[Shop] di Senzio's Magical Shop

BigB

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
(OOC: I'd love to propose a fix for Merchant, but I'd feel it incredibly cruel to pull the rug out from under Rinaldo after he spent so much time and effort maxing out the PrC, so even though I feel that the approval of the class by the original judges was an incredibly foolish mistake, I don't feel it fair to ex-post-facto take it away. I consider it a totally inappropriate way to behave as a Judge after the player puts so much effort into making the living world a richer place (as a side note, just this seems to be happening in Living Supers now that they have mostly new judges, and it is just as egregious there, but that's not really a discussion for LEW) We'll all just have to live with what comes next ;)

On a personal note--in my home games, I always make it pretty easy for the PCs to find a unique high-level NPC to bypass the sell limit of their city within reason, but my game has a lot of high-level NPCs. Since LEW is defined to not be so, it shouldn't be so easy (though it still may very well happen). And even in my home game, there were limits--case in point, the PCs at level ~20 found an item estimated at over 1 million GP. They didn't want it, but they couldn't find anyone to buy it except the incredibly well-funded bad guys they were fighting, so one of the PCs met with an emissary of the enemies at neutral ground to make the transaction! (it was quite exciting :)))

All praise King Rinaldo :p Seriously I hope Rinaldo does become wealthy albeit within reason. He has pioneered the merchant shop owner in LEW and has enhanced the living
aspect of LEW. He is bigger than Walmart! I see opportunities for short adventures to some distant place for a group of adventurers to sell items for Rinaldo. Judges and Rinaldo could determine profit limits ahead of time and allow someone else to DM and others participate in the adventure. Rinaldo would not have to join the adventure even allowing NPC's to establish $ details. Just a thought.

Velmont

First Post
I think it is clear that Rinaldo is meant to become rich. So I won't hide it. Also, the Trader PrC is not an adventuring PrC. It is weaker then any other, but his Haggling and Bargain ability allow to offset that weakness by having more equipment (but walking naked in some caves really show that weakness :p ).

I really expect to see Rinaldo to have a better equipment then his level, but I don't see a porblem to prevent some abuse (like having an amount of gp limits for buyers) as long as it doesn't prevent to sell an item at all. Having to search for one could be interesting, and I love the idea of BigB as having Rinaldo (or Valeria) hiring a group of NPC to find a buyer or carry the goods. That might mean that Rinaldo will have to do almost nothing to sell the item, except to have his gold frozen on that item until the adventure is finish.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Velmont said:
I think it is clear that Rinaldo is meant to become rich. So I won't hide it. Also, the Trader PrC is not an adventuring PrC. It is weaker then any other, but his Haggling and Bargain ability allow to offset that weakness by having more equipment (but walking naked in some caves really show that weakness :p ).

I really expect to see Rinaldo to have a better equipment then his level, but I don't see a porblem to prevent some abuse (like having an amount of gp limits for buyers) as long as it doesn't prevent to sell an item at all. Having to search for one could be interesting, and I love the idea of BigB as having Rinaldo (or Valeria) hiring a group of NPC to find a buyer or carry the goods. That might mean that Rinaldo will have to do almost nothing to sell the item, except to have his gold frozen on that item until the adventure is finish.
The great thing is that the GP limit for sales is right there in the RAW, so we aren't even adding in anything extra. Of course, Rinaldo gets a better deal on sales, so he can actually get more despite the GP limit than others, which is cool (to wit, most people can sell for at most 10k in Orussus, since they sell 50% of 20k, but since Rinaldo can sell 90% of 20k, he can get 18k in Orussus).

Patlin

Explorer
Rystil Arden said:
The great thing is that the GP limit for sales is right there in the RAW, so we aren't even adding in anything extra.

Unless you have a better source than I found, you have to extrapolate from the RAW to get such a limit. I see support for "you can only buy items up to x gp" but nothing indicating "you can only sell items up to 1/2 x gp." Do you have a rules quote, link, or page cite to the contrary?

Rystil Arden

First Post
Patlin said:
Unless you have a better source than I found, you have to extrapolate from the RAW to get such a limit. I see support for "you can only buy items up to x gp" but nothing indicating "you can only sell items up to 1/2 x gp." Do you have a rules quote, link, or page cite to the contrary?
You can only sell items up to x gp, just like all the other people in the city (but you receive 1/2 x for them)--the rules apply to the PCs too unless it says they are different

Patlin

Explorer
Rystil Arden said:
You can only sell items up to x gp, just like all the other people in the city (but you receive 1/2 x for them)--the rules apply to the PCs too unless it says they are different

The rule is, in my understanding, items up to x price are available for sale in a given city. A PC in posession of an item valued at x+y who chooses to sell it can still do so, and get full value for it under the interpretation that I've always used. Is there really a place where it clearly says otherwise?

Rystil Arden

First Post
Patlin said:
The rule is, in my understanding, items up to x price are available for sale in a given city. A PC in posession of an item valued at x+y who chooses to sell it can still do so, and get full value for it under the interpretation that I've always used. Is there really a place where it clearly says otherwise?
It doesn't say that you can, so by strict RAW (which of course is sometimes ridiculous to follow and I readily admit I often digress from strict RAW, like when they broke Spring Attack by accident) you would have to follow the rules for the buying limit. Of course, in this case, the strict RAW also makes excellent sense (merchants won't buy it from you after a point because they cannot sell it back again in that city because it is beyond the buy limit, and the 50% price assumes selling to resellers and merchants--in other words, if you sold it and the NPC put it in their shop, it violates the buy limit), and taking the "that isn't a limit" approach might work for a while but will eventually (though the eventually may be at a far far later point) lead any sane GM to eyeball a houseruled limit (as mentioned above, you might think it wouldn't come up, but I honestly and truly did have the event where the party wanted to sell the 2 million GP True Resurrection necklace they found and I wouldn't let them do it unless they found a specific buyer. Would you?)

Patlin

Explorer
ooc: I'm fine with LEW work in the manner you describe, but in my home games I'm perfectly happy to let adventurers sell whatever they want. The realism gain in such limits isn't worth the extra paperwork to me. Buying and selling magic items isn't fun except under the limited circumstances you describe (when the sale *is* the adventure) and stuff that isn't fun should be kept as short as possible. In fact, in our at home group one player is assigned the task of writing down the loot we find, distributing what we want to keep, and selling off the rest. We usually get an e-mail saying something like "last session we got 11,000 gp each." This way, we can get straight into the adventure.

Rystil Arden

First Post
(OOC: It's a fine methodology. I've played with GMs who do that and had fun games. But all of them who just consider treasure to be a collection of GP also allow the buying limit to be ignored too, since at that point you might as well (in fact, I think the sell limit prevents much more abuse than the buy limit). If you run your home games as you describe but still keep the buy limit, you'd be the first (and that's not a bad way to do it either, just seems inconsistent to me--if you've cracked verisimilitude for convenience, might as well go all the way and make the treasure run super-smooth). )

Patlin

Explorer
We do use a buy limit, but we use a home rule system that one of the group came up with based on pc level rather than town size. Exceptions can happen, occasionally. For example, for a 10% surcharge you can hire an agent to find the item you want to buy. He'll generally be able to locate it in a few weeks or months.

Remove ads