M4: Under the Volcano [Nimisgod judging] -CONCLUDED

rln

Explorer
"Aye, you know the way of the Mongrel... our feet never rest easily. There's always new things to be found around the next corner. We'll meet again in Orussus, no doubt!"

Ogrin is happy the dwarf has recently bathed; still, he's hung over from yesterday, and being so close to the dwarfs armpit is a nauseating experience.

Ogrin takes turns thanking all the other members of the party as well, in particular Rinaldo, from who he has learned a few new successful feint moves.

[SBLOCK=OOC]Probably, but Ogrin still believes otherwise. I'm just leaving some hints around for it, in case Nimisgod ever decides to do a follow-up adventure. That'd be pretty neat, wouldn't it? :)

Three months to Orussus, btw? That sounds awfully long compared to the map...[/SBLOCK][SBLOCK=The Water Dragon]
Here's a write-up of the water dragon, in case someone's interested. Manzanita, pipe in with commetns if something is totally off the chart.

The Water Dragon is a fine quality keelboat, 40ft long and 10ft wide. It has six oars and a single broad, rectangular sail. Its flat bottom allow it to be sailed upriver, and it is stable enough for sea journeys. Inscribed on the bow is its name, "The Water Dragon", and a wooden figurehead carved like a black dragon adorns is mounted below prow. Near the aft is the rudder and a small stove for cooking food - the rudderman is also the ships cook.

A large hatch in front of the mast leads to the cargo hold which takes about 15 tons, and a smaller hatch near the aft leads to the crew quarters. There is small captain's cabin built into the aft of the crew quarters, which holds a small-sized bed above a desk, and an iron bound chest with a large padlock. The captain has the key to the cabin and the padlock at all times. The crew quarters contain hammocks for six people and two black chests holding the sailors belongings. More people can sleep in the cargo hold or on the deck if they aren't fully used for goods used for goods.

The Water Dragon was previously owned by the Viscount Claudius Causticus. Ogrin was part of the party who ended the life of this traitor on the very hull of this boat, the deck awash with goblin blood. At the end of that endeavour, Ogrin claimed the ship as his part of the treasure. The ship is sized so it can be sailed by small-sized people - most of the previous sailors were goblins.

Other goods aboard the water dragon
About a weeks food and water for seven persons
Six small-sized scimitars
Two small-sized short swords
[/SBLOCK]

Last edited:

jkason

First Post
Ooc

Not sure if this fits the "estate" paradigm, but I'd been thinking about giving Eanos a courier service of some kind. His schtick is truth and information and all that, so it seemed to fit, and might be a decent hook for later adventures if it came down to it.

If not, then perhaps an orchard of some kind. He was raised in the Silverwood, so I could see him having an affinity for trees, as well.

Manzanita

First Post
rln: The water dragon description sounds fine. I assume you're getting the specs to the ship from some source. I think it's an awesome endevour for Ogrin.

jkason: Courier service is fine. Remember, the Knight is the owner, not the worker. Over the centuries, and particularly over the past few years, the Monemvassian crown has accumulated numerous assets. Since King Crassus took over, a number of estates and businesses have been seized on dubious pretenses, such as unsubstantiated charges of treason. These properties have been added to the crown's portfolio. An existing courier service could be transfered to Eanos' possetion. Please feel free to flesh it out with a manager, the approximate number of employees, and whatever. Most of this goes for all of you taking the knighthood.

The Trip to Orussus is about 3 weeks, not three months. Perhaps it's shorter by water.

I'm dubious that a Tower would come with serfs and a library enough to pull a profit. If Ashnar and Tenebrynn combine their holdings, you could assume it comes with enough land &/or library to pull a profit, but I think you should probably only get half the profit others are getting.

Here's the XP award. The bolded number on the bottom under your PCs name represents his award.

Attachments

• XPs.JPG
    XPs.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 302
Last edited:

rln

Explorer
[SBLOCK=XP]Aargh, 47 xp till next level! Where's an orc with a pie when you need one? :)[/SBLOCK]

[SBLOCK=Keelboat as per the SRD]"This 50- to 75-foot-long ship is 15 to 20 feet wide and has a few oars to supplement its single mast with a square sail. It has a crew of eight to fifteen and can carry 40 to 50 tons of cargo or 100 soldiers. It can make sea voyages, as well as sail down rivers (thanks to its flat bottom). It moves about 1 mile per hour."

The SRD also has the average travelling speed for a keelboat at 10 miles per day, assuming 8 hours of travel; I'd assume that when sailing on open seas you're going around the clock, so that'd be 30 miles per day, ie about the same as most horses.

Since this one is smaller (but of good quality), I just assumed the value is the same, but it takes less cargo, and perhaps moves a bit faster (2 miles per hour or 16 miles per 8 hour period or 48 miles for a full day of sailing). The tonnage in the SRD are way off the scales anyway², so I just set it to about 1/4th of the values in the SRD and made it a smaller version.

At 48 miles a day, I'd guess it takes about 10-15 days from Monemvassia to Orussus.

²) Lewis & Clarks keelboat from the early 1800s was 55' by 18' and took about 10tons of load and had 15 crewmen.[/SBLOCK]

Last edited:

orsal

LEW Judge
OOC: Is that experience award on top of the 12,500 XP total that Nurlan was reduced to? Or did some of that award, earned before his resurrection, also get reduced?

Nurlan will be spending a little time in Monemvassia getting acquainted with his new estate, and also travelling doing regular bardic things. Meanwhile he's planning a music festival to inaugurate its rebirth under new management.

While in town, as always, he inquires whether any more has been seen or heard of Irene, the maverick halfling. He also visits with Kim Tensil, the only Monemvassian who has ever really deserved his trust.

Velmont

First Post
orsal said:
While in town, as always, he inquires whether any more has been seen or heard of Irene, the maverick halfling.

OOC: Opale, Rinaldo cousin, have seen her, and she may have spoken to it to Valeria, Rinaldo's wife, who could have spoken it to Rinaldo... come to Orussus, and you'll see the man who has seen the man who has seen the man who has seen the bear :p

orsal

LEW Judge
Velmont said:
OOC: ...come to Orussus, and you'll see the man who has seen the man who has seen the man who has seen the bear :p

You know it, and I know it, but Nurlan doesn't know it. But the next time he does make it to Orussus he will no doubt hear from Joe that Irene actually returned to the tavern.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases