Storn's art for swipin'!

Storn

Explorer
Got some new commissions to lay on y'all. All three are for superhero campaigns, although Death Tribble's Roundhead might be skirting a line by looking pretty dated.

First up we have a nurse who can predict those who are to die...

Belated72.jpg

Then the power armor of St. George

StGeorge72.jpg

and lastly a "Round head"

Roundhead72.jpg

These works are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.
Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 2.5 Generic

Storn

Explorer
I tend to get really antsy on vacations if I don't do some art. I can go about 3 days before getting a bit itchy. So, I've learned to always take my wee little windsor newton travel watercolor kit (which can fit in my back pocket, it really is awesome!). Now I'm not the greatest watercolorist, I really only do a lot of it when I'm doing casual, fun stuff, art for play, as opposed to professional illustration.

So, here are some shady photos of the watercolors I did while down in Puerto Rico. Since I couldn't get them to a scanner, I shot these with our digital camera.

First up, Mercedes, Millie's sister, loves angels. Mercedes was always very sweet to me 20 years ago and now that I'm back with her sister, she picked right up where she left off. Her son, Christian, was our guide on several days and is a real sweet young man. So, here is her angel.

MerchieAngel72.jpg

Next, Millie's folks go to this church in San Isabel, the town they live in. It is in a nice little plaza square and this was actually the last watercolor I did in PR on this trip. It was quick too. About an hour and 1/2,some folks in the plaza stopped by and watched me doing it.

SanIsabelPlaza72.jpg

Last, Christina, Mercedes daughter, really likes fairies. Millie's dad had picked some fresh gondules, a bean that looks like it comes in a pea pod. I've had them many times in PR cooking, but never fresh. After Don Angel had picked them, Kristina and her husband Fernando and I shucked them while having a nice little conversation. So when she asked for a fairy pic, I thought given our shared fun with gondules, it would make a nice PR fairy.

GondulesFairy72.jpg

Hope you get a kick out of these.

These works are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.

Storn

Explorer
I have three superhero pics for y'all. First up is another for a Death Tribble, a deep sea diver.

DeepSea72.jpg

Next, I'm trying to vary and push the action of my superhero commissions... it is always tough treading that line of being able to show what the character looks like and trying to put them into action shots. One thing we take for granted in comics in multiple images of the same folks... so doing a super elongated perspective punch by spidy hides his spidey logo, but everyone knows that it is on his chest.

I felt with a sleek power armor guy I could get away without showing the chest area and that the hyper perspective is "in character" for the concept of this particular commission and personae.

JetBlack72.jpg

Thirdly, we have the ol' martial artist lady. I was asked not to over do the cat motifs for this Cheshire Cat, to keep it subtle. I was also asked for a practical martial arts costume, still superhero-y (or supervillain-y, not sure which CC is), but no plunging cleavage. So this is what I came up with.

Sidenote: I often clip this images fairly tight... but with this pose I let a lot of white space "breath" under the image, to help give the sense of height.

CheshireCat72.jpg

Lastly, my last pic I did in Puerto Rico, this one we actually kept, as it is Millie's birthday present, I did it on the beach, on her birthday. Scanned it in this morning... and present for y'all.

PlayaSanta72.jpg

Hey Storn, great as always to see your work. I dig the beach painting. Nice and relaxed. Actually, all the Puerto Rico pieces are beautiful.

What's the story behind the Neko in Hell piece? (edit: nevermind; I scrolled up and saw the earlier post about it).

Storn

Explorer
Ok folks, a couple of new commissions for Death Tribble's supers game, as well as my concept art for the latest ArtBlog challenge, Strength Character for a "Roaring Skies" concept. Think bikers on floating motor-air cycles.

I took this opportunity to play around with doing an underpainting in liquid acrylic by hand, then scanning it in and doing the color via Painter and Photoshop. Not quite happy with the paper texture, felt a bit "blotchy" to me.

Here is the link to the blog, so you can see a bunch of other folk's concepts for "Strength"... and mine is below..

http://theartorder.com/?p=584

StornStrengthCharacter1.jpg

Now. Back to superheroes. Although Dirk Centipede is sure an odd one. I gave him a sorta scifi tool use to make him look a bit more than a huge centipede. And Dr. Dark, mysterious baddie.

DirkCentipede72.jpg

DrDesinity72.jpg

Storn

Explorer
Over at ArtBlog, there will be a series of challenges based on the fictitious "Roaring Skies" concept. Fantasy meets bikers. Although, now Jon Schindette is challenging us to come up with stuff that doesn't have ACTUAL motorcycles. But sorta gathers from that rebel, biker vibe. With a large portion of Sundered Skies.

I was inspired, and wanted to continue to push and play with my digital style, that I had this image in my head and had to get it out.

If anyone can use this idea for publication, let me know, we can work out a very reasonable price.

roarskies72.jpg

Here is the link to the 2nd challenge which is upcoming and due this Sunday. I've already got some ideas down for that. Watch this space! <g>

http://theartorder.com/?p=606

Love your work! Just went through the whole archive (how have I missed this?). Love the Centipede, kind of reminds me of a mutant Sathar from Star Frontiers. Of course, now you have me wanting to play a game, that no one around here plays....
:(

Keep up the work, it is awesome.

Storn

Explorer
Love your work! Just went through the whole archive (how have I missed this?). Love the Centipede, kind of reminds me of a mutant Sathar from Star Frontiers. Of course, now you have me wanting to play a game, that no one around here plays....
:(

Keep up the work, it is awesome.

oh, I know how it is when there is a lack of fellow gamers! I feel for ya.

Yeah I think you might be right, that Dirk Centipede probably was inspired by the Sathar in the back of my dim mind. I wasn't consciously thinking of them... but the pose really looks like a couple of those illos from back then.

Storn

Explorer
The ArtOrder concept tuesday rolls along and this is the next installment.
Link: http://theartorder.com/?p=606

This is my "swiss army knife" concept. It is an Elven Sky Chariot, and it is tries to live up to Jon's expectation of
"This is a machine that has more add-on’s than you can imagine. It is the MacGyver of machinery. Able to do anything, anytime."

I actually kept the "add-ons" to a minimum, but the addition of manipulative "etherkinetic" arms I think gives it the aspect of being able to meet lots of mission parameters.

I had an odd inspiration for this one... as a kid, I was very much into building Tamiya tanks from WWII. Especially those from the North Africa campaign (Matildas, Mark IVs and Grants...oh my!). Those models, especially the SAS lorries and jeeps really captured my imagination. I love all the gear that was just slapdashed onto these vehicles.... shovels, axes, bedrolls, camouflage nets, you name it. It was that practicality of the soldier that I tried to infuse into this image. Yup, its fantasy, but ya still need a bedroll, cause you ain't sleeping that Elven "egg". So there is all kinds of odd gear spackled to my Elven Sky Chariot.

elvenskychariot72.jpg

Storn

Explorer
Okay, y'all get a repeat of the elven sky chariot... but I wanted to gang up all three flier concepts for the upcoming Roaring Skies challenge over at the ArtOrder blog. Link to the ArtOrder blog: http://theartorder.com/?p=606

I really had fun with this... just goofy fun.

The Warforged is kinda Eberron specific... but the thought of giant dudes plugging themselves into even more gigantic machines seemed kinda fun to me.

Illthids using their mouths to manipulate their machines seemed.... appropriately gross to me.

Hope y'all like...

StornCookRoarSkyTrio.jpg

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases