Wildwood Red in Tooth and Claw [IC]

Voadam

Legend
Alan and Tur in the lead, the party advances along the trail to the opposite hillside that holds the mine. Several trees around the entrance have been chopped down creating a bit of a clearing. A single darkened shaft leads into the depths of the mine ahead. The dirt path beneath its wooden support structure is covered with stone debris. Tracks of small humanoids and cart wheels are present, several apparently bearing heavy loads as evidenced by the depth of the impressions.

A few small details catch Noni's eye, some of the beams bear nicks and cuts, and there are small patches of dried blood on some of the ground.

The entrance is almost fifteen feet wide and goes into the hillside at a slight downward sloping incline.

No lights come from within and there are no signs of guards. The shaft goes straight into darkness.

Voadam

Legend
Fuzzy fuzzy fuzzy

With the light of his mindblade illuminating the passage Alan leads the party down the tunnel.

Soon the light from outside fails to pierce the depths of darkness and only the psionically created energy allows a pool of visibility centered on the hexblade.

More than a hundred feet in Alan's light reveals the presence of an overturned cart about forty feet ahead (the far edge of the illumination). Lying beneath it is the unmoving corpse of a goblin. Growing from the goblin's back and side is a fuzzy purple growth and there is even sort of a mushroom-like stalk but instead of a cap it has fuzzy purple tendrils coming off the top.

The cart does not block the whole of the tunnel and there is even enough room for another cart to get past it.

Last edited:

Endovior

First Post
"Be careful... this is a perfect place for an ambush."

Alan cautiously steps forward, carefully checking the area for any trap or lurking assailant.

D20Dazza

Explorer
"Wait" Cursed hisses quietly "Describe the fungus to me. It may be useful somehow, or somehow dangerous". Once Alan has finished describing the infestation, and Cursed clarifies a couple of points, the Ilonis scratches his head and tries to think of anything he may know about it.

OOC: Know (arcane) +2

Voadam

Legend
As Alan moves forward a few steps watching for movement behind the cart the light falls more fully upon the scene and he notes the tendrils of the fungus move slightly as he approaches. As Cursed hisses his request Alan halts his forward progress.

As the fungus is described to Cursed he ponders the details but cannot recall any knowledge of such a fungus with regards to matters arcane, though he does know some potion recipes call for specific fungul ingredients.

Fenris

Adventurer
"Though I have traveled countless trails under the sun and moon, I have travel few under the earth. yet I know that above ground at least, the rotting fungi do not move. I think we need to burn that thing, lest it devour us as it's brethern do a log." suggests Noni.

OOC: [sblock] Voadam, I took some liberties with my Kn: Nature :) I am sure mycology falls under that heading [/sblock]

D20Dazza

Explorer
"Hmmm I know nothing of the origins or uses of this infestation but, I believe we should heed the words of friend Noni" Cursed says as he takes a step away from the fungus.

Remove ads