past what you think is reasonable for most creature's mouths. He eyes you up and down, eyes lingering on the iron of your axe. "I know how much the Dover Villagers despise haggling. Just want one price decide yes or no. I offer 200 gp in goblin trade goods total for group of at least four. To be split if more answer want to go. From last war figure four from village should be able take care of brothers." He looks Tur up and down. "Trade goods or credit with my uncle. He knows dark magic and can craft. He backs me, but not fronts, after brother abandoned prenticeship. Interested? Know others interested?"

    Watus:
    "Perhaps," Tur growls, rising to his full height. This thing's grinning face is beginning to bother him. He is beginning to suspect that this creature's word is not to be fully trusted, but the offer is tempting nevertheless.

    "I will return before Shroud."

    He spins on his heel and leaves in search of Noni.

    Watus:
    Pushing open the tavern door, Tur pauses a moment on the lintel, scanning the common room. Finding Noni and the others in a corner, he enters, letting the door swing closed behind him.

    He strides purposefully across the floor, and, looming above the table where Noni, Cursed and the witchblade sit, he announces: "I need you to help me kill some goblins."

    After some prompting, he relates the details of the trader's offer.

    Fenris:
    Noni listens to the offer and says. "We need to ensure that our absence is permitted by the King and Queen. Though I am sure they will agree."

    Endovior:
    Alan considers this.

    "Hmm... sounds reasonable."

    D20Dazza:
    "I concur, in fact I was just suggesting that we should look into the merchants offer further" Cursed says to the lizard-like man "I'm finding our current surrounds a little stifling and wouldn't mind testing the waters elsewhere. Should we go and see the King and Queen and get their blessing before signing on with the merchant?"
    PBP games:

    Death in Freeport IC OOC Adversaries RG Info
    Wildwood IC Old IC II OOC RG Info Old IC Monsters
    Dwarven Vengeance Monsters

    ToEE Sir Merrick OOC IC Old IC
    RToEE Inquisitor Miltiades OOC IC Old IC
    Ptolus Longcoat Garn OOC
    Against the Giants Voadam IC OOC
    Pool of Radiance Kordunn IC Combat OOC Info
    Invasion of Mori Snargle fiendish troll rogue IC OOC
    Red Hand of DoomSir Conrad Cyr Tiefling Soulknife


    Old Games

  • + Log in or register to post
    Page 1 of 29 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. Wildwood Red in Tooth and Claw [OOC]
      By Voadam in forum Talking the Talk
      Replies: 648
      Last Post: Tuesday, 2nd February, 2010, 08:21 AM
    2. Wildwood Red in Tooth and Claw II [IC]
      By Voadam in forum Playing the Game
      Replies: 801
      Last Post: Friday, 1st February, 2008, 05:56 PM
    3. Wildwood Red in Tooth and Claw [Info]
      By Voadam in forum Playing the Game
      Replies: 12
      Last Post: Friday, 25th January, 2008, 11:48 PM
    4. Wildwood Red in Tooth and Claw [RG]
      By Voadam in forum RPGs & Tabletop Gaming Discussion
      Replies: 18
      Last Post: Friday, 18th January, 2008, 02:13 AM
    5. Tooth And Claw
      By DarwinofMind in forum RPGs & Tabletop Gaming Discussion
      Replies: 10
      Last Post: Tuesday, 22nd January, 2002, 04:04 AM

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •