Storn's art for swipin'!

Storn

Explorer
A cover done for small press. Digital over pencil. Used mostly Painter 11 and a bit of of photoshop cs2.

Expedition72.jpg

Storn

Explorer
First up, I wanted to talk about something I've been meaning to do for YEARS!!! And that is to offer originals and prints for sale. The website Fine Art America has made this very easy for me to do. So, if you ever wanted an Storn original, on the paper, canvas, board, with real paint, pencil or whatever I used that day... come check the below link out...

Maybe you would rather have a print of something, well, this link has that covered too. Let me know if there is a piece of mine that is not up on Fine Art and you would like a print of. I will continue to build up the Fine Art gallery, but it will take some time to get a lot of what I do up.

I'm going to experiment with a combo of more expensive oils, acrylics and the like, along with the preliminary pencils of what often becomes digital colored. Pencil originals will be quite reasonable.

Storn Cook - Fine Art

Now, onto some recent private commissions.

A golden elf
GoldElf72.jpg

An interesting steampunk explorer with "sponge" cooling armor from Lethe
Profexplorer72.jpg

And two Death Tribble contributions... This first one definitely follows his love of cheesecake <g>

Thunderchild72.jpg

falcon72.jpg

These works are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.
Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 2.5 Generic

Storn

Explorer
A few folks have asked for some different types of originals and prints to be put up at Fine Art, here: Storn Cook - Fine Art . I've just kinda lost this week and haven't gotten the time together to get those up. I hope to the beginning of next week. So check back there soon!

Another Death Tribble, I believe this one had input from the Hero Boards. I went modern in the dress, because I wanted the cool contrast, not only of modern vs. monster, but because the colors worked so well against each other. The kanji is "Power", btw.... according to my google fu. Hope you like.

OgreMage72.jpg

These works are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.

Storn

Explorer
I've been doing a sword and sorcery campaign online of late. Called the Swords of a Dying Empire. The Actual Play report is here: (LoA) Swords of a Dying Empire... and we are about 10 episodes in. Using Legend of Anglerre as the ruleset.

Mostly, I'm doing the occasional map sketch that is barely serviceable to get the gist of the idea of where/what the party is encountering. And I just did a really quick sketch of two new, but important NPC allies.

thought I would share.

The Temple of Delleb, recent site of our anti-heroes attacking the Temple as retribution. Sorta Pyrrhic victory. Moving mazes of carnivorous plants, cultists performing sacrificial rites, y'know, typical S&S life in the day...

5999020524_49cbeea2f5_b.jpg

The City of Ahaan is the former Empire's capitol. The PCs just recently got there, trying to ascertain what the political mood was. But even more recently, run out of town for making things too hot.
5731798849_a5c5360502_b.jpg

The NPCs i mentioned...
KobanKeva72.jpg

And a sketch of the pavilion back of my house done for a party invitation. I just did it today and felt like sharing. Maybe it would be useful for a fantasy game as a merchant's pavilion or something...

Pavilioninback72.jpg

Storn

Explorer
Now, up, something a bit different for me... I got to do 3 brothers, for a modern occult game, and they are Seelie or Elves or something. Wanted the pose/photograph look as this actually happened in the patron's game, the posing for a photograph. Thought that was kinda cool!

SeelieTrio72.jpg

Storn

Explorer
Time for the next artorder challenge. I've been working on this in dribs and drabs over the last couple of weeks. Thought I would show the beginning steps before I take it to oils, after which it will have to wait for it to dry before I can scan it.

The Artorder breakdown is to pick 1 of 3 covers described here:

Story Extraction ArtOrder Challenge | The ArtOrder

I haven't done a lot of scifi, thought this would be fun. So I picked "Firaxe".

What some of the other artists are doing, along with very good critiques is here:

Story Extraction ArtOrder challenge WIP - ArtOrder

Here are the pencils I've come up with:

Firaxe72.jpg

And the underpainting, done in acrylic:

firaxeu72.jpg

Storn

Explorer
This was a bit of an experiment. I have a style/technique I use for interiors off and on, for grayscale printing. It is a combo of watercolor and liquid acrylic. I thought I should try and use it as an underpainting for a digital colored piece. I had this multi-figured private commission to undertake and thought this would be a good place to try that.

I've done underpaintings before, but using oil. Oddly, doing an underpainting in oil, I am much more shape oriented... maybe cause I can push the paint around after applying it down.

The "mistake" I made is that I used quite a bit of line in my underpainting, because it looks good for interiors... falling back into how I work for that context. But then I had to kinda fight those lines in the digital coloring steps. Some I left in. Still, I like the solidity of the figures against the more nebulous digital effects in the background. I like the texture of the watercolor here and there bleeding through. Gives some life to my digital stuff, IMO.

Next time, I will just try and keep to more shape oriented painting and really pick those lines carefully, so when I go to the digital steps, I am not having to "redraw" those lines or wipe them out completely.

7advU72.jpg

7adv72.jpg

Storn

Explorer
I went on a mini-honeymoon in the middle of the week. My wife, Millie, managed to trade some hours with other faculty (she is a professor of nursing) and all of a sudden, we had a few days to string together. We had gone to Puerto Rico, but it was mostly to visit family, Millie and I didn't have much time to ourselves.

Anyway, on the last day, under the grayest of skies, perched on a bridge that shook every time a truck went by, which seemed never-ending, I painted this quickie watercolor of the very full Hudson river. We stayed at the Lamplighter B&B in Lake Luzerne, a very nice B&B and this bridge was walking distance from the B&B.

This watercolor wasn't really planned, sorta a last minute thing, although I always bring watercolors with me on trips. I even used water from a mud puddle, so a bit of the Lake Luzerne earth is in this sketch.

On the way home, the flooding was pretty bad, forced off of Route 88 near Oneonta and had to go around 1 washed out bridge in the small town of Morris. Adventures on our honeymoon.

Well, enough of that, onto the art. Thought it would be fun to show y'all EXACTLY where I was via google maps. The "river" coming in from the side is actually from the man-made lake Sacandaga lake, ironically, created to help regulate the Hudson river flood control.

LakeLuzernewcPOV.jpg

And here is what I actually doodled on that bridge...

Hudsonriver72.jpg

Storn

Explorer
Thought I would show a bit of behind-the-scenes on this entry. This is done for the Anonymous challenge over at ArtOrder. You can see other folks entries, as well as a link to the challenge itself here: Anonymous ArtOrder Challenge | The ArtOrder

Basically, we had to ape a cross between an anime and painted style that was used a lot in the Duelmasters CCG. NOT my comfort zone at all. But I did see that there is a lot of line in the original Duelmaster's art, combined with the digital painting stylings we see so much of in video game concept art. Again, NOT my comfort zone at all.

I do not do line on digital well at all... so I fell back on what I think gives a more live line, inking by hand. But since I knew that there was to be somewhat of a painting style, after inking and some erasing, I went back in with pencil to do just the hint of value shading... more like visual footnotes to myself while I went in and digitally painted. So... here is the ink/pencil scan... just so you can see where I was before the color hit the piece. I drew them separately, knowing I was going to move them around and get some overlap in PS. I also knew that I was going to have to finish the foot placement of the troll/ogre digitally, because I wasn't quite sure how he was going to get grounded... the "kitty" was easy, because he is leaping away and is airbourne. Reminds me a bit of Quinton Hoover's work, not as lyrical as his stuff, as I make marks the way I make marks (and he is so totally awesome!), but the strong ink line, backed with some lighter interior lines... similar vibe.

annonpair.jpg

Then comes the color work, the background was entirely done digitally. It is an interesting "style", but I feel that it falls short of the Challenge, that to ape a particular style. I just don't have enough experience in doing something like that, but it was sure FUN to try!!!
KittyvsOgreF.jpg

Storn

Explorer
A trio of private commissions. The Smilodon and the Type 5 demon futurized are both carrying over the technique that I did for the "kitty vs. ogre" just above. That of using pencil to shade on top of a minimal ink line. Then scan, color using mostly Painter, but some Photoshop. It takes a bit of time, especially the Type 5 Demon, which has a lot of fiddly detail. But I kinda like the solidity of it.

"Riley" was just my usual technique of digital color over pencil.

The Demon was also an experiment in warping textures for the snake skin. Btw, the Demon and Smilodon are both Death Tribble commissions. I like to give the guy credit for giving me so much work... and such fun concepts. I really liked doing the Type 5 Demon with a m60 machine gun (although, it is a tough gun to draw)... the m60 was specifically DT's request.

smilodon72.jpg

modtype572.jpg

Riley72.jpg

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases