Cardstock Dungeons

KaosDevice

Explorer
I've been looking over some of these folks that offer the downloadable print-to-cardstock buildings/dungeons/what have you and I've got to admit they look pretty spiffy put together. What I am wondering about is, what is the difficulty level involved in most of the construction and many huge plastic tubs am I looking at needing if I get into it? It looks like a fairly obsessive kind of thing once you get into it. The cardstock Firefly I saw built over at Waves in the Black just about brought tears to my eyes. :D

Crothian

First Post
I have some of the fantasy stuff. Not much, it all fits in ashoe box. It wasn't that hard to cut out and put together. I havea good friend (Shaylon) who was able to print color on cardstock at his work and that saved a biut of money. It took a few hours a day for a few weeks to put it all together and it is not all perfect but it is all useable. I don't have talent for this kind of thing.

Festivus

First Post
I tried to put together one of the demo ones rated as "Medium difficulty". I agree with the above poster, it's usable, but don't look near as nice as the site shows them and it was quite a bit of work to put it together.

I think I will be sticking with wet erase on plexiglass or battlemats.

catsclaw227

First Post
I've bought the World Works Chunky dungeons and have yet to put any together, and I was tempted to buy the village works stuff. I suppose it's quite a time committment and the photos are (of course) of scenarios done by guys that have been doing it for years. We'll see how it goes and I'll get back to you.

Crothian

First Post
If people are interested to see non profesional versions of this stuff and I can postpictures of my lousy work and it might give a more realistic idea of what you can do. Of course it wouldn't be hard for a six year to be better at this then I.

catsclaw227

First Post
The world works site has tips and tricks using foam core, mostly to stabilize it all I guess. When I get the time to do one or two of these I'll give you my feedback as well.

Crothian

First Post
I never looked on the sites to see their advice. I just printed it out, used the instructions they presented, and went to work.

Conaill

First Post
If you want some examples of what even an amateur can accomplish with these sets, I'd recommend checking out the WorldWorks Games User galleries. There's *lots* of great stuff on there.

This stuff has a fairly low learning threshold. Definitely far easier than, say, learning to paint minis. But don't exactly expect your first attempt to be representative of what you can achieve with just a little more practice...

Probably the single biggest thing you can do to make your models look better is to "edge" the pieces - i.e. run a marker along the white edges of the cardboard. That alone can make the difference between "crappy cardboard model" and "oh wow!". Other than that, it's mainly an issue of learning to switch your blades frequently, and how much glue to use so you get a strong bond without warping. With a little practice, it's fairly easy to get something that'll look great on the table.

As far as "professionally built models", most of the promotional images (all of which are also on the WWGallery) aren't really "professional quality" builds - at least not comparable with people spending weeks to paint a single 25 mm mini, or months to build and paint a professional quality Hirst Arts diorama. Denny's models for example (i.e. most of their fantasy line) are printed on a embarrasingly low-budget Lexmark inkjet printer, and put together in a hurry in the rush to put the product out. I wouldn't be surprised if Denny spent far more time doing the lighting and photography, and putting those beautiful flash movies together, than actually *building* the damn sets.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases