Shilsen's Eberron SH (Finished - The Last Word : 9/20/15)

Rackhir

Explorer
shilsen said:
Funny you should say that. It's not always me.

The PCs got a lot of gifts between the previous weekend's session and yesterday's. And, to extend your metaphor, then went and found a bucket of water and tried to drown themselves.

Less metaphorically, we had the single most embarrassing battle the PCs have ever had.

Yeah, we were stupid. We believed you when you said.

shilsen said:
To that end, is everybody on board with Nameless' suggestion to kick Daask around for old timessake? I could set up something with a small Daask outpost, full of poor unfortunate NPCs.

I thought that after a number of very difficult fights against extremely tough foes, we might actually get to have a chance to have fun and just kick ass for once. Stupid me.

I though that we might have a chance to fight something that wasn't going to be a life or death struggle and that we could "Show off" with. What a fool.

Now I know that Shil's idea of a "Small Daask outpost, full of unfortunate NPCs." Is a cr12 encounter, where they are loaded down with disposable one shot magic items like human bane arrows and beads of force. I'm clearly just a gullible moron.

In other words, I was an idiot and thought we'd get to just have fun for once. I neglected the basic lesson that in Shil's campaign that if you encounter a small white rabit, it's always going to be a vorpal bunny.

Last edited:

shilsen

Adventurer
Rackhir, as you can see from the post above, takes disappointment badly.

And now, a short but, I think, meaningful update.

****************************************************************************************
Zathara glares at the intruders and snarls, “I did warn you. Nethatar – kill them.”

His paw moves in a quick gesture and he throws up a protective shield, before casting a second, much more powerful spell. A longsword, apparently made entirely of gleaming black energy, appears next to Nameless and slashes at him. The alienist ducks away, recognizing that the sword of darkness will sap his life energy, and more importantly, the spells he knows.

Like the ak’chazar, Nameless casts a spell with a word and gesture, the assay resistance from Saala, following it with a dispel magic. Though he knows the rakshasa has a ring of counterspells too, Nameless counts on the fact that multiple castings of the spell will get through. “Korm, Luna,” he half shouts and half telepathically commands, “More dispels!”

Meanwhile, Nethatar is striding forward, sword at the ready. She addresses Korm, “Twice, I have cut you down and you’re still here? This will be the last.”

“That’s a pretty good threat from a future rug,” says Korm, but he focuses on Zathara, complying with Nameless’ suggestion. With Six, Gareth and Luna already charging the rakshasa, he figures she will soon be busy enough.

Luna’s huge bulk is first, but her claws simply scrape uselessly off the armor and magic protections on Nethatar. Six, saving his specifically enchanted chain for when he tries to actually cause damage, flicks another one around her ankle. And is then quickly forced to drop it as she pulls back powerfully on it.

Gareth, the last to reach Nethatar, and shudders inwardly at the taint of evil that he instinctively recognizes from her. Blackguard! Then he staggers, as a powerful blow almost caves in the side of his armor. To his surprise, Zathara shouts, “Nethatar – don’t harm him! Kill the others.”

“What?” The thought leaps into Gareth’s mind from the others he is connected to, but there is no time for wondering. He raises the spear that he has specifically enchanted for this moment, calls to the Silver Flame, and strikes. As it comes down, he feels the couatl in his mind channeling the power of the Flame into him, and the paladin feels more truly part of the Flame than he ever has. The spear kindles with argent flames and he plunges it through Nethatar’s armor deep into her chest. She screams in agony, and Gareth sets his feet and pushes more deeply on the weapon*. “Die – damn you!”

The rakshasa stays on her feet, though critically wounded. Her pain and rage overrides her master’s anger, and she slashes again and again at Gareth. Seconds later, he is down and dying in a pool of blood, while Nethatar turns to hack at Luna. As she does so, blood streams from the wound Gareth left. “Master! Heal me!”

Zathara scowls as Gareth drops and then smiles, as he shrugs off a green ray of disintegrate from Nameless. He casts a spell that both wounds and strips away magical protections from Korm and then glides forward. Luna slashes at him with a huge paw but it might as well have been aimed at the mountain wall. Zathara reaches out with his paw, to cast a quick healing spell.

And that’s when the Angels get lucky. In the middle of the wild melee, Nethatar has had no chance to lower her innate magical resistance. And at this crucial moment, Zathara fails to overcome it, and the spell that would have significantly healed Nethatar fizzles out.

Even more importantly, moving forward has placed Zathara and Nethatar between Luna and one of the lava walls. Nameless, just having cast a spell to summon a huge crocodile, which bites into Nethatar’s leg, grimaces in pain as Zathara’s sword of darkness strikes him twice. He ignores the resultant weakness and the draining feeling of his two remaining dweomers of the sixth valence fade, and yells, “Luna! The wall! Rush them now!”

Luna’s eyes light up with feral glee and she hurls her enlarged bulk at them, ignoring the pain of another slash from Nethatar’s blade. 14,000 lbs of bear slams into the two rakshasas, and with a startled cry, both of them are hurled backwards into the lava.

As the liquid flame envelops the pair, their enemies can see that it is surprisingly transparent. The rakshasas are also evidently heavily protected against fire, but few protections can resist direct immersion in lava, and their skin and fur sears. The already badly wounded Nethatar seems especially badly hurt, screaming and convulsing in agony. Zathara, though also hurt, seems less hurt and quickly dimension doors across the chamber, appearing near where the Angels appeared.

Nethatar too, emerges from the lava, but not as neatly or happily. As she thrashes in the embrace of the lava, Six’s chain, specifically enchanted by Gareth with holy power, lashes out. It wraps around Nethatar’s throat, and Six jerks powerfully, almost falling flat on his back with the effort. The rakshasa’s eyes bulge with the pressure, pain and shock clear in the catlike orbs, and then she is jerked forward and out of the lava, landing wetly on the stone, clearly dead.

As her corpse hits the ground, the amber beam (which still links her to Zathara, just as the cone of amber from the Key still shines on the far wall, where the lava continues to slowly recede) flexes, just as Six’s chain had, barely a second ago. To the surprise of everyone, including Zathara, the corpse flies through the air and into the lava wall the amber cone shines on. The beam linking her to Zathara disappears, and the cone grows slightly dimmer.

There is a brighter flash of amber light around the corpse and it immediately begins to sink deeper into the lava. Simultaneously, the body begins to fall apart, even faster than would be natural. While her armor and sword, which had remained attached to the gauntlet on her hand, remain untouched, the flesh and bone falls away, not searing but rather breaking up into tiny flakes that wash away like ashes on a high wind.

“What the – ?” is the thought in every mind.

Zathara cries out, “No! Nethatar!!” And then, with an angry snarl, he turns toward the unconscious Gareth. “Now!”

Instantly, silver flames erupt along the sheathed blade of Kizmet on the paladin’s back. Healing energy pours into Gareth and he opens his eyes.

“You!” snaps Zathara. “Join me! It is your destiny!”

”What?”

A cold, metallic voice speaks in Gareth’s mind. Over the telepathic link, the others can only hear a soft murmur, but the paladin hears and knows that Kizmet is speaking. “Yes – join him! You know your companions,” says the sword, its tone dripping with scorn on the last word, “Are not worthy of the Key. They will betray you for it. Join Zathara and you will become all you deserve to be.”

Certain that it is a trick of the rakshasa’s, Gareth tries to fool it and buy some time. “Very well, I…” he begins mentally, but is instantly interrupted. “Fool. I am in your mind. You cannot lie to me.” Gareth feels Kizmet quiver slightly and a mild pressure around his head, but it disappears instantly and the voice resumes. “You owe much to me. And Zathara. Join us.” The voice grows grimmer. “I will not warn you again. Will you join us?”

Gareth’s answer this time is both audible, and unequivocal. He stares the rakshasa in the eyes and rises to his feet. “:):):):). You.”

“Very well,” says Zathara, paws already moving in the gestures of a spell. “Come forth.”

Gareth’s vision blurs instantly, and it is replaced by a moment from the past. The other Angels also see it, linked as they are to him mentally. It is a battlefield, strewn only with the bodies of the fallen, except for a single stalwart figure in shining mail. The paladin recognizes it instantly. It is the Battle of Grace.

The figure he looks at is Marshal Byron d’Deneith, standing with Kizmet in hand. Gareth himself lies at his father’s feet, eyes closed, a deep cut across his forehead. Byron raises Kizmet and a bright silver glow shines out over the field. The viewpoint which Gareth, in the present, is watching through suddenly shoots forward into the light. An instant later, it changes, to a strangely angled and narrow field, which he quickly realizes is as if one were looking through the blade of the sword.

Kizmet falls to the ground beside Gareth as his father drops to his knees and lays his hands on Gareth. Byron’s lips move in prayer and a silvery glow shines from his hands. Already deathly pale, he grows paler still, while the blood flowing from Gareth’s head slows and fades. Byron sighs in relief and then slowly collapses over him.

A voice begins to speak, the same voice that Gareth now knows as Kizmet’s. “Your father sacrificed his life for you. He asked the Flame to pass on his gifts as a paladin to you. You saw Tira Miron appear to you in a vision.” The voice chuckles. “Didn’t you?” And the vision fades, the entire thing having taken barely a second.

And, with a deafening crack, Kizmet explodes. The hilt, with only a six inch jagged shard of the blade still attached, clatters to the ground.

Simultaneously, a figure appears adjacent to Gareth. It is a fifteen foot tall monstrosity, four arms attached to its heavily muscled body, two ending in clawed hands and two in pincers. Its head is roughly canine in shape and horned, and the large muzzle bears sharp dripping fangs. The cold eyes have a dark humor in them. To the others, it is clearly a demon. To Gareth, it is the one his father banished at the Battle of Grace.

“Greetings, idiot,” it says to Gareth, and then turns to Zathara. “And master!”

:):):):)!” think Nameless and Korm simultaneously, recognizing the creature, though neither has encountered one himself. “Glabrezu!

Gareth, who also recognizes it, has a bigger concern, and as the horrified realization flames in his mind, all of his companions realize it too. As the glabrezu emerges from within Kizmet, where it has lain in wait since the Battle of Grace, Gareth loses every paladin ability that he possesses.

Or, more precisely, every paladin ability that the fiend in his sword had granted him.**

* Gareth did two Smites with Divine Might, hit on both, and criticalled on the first. 123 pts of damage in one round.

** I really wish I had a snap of the various facial expressions when I pulled this off. I’m quite impressed that nobody, especially Gareth’s player, threw dice at me.

Sidekick

First Post
WOW.

Nice one. I also wish you'd got that kodak moment on record. I mush atmid that I'd suspected that his sword was a fiend or fiend inhabited. But that it was also what powerd his Paladin'ness. THATS a super mean RBDM moment.

I must file that one away for future use.

shilsen

Adventurer
Sidekick said:

:D

Nice one. I also wish you'd got that kodak moment on record. I mush atmid that I'd suspected that his sword was a fiend or fiend inhabited. But that it was also what powerd his Paladin'ness. THATS a super mean RBDM moment.

Thankee kindly. I'd been waiting 2 years and 45 sessions for that moment, and it was worth it.

The entire thing began when AviLazar gave me Gareth's background, where he mentioned the following:

During a particular battle in northern Cyre, Marshal Byron and his soldiers were attacked by a superior force. By the time rescuers reached the scene of battle, they found all the combatants dead except for Gareth, who lay in a swoon next to the marshal's body, clutching his father's greatsword.

When revived, Gareth related a strange tale. He claimed that during the battle the other warriors fell until only Byron and Gareth were left facing a number of enemies. One of their foes summoned a demonic creature, which attacked Gareth and struck him a grievous blow. At this moment, Byron raised his greatsword Kizmet into the sky, expending his life in a last effort to slay his opponents. A shimmering light appeared and expanded over the course of several seconds, slaying those around him. The demon was banished back to its realm and the rest fell where they stood. Marshal Byron fell to the ground, barely awake from his wounds and realized that his son, while alive, was about to die. Expending the last of his grace, Marshal Byron prayed to the Silver Flame to pass his life into his son. Tira Miron appeared before Marshal Byron and the near-unconscious Gareth, smiled and laid a hand upon him and his son, the life ebbing from one and going to the other. As Byron was about to pass, he kissed his son's head, and passed to him Kizmet - now dormant. Tira Miron smiled at Gareth and laid her blessing on him, elevating him to paladinhood, and disappeared, even as he fell unconscious. Most of those whom he told this story to thought Gareth was either an outright liar or simply imagining things after having been wounded in the battle. His mother and grandmother, however, believed him, and there was no denying that he had gained the abilities of a paladin of the Silver Flame.

My initial reaction was to nix the whole bit with Tira Miron appearing, since that didn't fit the "nebulous contact with deities" aspect of Eberron I like. But instead I just told Avi, "You know that Gareth might have imagined that. After all, nobody gets to actually be visited by Tira Miron, and paladins can't normally pass their powers on to another. Maybe he just got hit in the head, and memory is complicated."

His response was, "That's okay. Gareth's going to believe that's what he saw. As long as he's got a paladin's powers, people can't really tell him that wasn't the truth, can they?"

And then a little bulb went off in my head and I went back to my place and cackled to myself for a bit :]

I was dropping little hints consistently, as you and the players/PCs picked up, about the sword having some connection to a fiend, and also about something trying to corrupt Gareth via the dreams (couldn't directly control him, because of his Exorcist abilities), but nobody saw the paladinhood angle coming, because they had no reason to. Maybe they would have, if more time had passed, but the PCs finding the Key (which Zathara had not planned on, since even he didn't know it was on the island) and planning to take it to the Gatekeepers made Zathara show his hand much sooner than he had planned.

I must file that one away for future use.

My earnest sympathies to whoever you use that on. Really ;)

shilsen

Adventurer
Vorput said:
...Bu.... I.... No... O... Oh....

Shilsen, you're just plain mean!

Vorp

Guilty as charged. But that's why you come here, doncha?

The meanest line I have ever got to say as a DM was right after I mentioned Kizmet shattering, the glabrezu appearing, and Gareth's paladin powers disappearing.

AviLazar: Wait - so Gareth's no longer a paladin?

Me: No. Gareth never was a paladin.

Everybody: What?

Rackhir: Hah! That explains everything!

Now I just have to work out how to top this little piece of work. It'll take some doing, and probably another two years.

Solarious

Explorer
It does explain everything. And you have to admit: this was given to Shil on a silver platter. You don't hand anything to RBDMs on a silver platter, heart of gold or not. But at least he keeps his Excorcist abilities. Good thing Gareth picked up those Cleric levels, isn't it? :]

On the ass-kicking delivered by the Daask, you do remember your encounter who runs that cartel, right? And who has a vested interest in you? And knows what and where you're going to do ahead of time to leave gifts for you? You should have expected that those bunnies to be slytooths anyways.

Last note: what's going on with the Key and the Rakshasas? I know its going to be a nasty surprise, I'm just not sure for who.

shilsen

Adventurer
Solarious said:
It does explain everything. And you have to admit: this was given to Shil on a silver platter. You don't hand anything to RBDMs on a silver platter, heart of gold or not. But at least he keeps his Excorcist abilities. Good thing Gareth picked up those Cleric levels, isn't it? :]

Yes, it is :)

Actually, as you'll see after the next update, I'm being nice about what he gets to keep and throwing in a little extra. Heart of gold, see? Plus you have to keep the players happy enough to keep coming back, so you can torture their PCs further. It's like my theory on PC death. If you permanently kill a PC, that means its suffering is over.

On the ass-kicking delivered by the Daask, you do remember your encounter who runs that cartel, right? And who has a vested interest in you? And knows what and where you're going to do ahead of time to leave gifts for you? You should have expected that those bunnies to be slytooths anyways.

The answer to that one is an unequivocal "No." I don't think any of the players thought of or remembered that little angle, or paid much attention to a couple of little things I mentioned before the attack. You'll see. And you actually predicted something the players/PCs are going to find out in the very near future - Sora Teraza's been expecting them back.

Nicely done, Solarious.

Last note: what's going on with the Key and the Rakshasas? I know its going to be a nasty surprise, I'm just not sure for who.

That'll be covered in the next update, which will wrap up the fight. I should have it up in a couple of days.

Rackhir

Explorer
Solarious said:

To paraphrase "Cool Hand Luke", what we had here was a failure to communicate.

My impression and that of at least a couple of the other players was that it wasn't supposed to be a "serious" battle. We assumed (and you know what they say about assuming) that it was just a chance to kick ass and show off. In other words, that we were going to be facing forces so far below us on the CR charts that we couldn't be getting any xp (Even if that was how Shilsen awarded XP).

So we went in there cocky and unprepaired. In large part because we thought that was the whole point of the battle. That it was a chance to revel in being high level bad asses, fighting foes who were vastly beneath us.

Thus I deliberately chose to do a number of things I knew were suboptimal, like empowering a disintegrate on a enemy who probably couldn't have taken the base damage and summoned a single SMVI gargantuan centipede, rather than d3 SMV or d4+1 SMIV creatures which is the more combat effective move. Because I thought we were just having fun.

Shil had a rather different idea of what things were supposed to be as you'll see sometime in the not too distant future.

shilsen

Adventurer
Rackhir said:
To paraphrase "Cool Hand Luke", what we had here was a failure to communicate.

Agreed. I think it was more an issue of degree, however.

My impression and that of at least a couple of the other players was that it wasn't supposed to be a "serious" battle. We assumed (and you know what they say about assuming) that it was just a chance to kick ass and show off. In other words, that we were going to be facing forces so far below us on the CR charts that we couldn't be getting any xp (Even if that was how Shilsen awarded XP).

So we went in there cocky and unprepaired. In large part because we thought that was the whole point of the battle. That it was a chance to revel in being high level bad asses, fighting foes who were vastly beneath us.

Actually, considering that the PCs are 12th lvl in all but name, the majority of the enemies were actually low level enough that the PCs would get no XP. You guys did meet enemies who were vastly beneath you, but just gave them every opportunity to mess you up. So they did. For me, significantly weaker foes are those one can defeat with the modicum of effort. But one does need at least that modicum of effort. The enemies one can defeat without even that are the ones for whom I won't bother to roll dice, and the PCs have had a couple like that recently.

And, as we've established often enough in the game, CR really doesn't mean that much. Of the top of my head, with pure MM and PHB stuff, I can throw together a CR4 enemy in 2 minutes who can hit a 30+ AC and crank out 20+ damage per hit.

Six's player, who was the one who was skeptical of the entire attack, said something along the lines of "You know when Shil picks up the dice, you need to bring your A game." I wouldn't go that far, but one's D game won't do it, and short of letting people hit them without any retaliation, I don't think the PCs could have intentionally done worse. It was ... fascinating.

Thus I deliberately chose to do a number of things I knew were suboptimal, like empowering a disintegrate on a enemy who probably couldn't have taken the base damage and summoned a single SMVI gargantuan centipede, rather than d3 SMV or d4+1 SMIV creatures which is the more combat effective move. Because I thought we were just having fun.

I was :D

And I think the other players did enjoy the sheer humor of the embarrassment as things got progressively worse. At the end of the day, for me at least, it's a game. I've always figured that, as long as it's not affecting one's ability to keep participating in a particular campaign, getting upset about what happens to one's PC is a lot like getting mad because someone beat up your imaginary friend.

Shil had a rather different idea of what things were supposed to be as you'll see sometime in the not too distant future.

Yes, we will. One more update should wrap up the rakshasa fight, and probably two more will get us to Daask.

Remove ads