Religions

The_Universe

First Post
A bit on cosmology/mythography/etc. I just have the PHB in front of me, at the moment, so this information, as written, will primarily apply to the basic classes and races, insofar as they may exist in the unnamed world in which Abandoned takes place.

The Basic Idea

In the long-forgotten past, a cruel and demanding god (Asheal to men, Thanial to dwarves, and Calarel to the elves) created man as a race of slaves to toil on a harsh and barren world, to serve his capricious whims, etc.

Man, however, was not alone among Asheal's creations. Asheal's children, 10 gods, were birthed to watch over Man's horrid prison world, and to serve as intermediaries between Man and Ashael. At first, the gods were hesitant to defy the will of their powerful Lord, but soon their concern for Man allowed them to overcome their fear.

At the behest of Sammeal, Asheal's eldest child, the 10 children of Asheal planned to spirit man away, beyond the veil of worlds, to a place of their own creation (the current world). When the moment was right, Sammeal and her eldest brothers and sisters stole man from under Asheal's watchful eye. Asheal was furious, and the heavens erupted in battle for the fate of man.

Sammeal sacrificed herself in the attempt, but the remaining 9 sons and daughters of Asheal were able to escape beyond the veil with Man. On this new world, the 9 mourned the loss of their eldest sister, but soon set about adapting Man to his new home.

Each of the 9 thought that they could improve upon Asheal's design for the mortal races; though some of these experimental "demihumans" have since past beyond memory, some remain. The Dwarves remain lords of mountain and stone; the Elves no longer rule their dark primevil forests, but live on, as well.

Though most man-like races come from modified human stock, they have since grown apart. Though the myth of the nine remains essentially unchanged from race to race, the importance of the various gods varies, depending on who one may be talking to.

The_Universe

First Post
The Nine (+1)

note: the first name listed is the human name for the god, the second is the dwarven version, and the third represents the elven. These are just brief sketches. Expect more detail to develop over time. I'll keep adding to this post as time allows.

Anatial, Valiriel, Ormazurel

The god of law, cities, civilization, order, and justice, Anatial is Lawful. Anatial is frequently worshipped by kings, paladins, and others with a vested interest in the maintenence of civilization. Anatials domains include Law, Protection, and Travel. Anatial's favored weapon is the Halberd. Anatial, in most tales, is female.

Aryal, Tyriel, Mikarel

The god of war, valor, planning, and cleverness, Aryal is Lawful. Aryal is frequently worshipped by warriors, warlords, merchants, and rogues. Aryal's domains include Destruction, Law, Evil, Luck, Strength, Trickery, and War. Aryal's favored weapon is the Greatsword. Aryal, in most tales, is male.

The_Universe

First Post
NuclearWookiee said:
Right now I'm looking at the Sun domain and War domain. You have any member of the pantheon to fit the bill?
Aryal, already posted above, is the war god. The sun god's basic description is below:

Belial, Baldriel, Atenarel

The god of the sun, light, and fire, Belial is Neutral. Belial also claims healing as part of his portfolio, and, as a sun god, is understandably among the most worshipped deities in the Pantheon. In the human lands, Belial is frequently considered the chief god of the 9, though this belief is far from universal. Belial's worshipers are widespread, and may come from nearly any walk of life. Belial's favored weapon is the morningstar.

While that's not exactly what you're looking for, I believe that Belial will have some martial followers, as chief of the Pantheon. Although he is not the War god, he is nonetheless considered a capable warrior.

Belial is typically considered the chief of the 9 because he was Sammeal's consort; since Sammeal was unable to follow the 9 to the world, Belial, as her mourning lover, assumed leadership over the gods.

Last edited:

NuclearWookiee

First Post
Sounds fine to me. I guess the basic question is it conceivable for a follower of this guy to have Sun and War domains? Seems the answer would be yes...

The_Universe

First Post
NuclearWookiee said:
Sounds fine to me. I guess the basic question is it conceivable for a follower of this guy to have Sun and War domains? Seems the answer would be yes...
Yeah - Belial is also the unofficial protector of the entire Pantheon, and thus, he may even have an entire order of warriors dedicated to his service.

The_Universe

First Post
Note: You're only seeing where the various gods lay along the Law/Chaos alignment axis, not the good/evil alignment axis. That's because none of the gods, with the exception of Asheal the god that man escaped from, are assumed to be evil. At worst, the gods are Neutral, but their worshipers assume that they are good, for the most part.

The_Universe

First Post
From another thread:

Duriniel is, indeed, the chief god of the pantheon for both Dwarves and Warforged. However, some among the warrior caste venerate Tyriel, one of Duriniel's brothers. Tyriel is the god of war, valor, strategy, and cleverness - obviously, someone that a warrior can understand. For dwarves, Tyriel is the second-most worshipped deity, after Duriniel.

The only other god that might play an important part in a dwarven scout's life is Freyariel, one of Sariel's sisters. Freyariel is a nature goddess, dedicated to fertility, growth, and love. However, as a nature goddess, Freyariel also considers the hunt part of her portfolio, and is therefore often venerated by scouts, rangers, and others who dedicated themselves to the chase.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases