Rule for Waking Up?

Clefton Twain

First Post
Just need a quick spot of help. I could've sworn that I saw official rules somewhere for trying to wake up while sleeping using a Listen check. Although, more and more, it seems like I'm making that up because I can't find them again.

Are there any official rules for trying to awaken? I know another character can slap someone awake but can a character try to awaken themself?

Thanks!

--CT

whatisitgoodfor

First Post
IIRC, one of the "official" guys said something to the effect that characters should be allowed a listen check with a -20 to notice that something is going on.

IMC, it's just considered to be a survival trait. If you can sleep through a goblin raid, then the odds you survived level one are somewhere between 0 and nil.

nsruf

First Post
whatisitgoodfor said:
IIRC, one of the "official" guys said something to the effect that characters should be allowed a listen check with a -20 to notice that something is going on.

I haven't seen anything official, but I use a -10 Listen check in my game to give players at least some chance.

hong

WotC's bitch
There are various ways you could run this. One option I've seen is to assume sleeping characters "take 0" on their rolls. Can't remember who proposed this, though.

My preference is to say it's a DC -10 check to hear a pitched battle (see table in DMG) and assume it's practically impossible (-20 penalty) for sleeping characters to hear things. This makes it a DC 10 Listen check, all up. Roll each round until they wake up or are kicked awake.

kreynolds

First Post
Corwin the Confused said:
Is kicking them or shaking them a standard action?

Well, that depends. How embarrasing would it be if you wanted to kick your friend awake but you only use a standard action to make one attack, but you miss? Be safe and wake your friend up with a CdG. :)

Artoomis

First Post
Awakening a creature is a standard action (an application of the aid another action).

Form the SLEEP spell, which is a more sound sleep than normal sleeping, to be sure.

I'd allow a DC10 listen check - that's a base 50/50 chacne each round, which seems quite fair considering the noise of melee.

I'd also be inclined to be generous after the surprise round.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases