Storn's art for swipin'!

Storn

Explorer
A couple more fantasy bits. First up a duo of a deep gnome and deep dwarf. Private commission.

GerymnGlimnor72.jpg

Next is yet another ArtOrder blog challenge. This time, for the ultimate fighter! There was 71 entries, including this one. My concept is that this guy is such a bad ass that he can kick your ass without even seeing you. While 71 entries are a ton to wade through, there are some real gems. The link to ArtOrder is here:

Ultimate Fighter challenge line-up | The ArtOrder

And my entry:
StornCook02UltimateWarrior.jpg

These works are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.
Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 2.5 Generic

Storn

Explorer
There is a really exciting challenge over at ArtOrder, Eowyn vs. the Nazgul King..here at this link (be warned, it is many pages, many images, as this is a WiP thread): Eowyn and the Nazgul - ArtOrder

I have a local comic convention this weekend, and I haven't done comics in quite some time. So, instead of competing head to head with all the unbelievable painters, I decided to play to my strengths; my pencils and my action.

Just so you don't have to sift through the entire thread for my stuff... I will condense it here:

Some prelim doodles
Eowynvsmiscsk.jpg

My thumbs for the 2 pages
Eowynvsthumbs.jpg

First page
EowynvsNazpg1reduxp72.jpg

2nd page
EowynvsNazpg2p72.jpg

Storn

Explorer
I've been a bit quiet on producing commissions of late. The above ArtOrder challenge (Eowyn vs. Nazgul) has eaten a lot of time, as well as some stuff for publishers. But the number one time effort has gone into this piece!

This is DeathTribble's 100th commission, Arachnieda. And we decided to do something special. This is an oil paint, about 12 by 19 or thereabouts. Done on a masonite panel.

I feel like this is really the first superhero PAINTING i've done that has managed that odd fine line between "painterly" yet still feeling like some degree of the slick super hero (or villain, I wasn't told which) vibe that is expected for superhero art. THIS is what I wanted to accomplish so many years ago when I was doing painted covers for Champions... and I just didn't have the skill to pull it off.

So, raise a glass to Death Tribble and his 100!

Arachnieda72.jpg

btw, if anyone has a use for this image as a cover or something, let me know. It is up for grabs.

These works are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.

Storn

Explorer
It has been awhile since i've posted. I've had this art done for awhile, but I've been lazy. I've been busy with a few different things in my life. The Nazgul vs. Eowyn challenge was hellaciously time consuming. But here it is in it's finished form, i was going to letter it, but changed my mind since lettering isn't my strong suit and I wanted to put my best foot forward.

Donato gave me a nice mention in his critique.

And here is a link to the other entries:

“Eowyn and the Nazgul” Challenge Line-up | The ArtOrder

And the link to the judges comments:

Eowyn and the Nazgul Challenge Judging | The ArtOrder

And my pages so you don't have to sift through all the art on those links if you don't want to.

Eowynpage1.jpg

Eowynpage2.jpg

The other thing that is happening in my life is that I'm getting married (in just a few days). Millie, my fiancée, also happens to be my ex-wife.... and I told our story in comic form for the invitation. I've been really coming back to my beginnings, not only in my upcoming wedding, but by doing a lot of sequential art of late.

So, thought I would share my invitation with y'all. And if you do drop by on my wedding day, bring a dish to pass or some beer. <g>

weddingpg1100G.jpg

weddingpg2100.jpg

more art to come.... I've got a few things done. Probably post tomorrow

Storn

Explorer
I promised some more artwork and here it is. First up, an illustration I did for Black Gate magazine awhile back. Unfortunately, it printed a bit dark, but I like the composition.

If you are a fan of fantasy and you aren't reading black gate, you are doing yourself a disservice. There are some very nice articles on gaming, history of past writers, very good reviews of up and coming novels and some great short stories. It is really a privilege to do work for Black Gate. Here is the link to their site:

Black Gate

And here is the pic:

APound72.jpg

And this is a companion commission to one that I did 10!!! years ago.

IndigoF72.jpg

and here is the one I did 10 years ago...

NekoLoRes.jpg

And a recent fantasy commission. Of which, appears in Image Portfolio 3, if anyone wants a higher resolution. I've teamed up with LPJ Design and will be releasing some artworks in higher resolutions to make an extra buck here and there. Linkage: Image Portfolio Platinum Edition 3: Storn Cook - LPJ Design | RPGNow.com

artwork:
Isobelle72.jpg

Storn

Explorer
Back to superheroes! Here is a villain team done for Jeff W., the All-in Gang

AllInGangF.jpg

Storn

Explorer
Here is another one for Death Tribble, along with collaboration from Enforcer84, a frequent poster on the Hero forums. The idea is Tiamat as a supervillianess. I wanted her to not quite have "human" skin. So she is slightly lizardy green in color.

enjoy.

Tiamat72.jpg

Storn

Explorer
Here was a really fun one for me. I was asked for a steampunk horse. Something I've never done before. I think it came out pretty well, but your guys are the real judges.

I'm hip deep in a full background, 3 figures, large landscape, lot of detail, commission and it will probably take another couple of days. So, the output from me is going to be slow again.

Simon72.jpg

Storn

Explorer
Here is another one from the fertile mind of Death Tribble. Maybe we should say "fermented".

As I was drawing this, I kept thinking along the lines of:

"In disguise, mild-mannered, vegetarian, history professor Archibald Reach teaches at a major metropolitan university. But when the clarion call of adventure and danger is heard!!! Off come the tweed and glasses and heeding the crescendo of crime EXPLODES AMERICAN REX!!! The Titanic Tyrannosaur. The Dinosaur of Dynamite. That most beloved of Super Saurians!"

p.s. I totally think Archibald Reach is a giant dinosaur in professor tweed with horn rims. He doesn't transform from man into dino. But with his glasses and academic demeanor, no one knows that he is actually AMERICAN REX. Except for his sidekick Anklesoar aka Andy Ackers, student body treasurer.

{sigh}....Freelance illustration is such a lonely profession....

AmericanRex72.jpg

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases