Storn's art for swipin'!

Nellisir

Hero
So. Today at the IIFFF gallery, there will be a whole gaggle of us artists doing life drawing from live models from 11 to 5 today. IF you are in the Ithaca area, want to hang out with a whole bunch of cool, weird, creative types, COME ON DOWN!

Sure. Tell me AFTER I get home. Sheesh. ;)

Hussar

Legend
Too weird. [MENTION=70]Nellisir[/MENTION] has a post in this thread, apparently above mine, that I cannot see and my "unread threads" list won't remove it. Funky.

Storn

Explorer
So, I’ve been a bit more in the public with my art than usual. The 2nd day of the Ithaca International Fantastic Film Festival Art Gallery events was a 2 live models posing for all of us artists. It was funny watching other artists sketch and the “table” talk was a hoot, as was the jockying for a better position to do our sketches <g>

The 2 Liz’s from Whiskey Tango Sideshow were awesome! They brought very cool costumes and props and a lot energy and fun to their posing. And yes! I wasn’t making up any costuming, that is what they were actually wearing. And yes, balancing sword on her head was held for the entire 10 min pose without a wobble. True pros!

Thought I would share some of my sketches done that day. Every sketch except the sitting pose with the scimitar on the shoulder was 10-20 min poses. The scimitar on the shoulder was a 40 min pose.

3 poses
DancerLiz3posessk72_zps68577ee2.jpg

Headmistress Liz
Headmistresssk72_zps570b2f1d.jpg

Sitting Liz
Lizsittingsk72_zps607ff1e7.jpg

A few weeks ago, I talked about a doing some art at the Johnson Art Museum at Cornell University. This was a sketch I did then based on the “future civilization” of this massive instillation from China.

Future father
FutureFathersk72_zps8a9573d2.jpg

Storn

Explorer
Here are a couple of concepts I have done for Death Tribble.

We have Sea Slug and Ghost Train. I will let you guess which one is which.

I am pretty happy with how both of these turned out, there is something really fun with dealing with color in a very non-comic book way, ie, no real inked lines, but still reading as a comic book concept. The original of Sea Slug didn't have any inked lines, I actually came in AFTER the color and did those digitally with Manga Studio 5. About the only program I can even approach a decent ink job with. I have a really hard time inking with Photoshop or Painter, but Manga Studio 5 does the trick for me.

Sea%20Slug%20F%2072_zpsfngnphik.jpg

Ghost%20Train%20F%2072_zpsxtjxplcp.jpg

Storn

Explorer
Back from the ashes of yesterday...

After years of hiatus, I will be in the Champions game (RDU: Red Dragon Universe) run by Neil C. again. We are putting the band back together, using Roll20, Skype and such, hopefully starting soon. We've been doing tons of emails back and forth.

I have been inspired to draw the characters, although I only have 3 done. I have to switch gears slightly to finish some interiors for Golden Age Champions.
The New Pioneers are a group brought together after a decade long alien invasion of our original game. My character, Hope, is actually the daughter of my first RDU character, Vector. Her red sleeve represent Mars, where she grew up and the blue one represent Earth. Her powers are strength, mini-brick from her grandfather, Ultraman and light powers from her grandmother, Lady White. She has some empathic abilities and strong mental defenses from her mom. I eschewed telekinesis, because I played her dad, Vector, for years. I've done pretty much everything I ever wanted to do with telekinesis over that time.

The Terran, played by Joe C, is a martial artist, with earth shaping abilities. Picked by the Gaea like force to heal the world. We haven't played yet, so I don't know all he can do.

Krys is a being of pure Crystaltech, given sentience during the long alien invasion. Crystaltech was a HUGE plot point for years in RDU. Played by Bill S. He has the ability to mimic almost any energy ability.

The campaign will be trying to rebuild Earth and reconnect it to the Mars colony. Mankind has been devastated, population is down to 1 billion souls. I am really looking forward to the next chapter of RDU.

More to come, perhaps next week. I still have Myrk, Shocks and The Blue to still do. And oh yeah, I want to do a pic of our shuttle craft too.

Storn

Explorer
My character, Hope, grew up on Mars and has a passing familiarity with spaceships and various vehicles. I believe Myrk also has piloting as one of his skills. Neil, the GM, sent out an email describing our approach to the Spire using the STS-014m, built at the martian shipyards and is a space shuttle and VTOL. So damn… I had to draw that!

My sketch was done at lunch yesterday.. the prelim pencils were so quick, but I gotta love Clip Art Studio’s curve and straight line tools, much simpler than photoshops. This is not a finished piece of work, just a quick, mostly digital doodle. But it gets the concept across. Hope affectionately calls the ship, “The Stork”

Storn

Explorer
I shared a couple of pics from my upcoming Champions game earlier. I’ve gotten a couple more done and now that is up as a Clip Art portfolio from LPJ Designs for publishers who might need some super hero art. You can preview all 5 pics before you purchase. And I have several fantasy and super hero clip art collections that might fit publishers needs in addition to the newest one.

http://www.rpgnow.com/product/202529/Image-Portfolio-Platinum-Edition-38-Storn-Cook?

Here are a couple of the pics that have not been posted yet that are in that collection.

We have The Blue, a Lemurian immortal mage, now coming out of seclusion to help rebuild the world. Played by Geoff. An extensive multipower of water based magics.

Blue%20F72_zpsrsl9frb4.jpg

And we have Myrk, a hybrid of two alien races, one of which looks quite huminoid, the Tresselaines. The published Herculon from Champions Enemies is a Tresselaine (I believe). He was on Earth during the 10 year Invasion War fighting for Earth. He is a brick with certain fungus and plant abilities like stretching due to vines and spikes. Played by Rick.

Myrk%20F72_zpszganlhr6.jpg

Storn

Explorer
Here is a private commission I finished a few days ago. For a D&D game, hence potions and hand axes had to be incorporated somehow into the image. He wanted a somewhat action shot. Hope I succeeded. Coming to a clip art portfolio near your home town soon!

Knight%20F72_zpso8pxuha6.jpg

Storn

Explorer
This was a full page illustration that got away. In the sense that it is supposed to be an interior illustration. But the thumbnails that were more scaled to a interior didn’t suit the client. He wanted a sense of scale and wanted bad guys and good guys and pretty specific visuals on the good guys. This turned into full blown cover in its detail. Took me forever. I certainly lost money on this one.

But sometimes you have to take a bullet for the team. It is better to have a happy client than to finish something too fast.

Storn

Explorer
I used to partake occasionally in a contest over at Ten Ton Studios. I had a lunch hour free and thought I would do my first Ten Ton Studio challenge in several years. If you are a member of Ten Ton, you get to vote on the winner. This week's challenge is Superboy. The challenge just started and runs to 9am Thursday. Not a lot of time to get stuff in. But it is always fun to see what is produced.

Link to Ten Ton Studio Superboy challenge here: http://www.tentonstudios.com/forum/index.php?topic=10773.0

I did my entry in pencil, ink and color pencil.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases