[Shop] di Senzio's Magical Shop

Patlin

Explorer
ooc: Ironwolf's got a sword valued at about 30k, which RA states can't be sold in Orussus at all. I'd rather have the cash, but I think I might be stuck with it.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Patlin said:
ooc: Ironwolf's got a sword valued at about 30k, which RA states can't be sold in Orussus at all. I'd rather have the cash, but I think I might be stuck with it.
(OOC: That is correct. As I've hemmed and hawed a few times (and mentioned that I would never have allowed it if I was a judge at the time), Rinaldo's ability to sell for the same price as buying is strong for a normal game and beyond incredibly powerful in a living world, but it doesn't allow Rinaldo to beat the sell limit of Orussus on very expensive items. I was actually counting on this for TCotM (that he would have to seek out individual actual people to buy the items and not just get 90% for them with a generic sell) because otherwise Rinaldo is going to quickly have, quite literally, millions of GP of profit from buying and reselling items from various high-level adventures.)

Rystil Arden

First Post
(OOC: By the way, when I say 'no breaking the sale limit', that is just for selling to faceless automatic sources, of course. If Rinaldo were to actually buy one of these items and leave it in his store hoping a PC would pick it up, that is 100% allowable, no matter the power of the item)

Velmont

First Post
OOC: That was the plan, while Rinaldo would be looking for a buyer in his next adventure (a side quest that might or might not be successfull, all depend of the master... and it might be usefull to fight a lich too.) the weapon would remain at Orussus, in acse someone would like to buy it for a better price then the one I have bought it (all I want is profit, so instead of selling it at 80%, I could easily sell it at 40% if I have bought it at 20 or 30% of the price).

Rystil Arden

First Post
(OOC: It's not bludgeoning, so probably not super-useful to fight a lich. Fortunately (or perhaps unfortunately? :]) the lich isn't the mega adventure ;))

Patlin

Explorer
Given all of that, I sure hope Rinaldo starts piling up the cash! :)

I've never played with sell limits on items, only buy limits. Sell limits are a pain!

Rystil Arden

First Post
Patlin said:
Given all of that, I sure hope Rinaldo starts piling up the cash! :)

I've never played with sell limits on items, only buy limits. Sell limits are a pain!
They keep everything sane, though. They are particularly important because of Rinaldo.

Just to give a quick example (this is with no sell limit):

17th-level party finishes adventure (they started this adventure at 14th say). They want to sell 500,000 GP (sell price) worth of gear (let's say 6 PCs, so that's very reasonable for a group of that size--they might even have more to sell!). Rinaldo is a nice guy, so he gives them 600,000 GP instead. Then he sells it using his class ability for 900,000 GP. Bang--he just gained 300,000 GP (enough to buy a +10 equivalent weapon and a +10 equivalent armour both!) instantly with no in-character work for it.

But RA, you might say, what if Rinaldo doesn't have 600,000 GP to buy it all?

Well, he doesn't need that much. Assume that these are, let's say, 10 items worth 60,000 each. He buys them and sells them one at a time. It takes no in-character time to do so, so it works out.

Patlin

Explorer
ooc: Perhaps sell prices are required due to the merchant class abilities... unless we were to design a more elegant fix. :shrug: Part of what makes LEW interesting is seeing how other people play the game. I'm not opposed to trying new things, even if I grumble a bit about the extra paperwork.

Rystil Arden

First Post
(OOC: I'd love to propose a fix for Merchant, but I'd feel it incredibly cruel to pull the rug out from under Rinaldo after he spent so much time and effort maxing out the PrC, so even though I feel that the approval of the class by the original judges was an incredibly foolish mistake, I don't feel it fair to ex-post-facto take it away. I consider it a totally inappropriate way to behave as a Judge after the player puts so much effort into making the living world a richer place (as a side note, just this seems to be happening in Living Supers now that they have mostly new judges, and it is just as egregious there, but that's not really a discussion for LEW) We'll all just have to live with what comes next ;)

On a personal note--in my home games, I always make it pretty easy for the PCs to find a unique high-level NPC to bypass the sell limit of their city within reason, but my game has a lot of high-level NPCs. Since LEW is defined to not be so, it shouldn't be so easy (though it still may very well happen). And even in my home game, there were limits--case in point, the PCs at level ~20 found an item estimated at over 1 million GP. They didn't want it, but they couldn't find anyone to buy it except the incredibly well-funded bad guys they were fighting, so one of the PCs met with an emissary of the enemies at neutral ground to make the transaction! (it was quite exciting :)))

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases