Metal fans, come share in the love!

Nyaricus

First Post
So, who here likes metal? Nu, Power, Black, Gothic, Thrash, Classic, Metalcore, et al. Who's your favourite band, your favourite song, your favourite concert, etc? How did you get into metal and the metal scene?

Let's just chat about metal :D

------

For me, I like a lot fo the newer metal. Mainly, this is a product of my enviroment - I've never been exposed to Classic Metal (Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, etc) but I am quite familiar with post-1990 metal.

My favourite major bands are: Bloodsimple, Burn The Priest (that's proto-Lamb of God for you music buffs), Children of Bodom, Coal Chamber, Crossbreed, The Crown, Demon Hunter, Disturbed, Dope, Dry Kill Logic, Flaw, Godsmack, Gorgoroth, Killswitch Engage, KoRn, Lamb of God, Marilyn Manson, Motograter, MuDvAyNe, Mushroomhead, Otep, A Perfect Circle, Rammstein, Rhapsody, Shadows Fall, Skinlab, SkipKnoT, Static-X and System of a Down.

For local Metal, I like: Annelid (RIP), Children of Tragedy, dreadnaut, Figure Four, JAW, Loco (RIP), Port Amoral and Still Village.

I initially got my first taste of metal and/or rock in grade 6 when my friend introduced me to Limp Bizkit and Linkin Park. From there, in Grade 8 I bought quite a few CDs with Christmas money, including Mudvayne, Disturbed, Godsmack and SOAD. I was more into the rock scene at this point, but I was progressively getting heavier in my taste of music. I bought the CD IOWA (by Slipknot) off of a guy from school but didn't like it and sold it quickly. Grade 9 I was getting into Linkin Park again as they had released a new album which was AWESOME (at the time :p).

Grade 10 rolled around and I was getting full into metal. Went to my first concert which was for a (Christian) Rap-Rock group named Thousand Foot Krutch (similar to Linkin Park in many ways). At this point in time, I was a "Nu Metal ONLY" metalhead, and I was more than a bit jaded about my musical taste. That summer I went and saw Finger Eleven in concert, which was another awesome concert (although again not really metal).

Grade 11 came and I was getting into some different metal, more thrashy and blackened. Dry Kill Logic and Lamb of God were introduced to me, as well as Killswitch Engage. I was totally into Mudvaynes new album which was commng up and I was seeing a few local shows.

Grade 12 is and has been the best year for me. I am getting into all sorts of metal sub-genres through a co-worker who is in a band and I lost a lotof my jaded veiws of other metal. Still not into Classic Metal though. However, Metalcore, Thrash, Black and Power Metal are all genres which I am really getting into now. Children of Bodom are a wicked Hybrid of Black and Power metal and I can't say enough of them. Thrash is for Lamb of God, Shadows Fall and Killswitch Engage, all of whom I am so into right now, and finally Metalcore, which I was introduced to by a guy who used to be into metal, then Metalcore (which is a metal/punk hybrid) and now mostly punk.

This year has been possibly the best of my life. So manygood things have been happening, especially since I've been going to so many shows as of late and getting into the local music scene.

---

So, how about you folks? Nightfall, you and I had some banter going on in that pre-crash PHB2 thread, so I'd love to hear from you, among the otehr EN Worlders :D

Shadowbane2

First Post
I've never really gone past 1981 for music, though the early stuff is excellent.

Deep Purple was one of the first (1967) and is still around. Best stuff is 1970-1973. Machine head is in '72, so was Made in Japan, both some of their greatest stuff.

Black Sabbath was good, though they began to slow down after 1975. Just get the Paranoid album. It has most of their hits.

Rush, though technically not Metal, formed the basis for most 80's bands. They were Metallica's main inspiration. After '81, though, the stopped being Prog rock and assimilated into the world of 80's pop bands. Now they sound like Grunge.

Led Zeppelin is also metal, though I don't really like them all that much.

That's all for now.

Aus_Snow

First Post
I like some of A Perfect Circle's stuff, but I wouldn't have thought of them as metal of any kind. . . are they really? I'm not trying to be difficult (that comes naturally, hur hur) - I just don't know very much about music subcategories and where to assign them. I always get the impression that as time goes by, the classifications blur more and more.

But anyway, I do like some metal, yeh. One of my good non-roleplaying friends, a 'black metal' drummer (who is a freakin' awesomely talented bastard, at that), has convinced me to listen to some pretty strange (to my ears) music over the years.

Mark Hope

Adventurer
Bang that head that doesn't bang

Mmmmm.... metal....

I have a pretty diverse taste in music but metal is my first love. You really can't beat loud guitars, crushing bass and a thundering beat. I discovered hard rock and metal back in 1982 with Dirty Deeds by AC/DC and Number of the Beast by Iron Maiden. I was heavily into Maiden, Judas Priest, Saxon and other British metal back in those days. From there I developed a real taste for Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, Testament, Metal Church, Exodus and Slayer - the gods of thrash. Other faves from this time are Queensryche, Sabbat, Skyclad and Living Colour. I'm also quite fond of the classics like Led Zeppelin, Rush, Black Sabbath and the like, but never bought loads of their stuff. Van Halen and early Motley Crue were kinda cool too, but they were about as far as I went with that kind of softer stuff.

In the early 90s I was in a doom metal band called Creepmime. We recorded a couple of cds, toured quite a bit in Europe and then disappeared in a blaze of obscurity. Good times, though, especially playing with genre-masters Death on our third or fourth show and doing a mini-tour with Cynic.

Since then I have gotten heavily into Tool (haven't bought the new album yet - gonna treat myself to it when I go on vacation to the USA next week), Perfect Circle, Opeth and Static-X. Disturbed are pretty damn cool as well. I gotta say, though, that nu-metal doesn't really do anything for me. I just don't feel that fire when I listen to it. Oh well.

Those would be the highlights, I suppose. I could add a whole slew of other bands into the list that I bought one album from here or there. As time goes on, though, I get more and more selective, so my preference is to only list those bands that I really can't do without. All the dozens and dozens of others? Meh, take 'em or leave 'em really.

These days, my kids are listening to Iron Maiden quite a bit. It's a pretty strange feeling to hear Number of the Beast coming from my 8 year old boy's bedroom. The circle is complete :D...

What else do I listen to when I'm not listening to metal? Faith No More (couldn't decide if they're metal - don't think so), Nine Inch Nails (I am an absurdly obsessive fan of these guys), Depeche Mode, Bjork, Leftfield, The Cure, Tricky, The Pixies, Jane's Addiction, Smashing Pumpkins and, oddly, huge amounts of Goa Trance.

gray stranger

First Post
I'm not really 'in to' metal, but I'll gladly listen to Rammstein or system of a down

I used to be a linkin park fan (before the rest) but when they became awfully commercial I ditched the music

I also like Kyuss, I dunno which genre that exactly is, but I like it

and shadowbane2, does deep purple count as metal? :confused: that really surprises me, it seems more like, uhm, early rock :uhoh:

My non-metal music taste is very broad and in fact I'll listen to anything except: Hardcore 'gabba' music (very popular here in holland :\ ) and hiphop, Which I used to listen alot but now despise

Dog Moon

Adventurer
I used to be WAY into that kind of stuff and though I still listen to it, I've branched out greatly and haven't kept up with much of the new stuff. Too much time watching Anime has gotten me into that genre of music and when I found a website with free video game remixes, I think I pretty much left behind the metal and rock except for what I own from a LONG time ago.

Nyaricus said:
lol, so we both gree then that there wasnt anything worthwhile in the '80s, right?

:lol:

Oh c'mon, GnR was in the 80's....at least the first 2 albums were. "Welcome to the Jungle" is a great song, but "Rocket Queen" is my fav off of Appetite.

I tend towards the strange stuff - Europower Metal or Progressive Metal; although I like some of the classics and I enjoy the 80's Hair Metal.

Favorite Metal Bands:
Iron Maiden
Ayeron (And Star One)
Rhapsody
Stratovarius
Marc Boals
Ring Of Fire
Twisted Sister
Motley Crue (the first 4 or 5 albums)

Starman

Adventurer
Nyaricus said:
lol, so we both gree then that there wasnt anything worthwhile in the '80s, right?

Them's just fightin' words. I'll put Metallica, GnR, Iron Maiden, and AC/DC against any of the bands you mentioned.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases