SX:1 Help Wanted: Exterminators (Velmont Judging)-Completed





+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 237
  1. #1

    SX:1 Help Wanted: Exterminators (Velmont Judging)-Completed

    #1
    Salix

    Mission - Help Wanted: Exterminators, Philly, No Experience Neccessary (Velmont Judging)

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    This is the thread for the mission being run by Salix. This boilerplate info was stolen from Bront.

    In addition to any normal IC post you may make I request that your first post have a link to your character sheet (Yeah, I know not that hard to find, but good habit to get into) in it, any disadvantages or complications you may have, and any other notes you feel I should be aware of.

    I expect 4-6 heroes, and hope that they'll be able to post at least once a day, but more is always better. if you will be gone for a spell, just inform me. I will RP your character where appropriate.

    When posting, please color your text with a different color than everyone else (I prefer dark colors), and feel free to use line/paragraph breaks to break up chunks of your documents.

    Also, familiarize yourself with the usage of SBLOCK and SPOILER. I use SBLOCKs more often, particularly to hide OOC comments or for items for specific people only.Keep OOC posts to a minimum. Usually some IC content can be tied to an OOC post.

    The Briefing will begin when enough people have filed into the room.

    Players should feel free to use Invisible Castle to make rolls. http://invisiblecastle.com/rolldice.py


    PCs
    Gun Monkey
    Toad
    Roughneck
    Pandora
    Body and Spirit

    NPCs
    Mr. Kyle Wheeler- team handler
    King- head of aircraft maintenance/flight operations
    Dick- jet pilot
    Mr. Robert Malina- Philadelphia DA
    Mr. Daniel Sisselman-Philadelphia assistant DA
    Mr. John Rivera--Philadelphia Chief of Police
    Robert Wallace-Investigative reporter based in Philadelphia, but looking to break into the national spotlight

    Villains
    Dr. Null- Genius madman intent on world domination
    Bugbots-mechanical devices capable of creating replicas of themselves from scrap
    Tripod Walker- a 60 foot vehicle used by Null

    original post in ready lounge thread that starts adventure

    A red light begins to flash above the monitors in the room. All of the TV monitors display the same image. The volume of all the monitors turns up until the audio is loud enough for Roughneck to hear in the fitting room.


    “This is Robert Wallace, high in the sky in the Channel Four Action News Copter!””
    “We’re broadcasting live from above the Walt Whitman Bridge in Philadelphia, and I’m telling you it ’s a madhouse down there! Take it from me folks, it’s going to be more than the usual rush hour slow down today! ”

    “There ’s a swarm of … what look like bugs, big metal bugs, crawling up out of the Delaware River. Each one is as big as a car. They climbed right up the bridge tower,and now they ’re spread out across the road,right in the middle of traffic. All lanes have screeched to a halt, and there are collisions and fender-benders everywhere!”

    Sorry folks >bbrrzzz< we ’re getting a lot of brrzzz< (FFred! can’t you clean up that signal?) ) There’s some kind of interference… brrzzzzzzzz< ”


    The clip is continually replayed. The chopper is unable to send a visual feed so there is a stock photo of the WW bridge (see attached photo). It is apparently the only clip of the situation as new info is not appearing.

    An announcement comes over the intercom system: All available Resolutes report to the breifing room!

    OOC: This is a short adventure that is meant for a single nights play. It is open to anyone and will be a chance for characters to play their characters and see how they will do before a longer adventure presents itself. Velmont will judge. As a warning I've never GM'ed mutants and masterminds before so this will be a chance for me to get some experience with a pretty straightforward adventure. This adventure is based on the published adventure: Dr. Null:Battle of the Bay Bridge. If you've played that it is still probably alright to participate in this one although you will be expected to play your character without the benefit of any knowledge you might have. I'm hoping to have a post rate of at least once per day.
    Attached Images walt whitman bridge.gif (70.7 KB, 0 views)

    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by Salix : 04-30-06 at 09:52 PM. Reason: changed character list, added kick-off post
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails walt whitman bridge.gif  
    Last edited by Salix; Saturday, 4th November, 2006 at 08:34 PM.

 

  • #2

    Page 1 placeholder

    04-09-06, 03:55 AM #2
    Bront

    Gun Monkey finds a seat in the briefing room and sits down, curling his tail around the back of the chair.
    __________________


    04-09-06, 04:21 AM #3
    hero4hire

    Roughneck wanders in whistling. He is wearing the new uniform but it is obvious he made some "improvements". He takes a seat and puts his feet, still clad in biker boots, up on the table. "Shirtless...." he mumbled shaking his head.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by hero4hire : 04-09-06 at 02:23 PM.

    04-09-06, 05:44 AM #4
    Rybaer

    Pandora enters the briefing room, wearing her body armor which is now in the color scheme of the official uniform. She looks rather fetching the the outfit and makes a show of swirling her cape around before sitting in a chair.

    "Giant, metal bugs," she says. "Not exactly what I was expecting when I'd signed up. But, in all honestly, I had no idea what we'd really be called upon to deal with."
    __________________

    04-09-06, 05:44 AM #5
    Bront

    "They were talking about it. It's not like forced you to wear sleeves." Gun Monkey says.



    04-09-06, 05:51 AM #6
    hero4hire

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bront
    "They were talking about it. It's not like forced you to wear sleeves." Gun Monkey says.

    "Yeah...Looks like the sleeves were optional huh?" he laughed to himself, amused by his own private joke. "So bug-squashing huh? I say we nuke 'em from orbit. It's the only way to be sure."

    04-09-06, 11:56 AM #7
    Hellzon

    Toad walks in and plops down on a chair.
    "So... bugs? I prefer the up-close and personal method myself. Someone did bring a flyswatter, right? Right?"
    William leans back in his chair, waiting...


    OOC
    Might as well say it here too. I'll have erratic net access and no rulebook access between the 12:th and 17:th of April. Will try to squeeze in a post every other day at least, anyway.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by Hellzon : 04-09-06 at 12:01 PM. Reason: ooc notice


    04-09-06, 02:05 PM #8
    Rybaer
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hellzon
    Toad walks in and plops down on a chair.
    "So... bugs? I prefer the up-close and personal method myself. Someone did bring a flyswatter, right? Right?"
    William leans back in his chair, waiting...




    "Flyswatter?" Pandora says with an amused raised eyebrow. "Like this?"

    She reaches under her cape and into her oversized belt pouch. Moments later, she withdraws what looks like a bright pink plastic flyswatter, only it's about five feet in length.

    "Big bugs call for heavier ordinance," she says with a grin, then stuffs it back into the (much too small) pouch at her side.

    04-09-06, 02:29 PM #9
    hero4hire

    "That is so cool and so creepy at the same time..." Roughneck commented from across the conference table.

    04-09-06, 04:02 PM #10
    Hellzon

    "Seems we'll have the situation well in hand, then," Toad says, chuckling.

    04-09-06, 05:36 PM #11
    hero4hire

    Roughneck looked around the room. "Hey! Where is that Doctor Guy who has a ghost hangin' around. Or that cop with the drinking problem??"

    04-10-06, 04:48 AM #12
    Erekose13

    Body and Spirit also walk into the briefing room just as Roughneck inquires about them. "Ask and ye shall receive. Giant metal bugs, sounds intriguing, though my abilities tend to work better on those with biological forms. Has there been any more reports from the site? Anyone claiming responsibility?"

    04-10-06, 07:29 AM #13
    Salix

    Enter Mr. Wheeler

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Sergeant walks in the door following Body and Spirit. A door panel opens on the far wall and an elevator door slowly opens up. The back of a large wheelchair is facing the assembled team. It spins around in a tight circle, revealing a man who has been through an enormous amount of pain. He is heavily scarred, and lacks both legs and his right arm. The left side of his face has been burned, and a heavy leather patch conceals his eye. He looks over the heroes, turning to meet each one in the eye.

    “My name is Kyle Wheeler, and I’ll be your handler for this mission. I gather there was some talk that this is the beta team of also-rans, and that the alpha team is dealing with the earthquake. That is absolute BS. You all have tremendous power and skill that the world will be counting on. Currently, we have an unknown menace in Philadelphia. There seems to be some device jamming all signals in and out of the metropolitan Philadelphia area. I have arranged for you to have access to the bridge. Police and emergency services such as ambulances will be waiting on either end of the bridge. They will be waiting to evacuate casualties and are attempting to clear the area, but they have orders not to engage these robots.”

    “Sergeant. I need you to stay here. Your investigative skills will be paramount should there be another incident while the other team is gone. We'll need you to gather information and assess any new threats. I take it from your profile that you won’t want to miss out on the action, but I’m sure you understand the responsibility that is yours.”

    Sergeant replies, “I’ll do whatever is needed.”

    “Good, I knew that’s how you would see it. Oh and Sergeant, lay off the booze while you’re on alert”


    “All right then. Listen up folks, here is what we are up against. Apparently, some bug-shaped robots have attacked the bridge. Early reports indicate that they seem to be more interested in junking vehicles than killing civilians, although at least two deaths have been confirmed. It will take approximately three minutes to arrive at the scene. I fully expect you to be ready to roll as soon as this briefing ends. I will accompany you to the eastern side of the bridge to run interference and coordinate with local authorities. Your mission is to destroy these robots and protect innocent civilians!”, Wheeler punctuates this last sentence by pounding his one good fist on the table for each word.

    He composes himself slightly before beginning again, “ Should you find any intel on who is responsible for this assault, we will evaluate and pursue that party once all of the civilians are safe. Since it is unlikely that we will be in radio contact in the field, one of you will have to act as the field leader of this unit. I will not try to cloud that decision, but I think it is obvious that some of you aren’t exactly leadership material.”, as he says this last bit his eyes seem to linger on Roughneck.

    “Of course it is the responsibility of the leader to change the mission as the situation unfolds. As long as innocent bystanders are involved this will be a heavy burden. I want a leader chosen before we hit the ground. If there are no further questions we should meet at the hangar in one minute. Join me in the elevator.”

    Without a further word he wheels over to the elevator and waits for the others. When they all join him (it’s a big elevator), he pushes a button labeled “Hangar”.

    OOC: And we're off. Feedback is welcome, especially if you see any rookie mistakes. Hope everyone has a good time. Erekose: Can I get you to use a different color. Maybe one of the grays?


    04-10-06, 08:26 AM #14
    hero4hire

    As Wheeler's eye lingered on him, Roughneck stared back unblinking, unmoving, like a statue. The sheer stoicism on his face was unnerving alone. (OOC: Roughneck is passively using Intimidate...Take Ten would be a 25.) After Wheeler left Nick spoke up. "Leader huh?? Who's got the most experience at this crap?" He looks expectantly to the others.

    04-10-06, 08:34 AM #15
    Hellzon
    Toad tries to look small and insignificant. He had the experience, yes. Leadership skills... not so much.
    "Seems it's between the good doctor and Miss Scary Purse..."

    04-10-06, 09:02 AM #16
    hero4hire

    Nick nodded. "Yup that was my thinkin'. If Sarge was going...well he'd be a shoe-in. So somebody else has gotta play boss. I need to know who not to listen to." He put his ham-hands on his hips. "So which one of ya wants it?"

    04-10-06, 08:57 PM #17
    Bront

    Gun Monkey looks around, not saying a word.

    04-10-06, 10:48 PM #18
    Erekose13
    "Thank you Mr. Wheeler. I will be leading this team then. I'll need to get a quick synopsis of skills and powers from each of you as I do not think that we have time for me to review your records at this point. While I have not lead a team of super heroes before, as lead surgeon I do have some background in a lead role.

    Mr. Wheeler, are we able to avoid civilian casualties, or are the deaths public knowledge already? I have the ability to resusitate those who have already perished." replies Konrad confident in his ability to lead.



    04-11-06, 12:20 AM #19
    Rybaer
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hellzon
    Toad tries to look small and insignificant. He had the experience, yes. Leadership skills... not so much.
    "Seems it's between the good doctor and Miss Scary Purse..."



    Pandora raises an eyebrow at Toad's comment, but lets it drop.

    "I'm sure the doctor will be fine as the team lead in this," she says. "If need be, I can back him up. I have a fair bit of experience in dealing with people and my bag has some useful intel gathering tricks."

    On the ride down to the hanger, she dons her color coordinated domino mask and makes absolutely sure that her bag is securely attached.



    04-11-06, 03:28 AM #20
    hero4hire
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bront
    Gun Monkey looks around, not saying a word.

    OOC: I actually thought of Gun Monkey. Then I saw he had an 8 Charisma....

    04-11-06, 03:37 AM #21
    hero4hire

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Erekose13
    "I'll need to get a quick synopsis of skills and powers from each of you as I do not think that we have time for me to review your records at this point. While I have not lead a team of super heroes before, as lead surgeon I do have some background in a lead role.



    Nick rubbed his bald head thinking of a way to put his abilities into words.
    "I can take a pretty good beating...Haven't been put down in a scrap yet...Even before I supposedly got powers. Knives still cut me..Bullets don't bounce off or nuthin'. They just dont hurt so bad as t'put me down is all. I mighta never figgered I had powers 'til that bus hit me on my Hawg. Knocked me some 50 feet. But I still got up after...." He shrugged his huge shoulders.

    "Wasn't so bad..."

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by hero4hire : 04-11-06 at 03:42 AM.



    04-11-06, 03:47 AM #22
    Salix

    Wheeler waits, tapping his phantom foot

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Wheeler listens to the short deliberations from the elevator, holding the door open, "That's just great folks. I'm sure Body and Spirit will be a very competent leader, but we're responding to an emergency here people. If you would adjourn to the hangar with me I'd appreciate it. You have about 30 seconds each to go over each others powers. Toad's agile, Gun Monkey shoots things, and Roughneck likes to punch people. Anything else you can do can be divulged in the plane, although we'll be there in less than five minutes."With that he beckons the resolutes to join him in the elevator to go to the hangar.

    OOC Wheeler's a little grouchy, losing 3/4s of your limbs will do that to you. Sorry I didn't leave any room to hash out leadership details in my post. Discussion of powers can happen in the plane. Erekose-I'm liking the new avatar.

    04-11-06, 05:01 AM #23
    Bront

    "If you must know," Gun Monkey says, with a bit of venom in his voice, "I have excelent hand-eye coordination as well as exceptional agility and reflexes and am well versed in high tech equipment of all kinds."

    He looks at Wheeler, "Or, if you will, I shoot things."

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hero4hire
    OOC: I actually thought of Gun Monkey. Then I saw he had an 8 Charisma....


    OOC: Nah, they wouldn't let him be a leader anyway. At least that's what he thinks.



    04-11-06, 06:25 AM #24
    Hellzon

    "High tech knowledge could be useful against robots, I'm sure..." Toad pipes in, trying to defuse the situation. "Anyway, I have mobility on my side too. Or how does jumping across streets sound to you? Like...
    And with that, he gets out of the chair and crosses the room in one bound, landing next to Pandora in the elevator.
    "Going down?"

    OOC: Gun Monkey as a leader would definitely be interesting at least.



    04-11-06, 06:57 AM #25
    Salix

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Erekose13
    "Mr. Wheeler, are we able to avoid civilian casualties, or are the deaths public knowledge already? I have the ability to resusitate those who have already perished." replies Konrad confident in his ability to lead.


    " Well Doc, how cold do they have to be before you can't bring them back? I'm not sure raising the dead is a skill the Resolutes want to advertise either way. Before you know it, you'll have a religious cult following you around. If we can be sure there are no cameras around we may be able to do something for casualties, but my guess is that the local guy Wallace will be there. He thinks he's a real daredevil. He's always on the local channel sticking his big fat nose where it doesn't belong."
    Wheeler, turns his attention to Gun Monkey, " I know all about you Gun Monkey. You're a helluva stud in a firefight, but you've got a bad temper. You need to learn to keep it in check if you want to stay on this team.", he says this last comment with the authority of a man who is used to outranking people.



    04-11-06, 12:04 PM #26
    Rybaer

    "I don't have any real powers on my own," Pandora says. "I do have the ability to pull things from my bag of tricks, though. Just about anything, really, as long as it's not too technical or complicated. And some other things, too, like weather. Oh, and I can see anywhere I want just by looking inside the bag."

    She tries to deliver her explanation without letting Toad's presence distract her. Something about just wasn't...right. Hopefully it would all work out in the field.



    04-11-06, 08:52 PM #27
    Erekose13

    "Right lets go everyone, into the elevator now. We need to be on that plane asap." says Konrad, ushering his team onto the elevator. Once there he replies to Mr. Wheelers question, "I can return anyone who has perished within the last 2.5 years. And yes it is an ability that I am not eager to let out. I will exercise caution on scene. Please tell me more about this Wallace once we are on the plane."

    To his crew, Konrad explains, "This is indeed an interesting team. Toad, Gun Monkey, and Roughneck, you'll lead the charge against the bugs. Try to stay relatively close together. Pandora, I'd like you to stay with me, we'll try to get to any survivors and rescue them. Your bag of tricks will come in very handy. So everyone is aware, my personal abilities revolve around the physical. I can heal, but I can also injure, fatigue, transform, stun, boost or drain the physical bodies of virtually anyone I can sense."



    04-11-06, 09:30 PM #28
    hero4hire

    "We probably need a spot at the end o' the bridge to bring victims too. Pandora you said you could pull weather outta yer hat? Howza 'bout an Icestorm. That should slow the buggies down. Toady can bring the vics there 'cuz he can jump over the ice. Then you can heal 'em. Monkey an I can be on the 'hot' side of the ice, holdin 'em off."



    04-11-06, 10:07 PM #29
    Hellzon

    Well, Nick Fu... I mean Mr Wheeler said we'd have emercency services available at both ends of the bridge. Seems you two have an excellent plan going. I'll be happy to serve as the Toad Express until it gets too hot on one side of the ice.

    And if this Wallace shows up, maybe Gun Monkey and myself could prove more... interesting than a doctor?" Toad finishes with an evil grin.



    04-12-06, 05:29 AM #30
    Salix

    Down in the Hangar

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    The resolute team heads down to the hangar where their jet awaits. To the surprise of most of the team members, Wheeler takes the pilot’s seat with the help of the pilot, and the pilot moves over to the copilot chair. When you have all been seated Wheeler yells, “ Hold on to your hats, we’ll be there in a jiffy. The skies have been cleared for us. By the way, some of you will be expected to learn how to fly one of these babies!”

    A heavy-set black man in coveralls approaches the cockpit. Some of the Resolutes can see that his name tag says King on the right side of his coveralls. You can see him mouthing words followed by a deep voice crackling over the jet’s intercom system. “She’s ready to roll, sir. On your call.”

    “Thanks King. I trust she’s up to snuff”, Wheeler replies before blasting off. Those who can see notice a wide grin on his face.

    The jet rockets out of the hangar.

    "Body and Soul, Wallace is an investigative reporter who is bucking to get on the national scene. He's big on investigative reports into organized crime, war coverage, that kind of stuff. He will likely try to follow you around with the cameras rolling. Don't try to intimidate him, but maybe letting him get some footage of you guys in action will placate him. It probably won't look bad from a PR standpoint either. If he hasn't reported the casualties as dead, and you can bring them back in a space where noone can see it or know, go ahead. Keep in mind that you need to concentrate on protecting more innocents from any harm. Your plan sounds pretty good. Maybe you should build some contigencies in case the situation changes.",

    OOC: Feel free to finish any discussion on powers, strategy,etc. Next stop will be the Walt Whitman Bridge and the bugbots. BTW- just threw the pilot thing in for flavor. It will be interesting to see how B&S and Pandora deal with a mostly mechanical threat.
    Nick Fu... Oh yeah I forgot the cigar hope he's not annoying everyone too much, not that he would care. Hope everyone has fun


    04-13-06, 08:07 PM #31
    Erekose13
    "I like the Icestorm idea, Nick. Toad, would you be able to bring people across an entire storm? I can't think of anything else physical like a wall or what not that would have such a great effect on stopping metal bugs. Pandora, any other ideas on what you might be able to pull out of your bag that would put a barrier between us and the bugs?

    If the bugs are able to get past the barrier, Pandora and I will have a few tricks up our sleeves. If that Wallace guy shows up, I think I will actually take the opportunity to grant him an interview as PR is an important part of our jobs out there. With the barrier that should give you three the opportunity to go to town on the bugs without interruption. Let me know on the communicators if you are having trouble and we will send in back up."

    OOC: We have communicators right?
    There is one more thing that I need to do before we touch down (at about a minute out), just making sure I have that covered before we go in.



    04-14-06, 01:11 AM #32
    Rybaer
    "Well, the catch with summoning weather is that I can't do much else aside from sustain it," Pandora says. "If I stop to pull something else out of the bag, the weather goes away. We'll have to see the situation in real-time to decide if ice will be more of a help or a hindrance.

    "As for other things I can pull out...well, I don't even know my own limits yet. I'll pretty much just have to wing it. I do know I can summon a gigantic metal snake for personal protection. Which sounds really handy against big metal bugs."



    04-14-06, 03:18 AM #33
    Salix

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Erekose13
    OOC: We have communicators right?
    There is one more thing that I need to do before we touch down (at about a minute out), just making sure I have that covered before we go in.



    OOC: I believe everyone should have a communicator (standard issue). Of course someone is jammming communications on the bridge (it appears). You'll have to see on the ground how well they'll work.


    04-15-06, 03:31 AM #34
    Bront
    "Just tell me where to go, and I'm there," Gun Monkey says, looking around the hanger.

    OOC: Yup, standard closed band comunicators, though they are encrypted so there's no easy listening in, but signal blocking is a different issue. I believe they have a fairly decient range, but if a Vigilant is in range, the Vigilant can relay the signal accross satalite, giving them worldwide range with HQ and anyone else who can hook into that network. I'll have to dig up where they're detailed and put them in one of the info threads.


    04-15-06, 06:39 PM #35
    Hellzon


    Toad grins. "Define "entire storm". I can leap about 250 feet with a head start, would that be enough?"

    OOC: As I've said, erratic posting until monday from me.



    04-15-06, 06:57 PM #36
    hero4hire


    Roughneck nodded in approval as Toady cited his leaping distance. "How far when carrying a Grannie with a broken hip??? That's probably a better question!"


    04-15-06, 08:52 PM #37
    Rybaer

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hellzon
    Toad grins. "Define "entire storm". I can leap about 250 feet with a head start, would that be enough?"


    "Well, I've had it measure out to about a five mile radius," Pandora says. "It's weather...not ski resort snow blowers. Now, I think I can cut it back some and make it a smaller storm. I haven't practiced much with ice, though, especially around a city."



    04-16-06, 01:02 AM #38
    Erekose13


    "In any case, Pandora and I will hold the one end of the bridge. We'll see if we can create a barrier or not, but if not we'll still hold the base." replies Konrad.




    04-16-06, 03:29 AM #39
    Bront


    "Your ice storm won't bother me much," Gun Monkey says. "I should be able to move through it pretty easily."




    04-16-06, 09:57 AM #40
    Salix

    A fly-over of the bridge

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    "Listen up everyone. We're about a minute out, but I want to do a quick fly-over to see what you guys are up against.”, Wheeler yells to the group.

    As the Vigilant flies over, the heroes get their first look at the bugbots. The robots are the size of small cars with six jointed legs and powerful looking mandibles. There appears to be well over a hundred of the bugbots on the bridge. Lanes leading up to the Bugbot swarms are choked with cars, but the lanes leading away are clear, except for a few panicked collisions as drivers sped away from the trouble erupting behind them. Eastbound lanes are blocked traveling away from the city, westbound lanes blocked coming towards the city. The position of cars and trucks on the road is more chaotic the closer you get to the center of the action. Traffic farther back came to a controlled stop, but drivers near the Bugbots swerved, veered, and panicked, leaving a tangle of crashed vehicles even before the bugbots swarmed in and began taking them apart.

    The Bugbots are mostly located between the eastern tower and the center of the bridge. Clusters of four or five Bugbots surround individual cars. A few crawl up and down the tower and the suspender cables, cutting hunks of valuable metal out of the bridge.

    A large vehicle paces around at the center of the action, looming over the terrified commuters. It appears to be a clear bubble shaped pod on top of three sixty-foot legs. Some of the heroes can make out a human figure inside the pod. As the vigilant comes closer a blast of pure energy shoots forth from a cannon mounted under the bubble. Wheeler banks hard in order to dodge the blast, but the vigilant still shakes from taking a glancing blow on the underside of the jet.

    “You better take over the controls, Dick. We’re going to need a real pilot now. Take us down to the landing site. I can’t wait to see the team kick this joker’s sorry butt.”, Wheeler says to the pilot, moving his hand off the controls.
    Last edited by Salix; Saturday, 20th May, 2006 at 10:21 PM.

  • #3

    Page 2 original thread

    "How close to you think you can get this rig?" Gun Monkey asks, as he hops up and heads for the parachutes.



    04-16-06, 02:29 PM #42
    hero4hire


    "Damn!" Roughneck said gazing out the window. "Reminds me of Starship Troopers. No missing who is running the bugs though huh? So we save the civvies first right?" he asked looking up.
    __________________
    04-16-06, 06:38 PM #43
    Salix

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bront
    "How close to you think you can get this rig?" Gun Monkey asks, as he hops up and heads for the parachutes.

    OOC:errr...I thought the vigilants were like harriers. If so there is a landing spot cleared near the end of the bridge. If not there will be a 10 minute van ride with police escort.
    Mapquest put it at 9 miles 18 minutes

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by H4H
    "Damn!" Roughneck said gazing out the window. "Reminds me of Starship Troopers. No missing who is running the bugs though huh? So we save the civvies first right?" he asked looking up.

    "That's your leader's decision. I'm just here to get you to the site and keep the locals under control. I'm sure you'll make the right decision once you get on the ground"

    04-16-06, 11:06 PM #44
    Bront

    OOC: Yes, indeed they can (Complete VTOL), but Gun Monkey is pondering an areal assault, since once he gets to any part of the bridge, he can swing around fairly freely in the supports. It's an RP thing, so feel free to say no, or ask what, or whatever.

    04-17-06, 12:20 AM #45
    Salix
    Where you going with that 'chute?

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bront
    OOC: Yes, indeed they can (Complete VTOL), but Gun Monkey is pondering an areal assault, since once he gets to any part of the bridge, he can swing around fairly freely in the supports. It's an RP thing, so feel free to say no, or ask what, or whatever.


    Eyeing Gun Monkey headed for the parachutes, Wheeler pipes up, "I don't want to risk getting us all shot down, especially if it means the group is going to start off split up with sketchy communications. But then again, it's the Doc's call, he's the field leader."


    OOC:
    Gun Monkey
    I am inclined to say no outright (although I really looked through your character sheet for a reason to say yes). If you had beginner's luck or something in your history that suggested GM had done it before I'd be more likely to say OK. That said if Erekose13 agrees on a tactical basis we can play it out, but you will have a fairly high DC to land on the bridge. I would probably also give the tripod a pretty big bonus for attacking GM as he floats down to the bridge.


    04-17-06, 04:56 AM #46
    Erekose13

    "Wait lets go in together. I'd like to make sure that we've got the civilians out of the way. Gun Monkey once we are all on the bridge you can try to get close to the thing but the civis are our primary concern. Oh before I forget." says Konrad, then in quick succession he glances at each of the others and winks. Each of the feels much stronger, faster, and resilient.


    ooc
    Give each person Boost = +10 Str, Dex, Con for 20 minutes

    04-17-06, 05:30 AM #47
    Salix

    The Eagle Has Landed

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    The jet lands on the east side of the bridge. Wheeler gets out of the vigilant and is immediately greeted by the Philadelphia chief of police, John Rivera. The chief is a short but powerfully built Hispanic man, just starting to show a hint of a paunch. The chief says, “Usually I don’t like the Feds coming into my turf, but we’re out of our league here. Small arms fire doesn’t seem to affect these things.” Noticing Gun Monkey’s blasters he says, “I can’t wait to see what those babies can do. My men will evacuate the area and get civilians to the hospital. It’s your show Mr. Wheeler.”
    As Chief Rivera and Wheeler shake hands two men in overcoats and suits walk up. One is a jowly man in his fifties, the other a younger man in his mid to late thirties. “I’m the DA, Robert Malina, and this is the assistant DA, Daniel Sissman. We need you to help us bring whoever is responsible for this to justice. Please keep an eye out for clues and possible evidence. Thank you for your time, good luck” That said the pair walk off.

    The chief nods his head at the departing pair, “ He’s straightlaced, but Malina gets convictions. He’s got organized crime in this town running scared.

    Wheeler replies, “He’s also wasting our time. ”He looks at the team. “ It’s YOUR show Doc. Let’s show the world what this team can do. Now get going!” Without waiting to hear a reply he resumes talking to the chief, rattling off a laundry list of things he wants done.

    04-17-06, 01:32 PM #48
    hero4hire

    Roughneck made a fist and punched the palm of his other ham-hand in anticipation. "Alright! Lets Rumble!"

    OOC: I assume the Boost cant put us past our caps. So Roughneck is capped at his unarmed attack/damage and toughness/defense. But will enjoy +5 to fort and reflex and attacking with a weapon will be a total of +5 hit DC26. So not a useless little trick!


    04-17-06, 11:35 PM #49
    Bront

    OOC: Not only can the boost not boost us past our caps, but since it's not an area power, it can't effect all of us unless he hit us each individualy with one.

    Gun Monkey looks to B&S for the go ahead, but takes a position ready to leap into action.


    04-18-06, 12:09 AM #50
    Rybaer

    Pandora looks around at the scene, trying to get a feel for the layout and how best she can use her powers. As someone who's held a desk job most of her life, being out the in the field in a hostile situation has her a little bit on edge.

    "Well, boss, what's your call?" she asks Konrad.


    04-18-06, 02:09 AM #51
    Hellzon
    Toad

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Toad hops out of the plane, crouched down and ready to leap into action... literally.
    "I'm no investigator, but Bubble Boy looks like both 'clues' and 'evidence'. I'm sure we can provide him in the plural form, too.
    Anyway, a wall of weather might not be as optimal as we thought, but I'm still ready to run interference. Let's get something set up so I can start transporting those bystanders..."


    OOC Re: Boost
    For my future reference:
    Conveniently, actual stats don't really _suffer_ from the cap. Dex hits it, but the added modifier still is +5. Heavy load is now 400 lb (and counting...) Leaping distances are increased by 50%.
    Toughness and reflex are maxed already. Fort gets boosted from +7 to +8 until the whole thing wears off. Tough mofo.
    Strike and Strength don't stack. Damage DC is 18 23 (and so on) until it hits 15 20, where Strike takes precedence.

    Oh, and my vacation is over. The Toad is back.

    __________________
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by Hellzon : 04-20-06 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Leaping increased too. Damage DC is 15+rank, not 10+rank.


    04-18-06, 03:05 AM #52
    Velmont

    Judge
    Just to tell I'm back and watching. Big Brother is watching you!
    __________________

    04-18-06, 04:04 AM #53
    Erekose13

    "Toad, Gun Monkey, Roughneck Go! Remember civis are priority 1. If you don't see any more threatened take out bubble boy. Pandora, lets see what you got in that bag of yours." Konrad says to the team.

    Turning to the chief and the DA he reassures then, "Gentlemen, we the Resolutes are here to take care of these extreme circumstances. We don't wish to step on anyones toes, but beyond getting the military in here blowing things up, I think it would be best for us to handle this. Mr. Malina, we will try our best to gather evidence, and someone to arrest. As my collegue has already pointed out, the man running that large round machine is our likely suspect. Chief if you could keep the media out of the way as best as possible and try to clear some of that traffic from either side of the bridge that would be most appreciated."


    04-18-06, 04:07 AM #54
    Erekose13
    ooc
    Yes he takes the time (6 rounds) to Boost each person in turn, thats why I wanted 1 minute prior to landing to hand that out.

    PS. what does range Perception cover? can I work my powers on someone over the radio? I'd assume not. What about line of sight, if say I were still in the Vigilant?

    04-18-06, 04:47 AM #55
    hero4hire


    OOC: I believe it is LOS


    04-18-06, 04:50 AM #56
    hero4hire
    Roughneck jumps out of the plane with the others. He stays close as possible to one of his teammates, planning to intercept any attacks from the bugs.

    OOC: Roughneck will hang close to whomever he can keep up with and Interpose if he has to.


    04-18-06, 07:53 AM #57
    Salix
    Talking Heads

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    The team sees a makeshift barricade at the entryway of the bridge. Behind the barricade is a line of six ambulances parked so they can drive the injured away from the chaos of the bridge to the hospital. As they near the ambulances they see a blow dried TV reporter standing in front of a cameraman, "This is Rex Stone, reporting from the Walt Whitman Bridge. Three people are confirmed dead, and an estimated 120 robots are on the Bridge. A large tripod vehicle is also on the bridge. A man inside the tripod calling himself "Dr. Null" is blaring threats to take over Philadelphia from a speaker system on the vehicle." His cameraman says, "That's a wrap Rex. We got to get out of here and back to the station so we can broadcast this. I think Channel 13 has already left." The two get in their news van and drive off.

    OOC: Thanks to the players for posting character stats and GM help. As a rookie GM it is much appreciated. Welcome back, Velmont.

    04-18-06, 12:05 PM #58
    Hellzon
    Toad

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Toad trundles along behind Roughneck, getting more impatient by the minute... "Slow, slow, slow, screw this. Time to kick butt and take names, and I'm bad with names. See you on the other side, I'm going to check out the situation."
    When he gets close enough, Toad hunches down and flies off in a leap that just shouldn't be possible, landing on an ambulance. He stands upright, assessing the situation.


    OOC
    Primarily looking for any civilians in danger.
    Barring that, Assessment on the bugbots (I'm assuming they're close enough and pretty much identical). Sense Motive: +5
    Edit: Oh, and how are our comms doing?


    04-18-06, 02:32 PM #59
    Bront
    Gun Monkey - Def 20, Tough +10

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Gun Monkey leaps up over the Baracade, grabbing a side of the bridge with one foot, and does a mid air summersault as he swings along the side of the bridge. Meanwhile, he pulls out his guns and fires a shot at one of the 'bugs' threatening the nearest civilian.

    OOC: Range perception is any targetable perception form you may have (LOS, LOH (Line of Hearing), Mental Sense Range, Smell, Other).

    OOC2: FYI, Gun Monkey's Leap is now 85/42/21 with the aditional +5 from the bonus strength. Climb +22, Acrobatics +25

    OOC3: Blast:Energy, Autofire, +10 DC 25 Tough Bruise


    04-19-06, 09:53 PM #60
    Salix

    The shot heard round the world?

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    The first 300 feet seem to be clear of any bugbots. After that you see a group of six bots surrounding a minivan. The bots seem to have arc welders in their mandibles, and are cutting large pieces of metal from the side of the van. In the rear window you can see a small girl with pigtails crying, her small fists uselessly pounding against the glass.


    Toad
    You are slightly better in both attack and defense bonuses



    OGM
    your blast goes just wide of one of the six “bugs” 2+10-4 =8, must be higher than that to hit. My dice don’t seem to like you right now


    Gun monkey’s blast fires just wide of the “bug” farthest from the van (also happens to be the nearest to him). Four of the bugs continue working on dismantling the van while two turn towards the direction of the blast.

    OOC: Anyone is welcome to use Invisible castle to make his or her rolls. Just post the link with the IC result into your post. I might be a little slow in posting responses the next few rounds as I try to figure out the rules. Bront: I’m using the rank of the blast for your gun’s range not the rank of the device. Is that right? I’m figuring your base range is 100 ft up to 1000 ft with –2 for every 100 ft after the first. If you test your coms you'll find they won't work after 100 feet.

    04-19-06, 10:50 PM #61
    Erekose13

    Body & Spirit watch as the tv crew take off. Why they wouldn't stay there and broadcast is beyond him, maybe their sat connections are disrupted too. He is happy to see them go, but sad that at least 3 people have already lost their lives.

    He decides to try and see if his powers will affect any of the bugs at all. Given that they look all machine it is very doubtful. He tries to manipulate the bug's networks to stun them.


    ooc
    here is the power I'm using. With Area Burst and selective attack, I should be able to affect all of the ones around the van, if I can affect them at all. Given that these are APs of Life Control I doubt it.

    Stun 10 [Attack, Dynamic](7 PP/Rank + 2 PP = 72 PP, 2 PP Net)
    PF: Reversible (1)
    PF: Sedation (1)
    EX: Range 2 (Perception) (+2)
    EX: Area 1 (Burst) (+1)
    EX: Selective Attack (+1)
    EX: Action 1 (Move) (+1)


    04-19-06, 11:44 PM #62
    hero4hire

    Roughneck HP: 1 Status: Uninjured

    Nick saw that there is some distnce between him and the bugs. He also saw there is no way of keeping up with a Human Toad and a Gun Toating Monkey amped up on Bio-Energy. So Nick had to do what he knew best...Take the fight to them. He started running down the bridge towards the lot of them.

    OOC: Move all-out 120'

    04-19-06, 11:47 PM #63
    Hellzon

    Toad's eyes narrow in anger, as he mouths to the girl. "Don't worry, I'm coming for you." He taps the communicator. "Gotta go...BZZZZZT"
    The static overcomes the transmission as he leaps off the ambulance, leaving a dent in the roof of the it. He flips in the air, flying towards the bugbot closest to the van in a flying kick.
    "Pick on someone your own size, tin can!"


    Spoiler:
    Full action: Charge 300 feet (should be doable with boosted leaping) and attack one of the four bugbots still working on the van. Attack bonus +7 with charge, works out to a neat 18. Damage DC is 23 (Toughness, bruise).

    Defense is 16 (10 flatfooted) until the penalty from charge wears off. Note to self: Get Move-By Attack.
    Oh and Fort save vs scary ghost clerics' spells is +8, in case I go before him and get caught in the spell.

    Friendly Neighbourhood Rules Lawyer Sez: Constructs (page 148) are indeed immune to effects requiring Fort saves, unless they also affect inanimate objects.
    Of course, I'm neither Salix, Bront or Velmont. Just trying to be helpful.


    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by Hellzon : 04-20-06 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Added damage DC

    04-20-06, 12:01 AM #64
    Erekose13
    ooc
    Figured that would be the case. Guess its time to pull out the pistol until someone brings back a civi in need of healing.

    04-20-06, 04:03 AM #65
    Rybaer
    Pandora reaches under her cape and into the bag. Her fingers dig through the multi-space innards until the clasp around the now-familiar metal chain. She withdraws it and tosses it onto the ground in front of her.

    Before reaching the pavement, the chain expands into a gigantic snake - thirty feet long, two feet in diameter, and elegantly crafted from thousands of bronze plates. The snake turns around, taking up a defensive stance around Pandora. Moments later, faint blue sparks of electricity crackle along and between the plates.

    Spoiler:

    Full round action to summon minion.
    04-21-06, 08:00 AM #66
    Salix
    Taking a kick at the can

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Toad’s charging kick is spot-on, but the bug only shudders slightly and turns towards the now exposed hero. Flames lick out from the torch in the bug’s mandibles, but the blast misses the agile hero as he twists away. Unfortunately, the momentum of Toad’s charging attack and subsequent dodge carries him directly into range of the second bugbot, who has come into a guarded position. Sparks fly as the bug’s arc welder is activated. The blast seems certain to hit the hero, but a last second tuck enables Toad to avoid the corrosive effects of the welder. The other bugs seem to stir to this new threat. Two more move into fighting postures.

    A young female paramedic approaches Pandora and Body and Spirit. “I don’t want to interfere, but my partner and I are willing to drive ambulances down the bridge and back here once your people clear the way. Of course this barricade of wrecked cars is in the way.”, the young lady says clearly addressing Pandora.

    OOC

    Spoiler:

    Toad- bugbot 1 made his toughness save, first bot missed you, second bot hit, but you made your toughness save. B&S’s selective attack would enable him to not target you, so no effect there. His powers have no effect on constructs as discussed earlier.

    Initiative- for this combat round
    GM 24
    TOAD 27
    RN 2
    BUG1 16
    BUG2 7
    BUG3 1
    BUG4 9
    BUG5 16
    BUG6 5


    Code:

    b3
    b1 b2 van b4
    T b5 b6


    sorry for the slow reply



    04-21-06, 06:06 PM #67
    Rybaer

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Salix
    A young female paramedic approaches Pandora and Body and Spirit. “I don’t want to interfere, but my partner and I are willing to drive ambulances down the bridge and back here once your people clear the way. Of course this barricade of wrecked cars is in the way.”, the young lady says clearly addressing Pandora.

    "That's a very brave offer," Pandora says. "I'll do everything I can to help support you, too. Clearing the cars shouldn't present much of a problem."

    She points toward the cars that she wants moved. "Go clear a path through those cars by pushing them out of the way," she says to the Bronze Serpent. While it seems to lack higher cognitive skills, the Serpent is generally pretty good at interpreting her intentions.

    While the Serpent goes about its work, Pandora swings her bag around to the front of her belt. She pulls it open and looks into its depths, willing it to show her a close-up view of the larger mechanical contraption out on the bridge.


    Spoiler:

    Free action to order her Minion. Then use ESP: Visual to get a close up look at the large machine and especially the driver.
    04-22-06, 03:01 AM #68
    Erekose13
    (ooc: I am going to be out of town, sorry about that. Action is just getting going. Please NPC Body and Spirit.)


    04-22-06, 03:02 AM #69
    Salix
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rybaer
    "That's a very brave offer," Pandora says. "I'll do everything I can to help support you, too. Clearing the cars shouldn't present much of a problem."

    She points toward the cars that she wants moved. "Go clear a path through those cars by pushing them out of the way," she says to the Bronze Serpent. While it seems to lack higher cognitive skills, the Serpent is generally pretty good at interpreting her intentions.

    While the Serpent goes about its work, Pandora swings her bag around to the front of her belt. She pulls it open and looks into its depths, willing it to show her a close-up view of the larger mechanical contraption out on the bridge.


    Spoiler:

    Free action to order her Minion. Then use ESP: Visual to get a close up look at the large machine and especially the driver.

    "Let us know when we can be useful", the young woman says as she heads over to her ambulance to brief the gathered paramedics on what transpired.

    Pandora looks into her "box" and sees the image of of an old man in a lab smock, his face contorted in the stereotypical mad scientists cackle (see attached image, I thought you'd never ask )

    OOC: it will take the bronze serpent 20 rounds (2 minutes) to clear a path the ambulances can get through. If Toad, Gun Monkey, and Roughneck can give me the next few rounds in advance (with contingincies), I'll try to get the next few round taken care of. Any feedback for the rookie GM, things you don't like and things you'd like to see more of. I'm here to make the game enjoyable for you guys.
    Attached Images Dr_Null_closeup.jpg (38.9 KB, 10 views)

    04-22-06, 03:22 AM #70
    Salix


    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Erekose13
    (ooc: I am going to be out of town, sorry about that. Action is just getting going. Please NPC Body and Spirit.)


    No problem. I expect Rybear to interact with the folks at the barricade. I will have B&S move fairly cautiously depending on how long it takes the other three to take care of the 6 bots. Just so everyone knows I will be out of town from May 2-9 as I visit my wife in sunny Fairbanks, Alaska. I'm not expecting to have internet access at that time.


    04-22-06, 12:08 PM #71
    Hellzon
    William "Toad" Todd

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Toad looks around as he slowly gets surrounded by the bugbots. Tough customers. Well, I've been in worse situations.
    He sticks his tongue out at the bots. "Guess what! No frog legs for you!" he taunts before starting to move in on the bots in a defensive stance, trying to look as threatening as possible before lashing out with another kick.


    ze plan
    With contingencies? Well, let's see.
    This round:
    Move action: Try to trick the bots. See "Plan A".
    Standard action: Another kick at the adjacent bugbot. See plan B
    Options: Defensive stance (page 161). Attack bonus goes down to +1, defense goes up to 20 (no idea how this interacts with flatfootedness, but they're not likely to start feinting, are they? )
    Plan A: Trick (roll is...26). Taking a -5 penalty for doing it as a move action. The goal is to get the last 2 bugbots to worry about me rather than the girl in the van. Sooo not expecting that to work, since they're probably mindless (page 148 again), but hey, it might.
    Plan B: If interaction skills prove useless, clobber time! Attack roll for this round is 6. Whiff whiff.
    Coming rounds:
    If trick actually works, use the move actions to piss off all the bots and the standard actions to kick them.
    If trick doesn't work, well, move actions to move around, I guess. Still kicking the bots.
    Should all the bots actually get away from the van, or if Toad gets hurt, the plan changes to "kick open the van door, grab the girl, go boingy back to the ambulances".
    In either case, maintaining defensive stance as noted above.

    Oh, and that's one kickarse picture. Pity Toad can't see it and insult the guy in every possible way there is.

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by Hellzon : 04-22-06 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Added an escape clause, since I'm no Roughneck

    04-22-06, 02:22 PM #72
    hero4hire

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Salix
    OOC: it will take the bronze serpent 20 rounds (2 minutes) to clear a path the ambulances can get through. If Toad, Gun Monkey, and Roughneck can give me the next few rounds in advance (with contingincies), I'll try to get the next few round taken care of. Any feedback for the rookie GM, things you don't like and things you'd like to see more of. I'm here to make the game enjoyable for you guys.



    OOC: Roughneck was running towards the action. Since it was about 300 feet The second round will be spent moving all out again. If not interfered with, or met by the bugs he will charge on the 3rd round. If met by bugs he will attack in Melee. Regardless When He will Take an Aggresive Stance, All-out Attack for 5, Power Attack for 5. Attack Roll is here. Damage DC is 27. His Defense Drops to 3 during the charge!!!!! He will Continue to Aggressive/All-out/Power Attack until they hurt him. During rounds he does this he will be +11 to hit, Damage DC 27, Defense 5. They start hurting him, then he might change tactics.


    04-22-06, 02:24 PM #73
    Rybaer
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Salix
    Pandora looks into her "box" and sees the image of of an old man in a lab smock, his face contorted in the stereotypical mad scientists cackle (see attached image, I thought you'd never ask )

    "Okay, that's one garden variety mad scientist at the controls of the mother...er, bug," she says. After getting a good look at him and the kinds of controls the contraption uses, she'll move her field of view back and then scan down the outer length of his vehicle. She will pay particular attention to the mechanics of the long legs - articulation points, means of motivation, and contact points for the feet.

    She glances up for a moment just to make sure the Bronze Serpent is moving the cars properly.


    (ooc - you're doing fine GM's so far. The only suggestion I'd offer...as a means of making things easier to manage...is to just make one Initiative roll for all "like" minions. Lot easier to keep track of who goes when.)


    04-24-06, 03:36 AM #74
    Bront

    OOC: Sorry, was away at a con. NO problems so far, and yes you got the range right.

    Gun Monkey moves easily through the bridge suspention (swinging), as he fires another shot at the bugs still carving the van.



    04-24-06, 05:59 AM #75
    Salix
    Hey over here!

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Gun Monkey fires at one of the bugs closest to the minivan. The blast hits the bug in the center of its head. The bot begins to throw sparks and move erratically before shuddering and slumping limply to the ground.



    Toad
    Toad seeing this tries to draw the attention of the two nearest remaining bugs to the minivan. Neither react to the hero, but Toad does notice something that sends a chill through him. A woman is slumped against steering wheel, blood marking the blossom of shattered glass where her head hit the windshield. Behind her shoulder is a small baby, obliviously asleep in a carseat on the passenger side of the van. The bugs are cutting the sliding door from the passenger side of the van. Toad notices that the bugs are halfway done with creating a “Frankenstein” version of themselves from car parts they have salvaged. As he looks around he can see pieces of the newly created bugbot that match missing sections of nearby automobiles.


    Toad leaps at one of the bugs closest to the van. The bug, seemingly unaware of the green clad acrobat, moves to continue cutting away at the door, causing Toad to miss him. However, the last two bugs that were continuing their work now stop and turn to this new threat. The arc weld blast from the B2 misses Toad, but the near simultaneous blast of flame from b5 catches Toad. The other two bugbots (b1 and b6) move into attack position for next round.

    Code:

    B3
    b2 van X
    b1 T b5
    b6


    OOC: Toad is bruised and stunned! 1 HP awarded to Toad for distracting bugs from the family in the minivan. Next round: I know Roughneck charges, but maybe H4H needs to pick a target. In fact let’s hear what everyone wants to do and who they want to attack. X marks the bot that OGM has disabled. Map is the arrangement after the round.

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by Salix : 04-24-06 at 06:05 AM. Reason: edit map


    04-24-06, 06:52 AM #76
    hero4hire
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Salix
    Next round: I know Roughneck charges, but maybe H4H needs to pick a target.



    OOC: First bug he reaches...

    04-24-06, 03:20 PM #77
    Bront

    Gun Monkey makes an acrobatic leap through the air (moving his full 85, as he has had a running start), before he again latches on to the supports and begins swinning once again towards the bots, taking a shot at one of them (B6)

    04-24-06, 05:11 PM #78
    Hellzon
    Toad gets a smug grin on his face as one of the bugs is turned into scrap by Gun Monkey. The grin is wiped away as he sees the rest of the family, and turns into a yelp of pain as he is briefly engulfed by flames from the second bugbot. It nearly puts him down, but he weathers the assault. Still, he looks relieved that Rougneck is charging in.

    I've got their attention. Time to get smart. He lashes out at one bot, plants his feet in the ground in front of it, and bounces off towards Roughneck.

    "Getting coffee? We've got a family to save!"


    ooc
    Ooh, shiny HP. However being stunned is not healthy for the hopping wonder, so spending it to recover instantly from being stunned. Tactics just got more complicated. Sorry 'bout that.
    This round
    Option: Defensive stance. Attack +1, defense 20
    Standard action: Kick B5, attack roll is 7. Dice, what did I ever do to you?
    Move action: Hop back to Roughneck. I'm guessing he's 60 feet away.
    Any round that I'm adjacent to a bot.
    Option: Defensive stance. Attack +1, defense 20
    Standard action: Kick nearest bot. Same priorities as below.
    Move action: Hop 125 feet towards the ambulances (standing jump is 125 unboosted, so should have plenty of reach to charge back in), but no longer than 250' from the van.
    Next round, and the ones where I'm not adjacent to a bugbot.
    Option: No defensive stance.
    Full action: Charging back in. +7 attack, 16 defense. Hitting the closest bot. Max chargng distance is 25 feet (double moving distance).

    Did that make any sense. Basically, trying to pull off a poor man's Move by-Action.
    Oh, and I'm no expert, but this seems like good GM-ing to me.

    04-25-06, 03:11 AM #79
    Salix
    another notch on his gun

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Once again Toad kicks, but this time misses, possibly from shrugging off the effects of the blast he took earlier. Seeing the powerful Roughneck coming at a very slow full bore, he hops back to the former bouncer’s position. Gun Monkey’s blast is spot-on and the bugbot blows apart in a small explosion, leaving a jagged charred exoskeleton behind. All three of the heroes can hear Toad’s labored breathing through the comlink, apparently it was keyed on somehow during his battle with the bugs. The bugs stay in their present positions.

    OOC: Next round: Roughneck gets his attack. If everyone could pick a target that would be good. Feel free to use IC to roll attacks, although I’m willing to us the ol’ purple twenty if need be. Roughneck’s first natural target would be b5. The gang are all close enough to each other to use comlink's again.



    04-25-06, 07:47 AM #80
    Hellzon
    OOC: Sticking to the plan, mostly. Hitting B3.
    Last edited by Salix; Saturday, 20th May, 2006 at 09:58 PM.

  • #4

    Page 3 of original thread

    04-25-06, 04:44 PM #81
    Bront

    Gun Monkey continues to leap forward and fire, targeting another bot (B1). If he gets close enough, he'll land on the roof of the van
    __________________
    04-25-06, 11:33 PM #82
    Erekose13

    "Can I have a look at the guy, Pandora?" If B&S is able to look through her bag to the guy in the big bubble, then he should be able to use his life control abilities through it too. Provided that is the case, he'll stun the guy, knocking him out.

    04-26-06, 12:33 AM #83
    Rybaer

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Erekose13
    "Can I have a look at the guy, Pandora?" If B&S is able to look through her bag to the guy in the big bubble, then he should be able to use his life control abilities through it too. Provided that is the case, he'll stun the guy, knocking him out.



    "Sure," she says. She holds the bag open wider, allowing him a view inside. To his eyes, however, all he sees is the stitched seams and fabric lining.

    "Bummer," she says. "Guess it only works for me. Would be really handy to be able to show others what I can see through it."

    She will continue to try to examine the mad scientist's vehicle's legs. (see previous post)
    04-26-06, 02:23 AM #84
    Salix
    Make way for the big guy

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    The three heroes rush into the fray. Toad flies above the hulk of b6 and the active b5 to drop kick into b3. The bugbot slumps to the ground in a heap. The flash from Gun Monkey’s pistol jumps out to b1, but somehow the shot goes wide! All of the bugbots seem to be very focused on attacking the costumed interlopers at this point. Bugbots 1 and 2 both fire at Gun Monkey, but both blasts miss. Toad looks up after finishing off b3 to be hit by the flamethrower blast of b5. He takes the brunt of the attack full-on and is once again stunned! Finally, Roughneck comes charging into the scene, crushing the metal body of b5 in retaliation for the attack against his comrade in arms. The bot blows apart, metallic legs flying through the air!

    Meanwhile… Pandora looks into her bag to see only one major joint on the 60 foot legs of the tripod. (see attached image)

    Battlefield after round

    Code:

    X T
    B2 Van X
    B1 X R
    X

    OOC:OGM I'm not sure how close you intend to be. Toad - my dice hate you!
    Attached Images tripod.jpg (46.3 KB, 10 views)

    04-26-06, 05:58 AM #85
    Bront

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Salix
    OOC:OGM I'm not sure how close you intend to be.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bront
    Gun Monkey continues to leap forward and fire, targeting another bot (B1). If he gets close enough, he'll land on the roof of the van.


    OOC: Gun Monkey has been going full bore while firing, so he should be close, as he's faster than Roughneck when jumping. Let me know if he's on the van.

    04-26-06, 07:21 AM #86
    Salix
    view from the penthouse

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bront
    OOC: Gun Monkey has been going full bore while firing, so he should be close, as he's faster than Roughneck when jumping. Let me know if he's on the van.


    Both Gun Monkey and Roughneck can see the mother slumped over the steering wheel of the van now. Gun Monkey can see the child in the car seat from his vantage on the roof.

    OOC: Sorry thought Toad was the one trying for the van.

    04-26-06, 11:52 AM #87
    hero4hire

    Roughneck glanced over his shoulder. Seeing that the much more mobile Gun Monkey was on van. He's gonna need me to run some interference. He ran over before the van planning on using his body as a human shield from the bug weapon fire. "Go get them outta here I will cover you!"

    OOC: Interpose for Gun Monkey or the civvies...While he grabs 'em and gets.
    __________________
    04-26-06, 02:14 PM #88
    Hellzon

    OOC: Grunting in pain for one round then. The cavalry seems to have arrived.

    04-27-06, 12:53 AM #89
    Erekose13

    "No worries." replies B&S. Looking over the battlefield, if he can spot Toad stunned, he'll remove the condition as a move action (range: perception). If he can see the man in the glass bubble from where he is standing he'll try to stun him, putting the pilot to sleep.



    04-27-06, 03:50 AM #90
    Bront

    Gun Monkey pops the door open, and grabs the woman and the child in each arm, holstering one gun, while tossing the other to his tail.

    OOC: I'm going to assume it will take a round to get them both out. If he has time, he'll start heading back.

    04-27-06, 06:23 AM #91
    Salix

    Just to clarify the action. B&S can't see the outcome of the pitched battle because of the large number of abondoned cars between the two halves of the team. The Tripod Walker isn't in sight yet. When Gun Monkey looks into the minivan he sees:1. Adult female, slumped on steering wheel 2. Young infant (less than 1 year old) strapped into carseat 3. Four year old girl cowering in the back of the minivan, gibbering incoherently for her mommy. On a positive note Pandora's serpent is making excellent progress on the barricade and will have a pathway opened in half the time expected (6 more rounds). The bugbots are intently "looking" towards the heroes.

    04-27-06, 08:19 AM #92
    Bront

    Gun Monkey will scoop up the baby and the mother after he holsters both his guns. "Come here little girl, let's get you out of here," he says.

    OOC: that's about as diplomatic and calming as he gets , however, his Inhuman Appearance might cause problems with the little girl (Complication Activation).


    04-27-06, 09:11 AM #93
    Salix

    Both bugbots take aim at the heroes near the van. Roughneck moves into the way to take the hit for Gun Monkey so he can extricate the family. One blast misses entirely, but the other arc blast hits Roughneck. The large bald man bends, but doesn't break. Gun Monkey is able to scoop up the youngest infant, but when he gets close to the other girl she begins to scream hysterically, "Leave my mommy alone!". Gun Monkey is beginning to think that the mother might not be in good enough condition to be moved. Meanwhile, Toad's head begins to clear.

    OOC: 1 HP to Roughneck, taking the hit for teamate, 1 HP to OGM complication.


    04-27-06, 11:31 AM #94
    Bront
    Gun Monkey comms to the others "The mother isn't in any condition to be moved. Someone's going to have to get her here."

    "Come on little girl, we're taking you away from the bad bots. Someone's coming for your mother."

    OOC: If she resists, Gun Monkey will have to grapple her. Grapple should be at +12 at the moment.

    04-27-06, 05:49 PM #95
    Erekose13

    "Pandora, I think we need to be closer for me to have any effect on things. When your serpent has cleared the way, perhaps we can approach cautiously. I still want the two of us to be the rear line, here to escort civilians to safety." say Body and Spirit as he contemplates how best to help out. Were Ben/Spirit to seperate, the two of them might be of more use.


    04-27-06, 06:28 PM #96
    Hellzon

    Toad frowns as the bugbots keep firing at Gun Monkey, despite his attempt to save the civilians. "I guess manners didn't fit in your two-bit brains!" He leaps off, trying to occupy the bots again. Konrad, you'll have some work to do when we clear this up... he mentally notes dryly.

    OOC: Charging at B1. Attack roll: 15
    Oh, and I never quite got this: Are B1 and B2 between us and the ambulances?



    04-27-06, 07:17 PM #97
    Rybaer

    "Copy that, Gun Monkey," Pandora says through the commlink. "We're clearing a path for the ambulance and will be there to get the woman as soon as possible."

    She turns to Body and Spirit. "You're right, we really need to get in there. And I just had an idea of how to speed this up."

    Pandora yells over to the EMS crew. "Get ready to move in. We'll go in with you and offer cover."

    She reaches into her bag of tricks and hurls a small piece of metal toward the barrier of cars. As it flies, it expands in size and lands exactly where she wanted. It is essentially a portable ramp and bridge wide enough to allow the ambulance to drive up and over the pile of cars and safely down the other side.

    "Let's go," she says to Body and Spirit. For now, she lets the Bronze Serpent continue its work in clearing a path.



    04-27-06, 09:44 PM #98
    hero4hire
    Hearing Monkey about the mother Nick glanced over his shoulder at the Minivan.

    OOC: Is it damaged in anyway. If it looks like it will still run he yells over his Mic.

    "Mebbe we can drive the Soccer Mom's Suburban? I'd hate to see an evac team get plugged!"


    04-30-06, 10:18 AM #99
    Salix
    Toad leaps into the air and kicks bug 1, knocking the machine out of commission. The last remaining bot lashes out with his mandibles, missing the costumed adventurer. As Gun Monkey grabs the little girl she starts to scream uncontrollably. You hear a voice saying, "Just what do you think you're doing". Roughneck and Gun Monkey look up to see the lens of a TV camera looking at them.

    Elsewhere... Pandora's ramp looks sturdy enough to drive the ambulance over. If the teamates at the barricade try they will find that the other three are out of radio communication again.


