Branding's Age of Worms, the 4th Generation

Following the dwarf's direction, the rest of the group looks up. At the top of this passageway there seems to be a corridor which continues in the same direction as the “spoke” of the star-shaped chamber you are in. The opening is barely visible in the low light of the torch and lantern you carry. It looks to be roughly 40 feet off the ground. Quickly looking around, you don’t see any handholds in the walls. The only way up would be to climb the lantern chain, a feat of moderate difficulty for a skilled climber.

Mista Collins

First Post
Spitting in his hands and rubbing them together, Owen looks to the chain and then to the others. "I might be able to climb up there. Maybe there will be something I can lower down to help the rest of you. Anyone have some rope?"

silentspace

First Post
"Who has the rope again? I think Gregor was carrying it, he's carrying pretty much everything," Majakilar says as he slaps his hand on the giant's back.

"Speaking of which, do you think Gregor can 'elevator' us up like he did before? Or is this a tougher climb? Forty feet is a long fall, let's be careful."

"And do you think we should light the lamp?"

Voadam

Legend
"Yeah, I do. Be careful Owen." Gregor digs out the rope and gives Owen a boost if he needs it to get to the lantern chain.

Thanee

First Post
Alexi

“Not while Owen is climbing at least. Who knows what will happen, despite shedding some more light. We should light it either before or afterwards, though.”

Mista Collins

First Post
With a chuckle and a smile to Alexi, Owen agrees. "I say we light it before. Maybe something will happen. With the way things have been in this place I wouldn't be suprised."

Once the lantern is lit and it is obvious nothing is going to happen, Owen starts to climb up the chain.

Climb 1d20+5 [10,5] = (15)

Owen tears off a small piece of parchment, which he pulls out of a map case, and lights it off of the hooded lantern he has been carrying. He walks over to the blue lantern with it, and within moments it is burning brightly. Even though the blue lantern does not feel like it's full of oil, the wick's flame is steady and strong. He waits to see if anything strange or magical happens. When it doesn't, he starts wondering how he is going to make it up the chain.

He puts his own lantern down and coils the rope Gregor has handed him around his body. The giant man folds his hands together at hip height and bends into this knees a bit to make it easier on his shorter friend. Owen uses the boost and grabs on to the chain above the lantern. He hangs there for a moment, trying to ascertain if the chain will hold his weight. When he is satisfied that it will not collapse, he begins to climb. Due to the fact that the links are fairly large, there are plenty of hand holds and he is able to reach the top without much difficulty. The lantern chain is attached to a large bolt in the masonry ceiling here.

Once at the top he sees the passage before him, stretching off into the darkness towards the northeast. It looks to be about ten feet wide and 12 feet in height. The only light comes from the lanterns below, and he can barely see six feet into this corridor.

Holding on tightly to the top of the chain with his arms, Owen swings his legs and torso over to the edge of the passage, barely catching the end with his right foot. After a few tenuous moments, he manages to shift his weight completely away from the chain, until he is finally able to let go of it.

Mista Collins

First Post
Once Owen is standing in the corridor, he takes a few moments to tie a series of knots in the rope Gregor handed him and lets the rest of the group know what he is doing so they don't worry. "It sure is dark up here guys. Just give me a second. I am tying knots in the rope to make climbing easier for you. Plus I need to find something to attach the rope to."

Voadam

Legend
"I should have gone up first. My eyes are good in the dark." Gregor looks over the chain gauging whether it would hold his weight. As well as that of a passenger.

Remove ads