    OOC: The van is between the bugs and the barricade. The mother is blocking access to the steering wheel, unless you want to risk moving her. Three rounds (18 seconds) to drive over ramp, the driver will have to get in vehicle, start it up, then be careful in driving over ramp with an awkward top heavy vehicle. Sorry it took me so long to get back to the game. Lots of late nights with work, then a day out of town today hiking and eating a great Basque dinner in Reno. Also had to figure out the create object power, wasn't sure if I'd allow at first because of size and complexity of object. As I interpreted it you can make up to a 5 foot cube for every power rank. Pandora also has precise, which helps.

    Reminder- Game will go on hiatus May 2-9 while I go to Alaska.

    04-30-06, 10:52 AM #100
    Bront

    "We're getting you to safety little girl," Gun Monkey says to the girl in his arm.

    He turns to whoever is behind the camera lense and asks "And what do you think you're doing?"

    Not waiting for an answer, Gun Monkey holsters his other gun and quickly takes off with a mightly leap and begins making as much distance he can towards the end of the bridge, with his tail helping as an extra hand.

    OOC: He's sure footed as well, so that should help.

    04-30-06, 11:38 AM #101
    Hellzon

    Toad, HP: 1, Damage: 2S

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    "You're next. Feel like surrendering? Didn't think so..."
    Toad lashes out at the remaining bot.


    OOC
    Standard: Regular attack roll (no defensive stance): url=http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=433252]11[/url]. Bad karma?
    Move: Back to the van IF the bot drops, otherwise away from it and charge the bot next round.

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by Hellzon : 04-30-06 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Title



    04-30-06, 02:24 PM #102
    hero4hire
    Roughneck HP: 2 Status: Uninjured

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    "Fu<& Off @$$hole!" he says to the Camera. "Monkey will y--" Roughneck starts to say as he watches Monkey bound away. "$#*^!!! Alright I will do it myself..." He gets by the driver side door rips it off, puts the van into neutral and starts pushing/steering.

    OOC: His effective strength for lifting is 34 w/ Boost so he is just shy of a van being a heavy load for him (lifting it overhead and moving 2/3) so Pushing/steering shouldn't be to much of an issue. He will be as gentle as possible over bumps and whatever. Maybe actually lifting it a bit over obstacles? If it is needed he will use Extra Effort to get the job done. Until he gets to a Medical Crew.

    04-30-06, 07:23 PM #103
    Salix

    Any PR is good PR, right?

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    You see a man in a dirtied dress shirt, his tie smudged with grease, step in front of the camera. “This is Robert Wallace for Channel 4 News. You’ve seen it here first America. Apparently, these thugs are what America and the world has spent millions of dollars on. One a foul- mouthed lout, the other some sort of mutated ape who terrifies small children. We only hope these heroes can redeem themselves by stopping this mechanical menace.”, he reports with a snide arrogance. “That ought to do it, Jerry. Make sure you get footage of the guy in green spandex fighting that robot.”, he says to the man in the leather jacket and backwards turned Phillies hat behind the camera.

    The cameras small view screen swings rapidly over to capture the man named Toad kicking at the bugbot, but sliding off the armored shell harmlessly. The bug turns to retaliate, flames bursting forth from the flamethrower housed in the mandible apparatus. The green clad hero performs a backflip to maneuver out of the way of the blast, the flames barely missing him.

    Roughneck is able to move the van about ten feet before noticing that the mother is getting bounced around a lot. He’s not sure that she should be moving around so much in her condition. A neck brace and back board might be in order.

    04-30-06, 07:49 PM #104
    hero4hire

    OOC: Well at least it is accurate journalism. Nick is a Foul Mouthed lout and Monkey does scare small children...He has us there!

    Nick saw that moving the lady any further without neck support was just going to be bad. He charged the Bot Toad was fighting and yelled "Yo Toad..Ya think you can get a neck brace and backboard so we can get Soccer Mom outta here??"

    OOC: Attack roll 23 Dmg DC=27

    04-30-06, 08:03 PM #105
    Salix

    OOC: Need Toad's actions for the round since Roughneck is last in initiative. OGM will get to the ad-hoc command center at the barricades after this next round.

    04-30-06, 08:10 PM #106
    Hellzon
    Toad, 1 HP, 2 bruises

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Toad sends one last wild kick at the bugbot, before Roughneck comes charging in.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Roughneck
    "Yo Toad..Ya think you can get a neck brace and backboard so we can get Soccer Mom outta here??"


    "You mean I should stick to that plan we have!? Good idea!" Toad casts a glance at the journalist. "That the Wallace fellow? I'm sure I can spare a kick for him too..."
    Toad hunches down and bounces off towards the ambulances. "Neck brace! Backboard! Now!"


    OOC
    Whoops, I don't actually hear that before my action this round. Well, this round:
    Attack bugbot: Roll is 7
    Next round:
    Standing long jump is 187,5 feet boosted (unless a minute has gone and the boosted strength is wearing off). Double move should do it.
    And Roughneck, Gun Monkey and Toad as the PR squad? At least it will be interesting.

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by Hellzon : 05-02-06 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Time Crisis




    04-30-06, 08:56 PM #107
    Salix

    Jerry continues to train the camera on Toad and the final bug. Both Toad and the bug neutralize each other's offense. Toad kicking and missing, the bugbot hitting, but Toad rolling with the attack to avoid being harmed. The large angry man comes running into range of the camera's eye. Roughneck reaches the robot at a full charge and flattens the machine with a thunderous downsweep of both of his clenched fists. "Now that's some power!", Jerry can be heard saying over the audio of the tape, somewhat lapsing in his professionalism

    05-01-06, 03:32 AM #108
    Bront

    OOC: Cool. BTW, after rereading my own background, OGM isn't exactly the best name, since he's technicaly not (read it yourself, it's interesting, though technicaly not public knowledge)


    05-01-06, 05:37 PM #109
    Erekose13

    Without visibilty or comms, Konrad cannot see Wallace and his camera crew yet. He helps the paramedics and Pandora get the ambulance over the bridge. He is read to heal as needed.



    05-02-06, 04:36 AM #110
    Salix

    OOC:I'm going to stop it here for now. I pulled an allnighter last night to get out in front of work and when I get home I'm headed for a crash. Hope everyone is excited to get back to the game on the 10th. I know I've been having a lot of fun at the helm. BTW I've been calling him OGM because there are now three characters (at least ) based on DMAC's art, but you're right. I decided not to post in the Ready Lounge until I could get back. It would make for some painfully akward silences from Gremlin.


    5-02-06, 05:20 AM #111
    Bront
    OOC: NP. Were's the 3rd?


    05-02-06, 02:08 PM #112
    Rybaer
    Pandora will either ride with the ambulance (holding onto the side) or jog alongside it. She wants to make sure her bridge will support its weight. She also wants to be close by in case anything tries to interfere with its passage.
    Last edited by Salix; Saturday, 20th May, 2006 at 10:45 PM.

  • #5

  • #6

    First six down,120 to go

    The two groups of heroes find themselves at a moment of rest. Toad and Roughneck catch their breath under the watchful eye of the channel four camera. Gun Monkey reaches the van just as it comes to a rest on the other side of the barricade. Pandora's helper has almost cleared a path in the barricade. The young woman and her partner are seated in the ambulance, ready to roll.

    OOC: Looks like there is no backup, so this is where we are going from here. I'd like for everyone to post in before we roll again. Sorry for the delay.

  • #7

  • #8
    Registered User
    Minor Trickster (Lvl 4)

    Hellzon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    561

    Ignore Hellzon

    Toad, 1 HP, 2 bruises

    OOC: Checking in, sir.
    Last edited by Hellzon; Friday, 12th May, 2006 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Subscription
    I have a gaming blog - about D&D4, roguelikes and various gaming

    "Rule 2: Give the players opportunities to use their cool abilities, because a neat class ability or spell that doesn't get used isn't fun. For this reason, I tried to cut off PC limbs for months after Velendo got access to regeneration." - Piratecat, Piratecat's Story Hour

  • #9
    Pandora checking in.
    -Rybaer


    PbP Games I DM and Play (here)

    Very old story hours:
    Aftermath Story Hour and Aftermath II - Free Agents

  • #10
    OOC: Let's resume. I'll ghost hack the other's until we hear from them. I don't wan't this group to slip away I have a small trip next week that's going to eat into some playing time.

  • + Log in or register to post
    Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. W1: Blacklily Violence (Completed!) [Rae Judging]
      By Wik in forum Living EN World
      Replies: 388
      Last Post: Sunday, 10th June, 2007, 08:48 PM
    2. A Sailor Talks Too Much (El Jefe Judging)(completed)
      By BigB in forum Living EN World
      Replies: 209
      Last Post: Thursday, 7th December, 2006, 04:20 AM

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •